Hiding / protecting the sub under a box

Alexandre

Alexandre

Audioholic
Hi there, I am debating moving the sub slightly, it's currently under the tv and I'm thinking about moving it to the other side of the room (by the sofa). Part of the reason is that I'd like to feel a little more bass while still not waking up the baby so, bringing the sub closer to the listeners would probably be good.

I have a JL Audio fathom 110 which I would also like to protect from the aforementioned baby. ;) I am thinking of going the "enclosing" the sub route.

Something along the lines of:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/119134352618367482/ but not quite this extreme.

More likely an upside down u (lower case n?) shaped wood thing with openings on either end which I would close up with acoustically transparent fabric. Or maybe I could just cover the back and leave the fathom's grill as front protection.

Any thoughts or concerns about this approach?

Bonus question: since the sub will be at one end of the sofa, should I point the woofer towards the sofa or perpendicular to the sofa (facing the tv)?

Thanks a lot!
Alex.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Thats a guaranteed way to render your subwoofer useless!

A wooden box will do nothing but resonate at multiple frequencies and be obnoxious to listen to.

I would simply throw a towel or blanket over to protect the finish, and tuck the ends under the sub.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm not an expert per se, but I suppose that that turning the woofer facing down and gluing some temp legs may not be such a terrible idea.... Could be combined with Warrior's idea above..

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm not an expert per se, but I suppose that that turning the woofer facing down and gluing some temp legs may not be such a terrible idea.... Could be combined with Warrior's idea above..
Probably not a good idea with this sub.

Putting it in a box will also create ventilation issues.

The other issue is that there are not really proximity issues at sub frequencies.

This sub is 25 db down at 25 Hz, and 10 db down at 19 Hz. So although this sub is sealed and should roll off second order, it is in fact rolling off fourth order. So there is a second order low pass filter built in to protect the driver. So there is no really deep bass from this sub.

One of the things I always test in assessing a sub, is whether bass will be maintained at very low volume. Few subs will do this, and very few sealed ones. As I have said before a loudspeaker cone couples very poorly to any acoustic space. This is where efficient acoustic transformation really is the key.

I do not run my LFE signal hot, not even by 0.5 db. Yet it will vibrate your chair and floor at very low output indeed.

I don't think moving it will make any difference, especially given that the sub has room Eq.

Alexandre

Alexandre

Audioholic
Thanks guys! This is just the info I was hoping to get. :)

Would vibration still be an issue if the "box" is open on both sides?

Cheers,
Alex.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Thanks guys! This is just the info I was hoping to get. :)

Would vibration still be an issue if the "box" is open on both sides?

Cheers,
Alex.
You don't need below 30 HZ (or so-called deep bass) to shake a room or as you say "feel bass". Also, don't allow your child to play near the sub.

Alexandre

Alexandre

Audioholic
Also, don't allow your child to play near the sub.
Cute! The sub is in the living room, I don't have a dedicated home theater room and while I have mentioned putting up electrified fences around the speakers, my wife for some reason wasn't too excited about that.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi there, I am debating moving the sub slightly, it's currently under the tv and I'm thinking about moving it to the other side of the room (by the sofa). Part of the reason is that I'd like to feel a little more bass while still not waking up the baby so, bringing the sub closer to the listeners would probably be good.

I have a JL Audio fathom 110 which I would also like to protect from the aforementioned baby. ;) I am thinking of going the "enclosing" the sub route.

Something along the lines of:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/119134352618367482/ but not quite this extreme.

More likely an upside down u (lower case n?) shaped wood thing with openings on either end which I would close up with acoustically transparent fabric. Or maybe I could just cover the back and leave the fathom's grill as front protection.

Any thoughts or concerns about this approach?

Bonus question: since the sub will be at one end of the sofa, should I point the woofer towards the sofa or perpendicular to the sofa (facing the tv)?

Thanks a lot!
Alex.
Warrior's response was correct because bass does cause objects to rattle so this "U" thing better be glued and screwed together very tightly. Sitting this on a hardwood or tiled floor would only make the vibration worse as the box vibrates on the floor. TLS has also nailed it from a ventilation problem.

You however may be on to something if the couch is sitting close to a wall. If it is, you can position the sub with driver firing into the couch and the and back of the sub be pressed tight against the wall. Its not an ideal placement you realize from a sound perspective but from what I gather, its only a temporary set up. In the mean time, start "imprinting" on the kids not to go near "Daddy's sub as it could be dangerous and could hurt you" .

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Cute! The sub is in the living room, I don't have a dedicated home theater room and while I have mentioned putting up electrified fences around the speakers, my wife for some reason wasn't too excited about that.
In the mean time, start "imprinting" on the kids not to go near "Daddy's sub as it could be dangerous and could hurt you" .
Invisible fence knows how to solve your problem!!!
(hide the collar under a "Batman cape" and tell the wife the wall unit is a carbon monoxide detector :D)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis