Hidden folding, projection screen from CES

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Interesting design! My concern would be in the longevity of this design, as I fear a permanent crease could form from folding the screen in like that!

Alexandre

Alexandre

Audioholic
Looks cool, but. How much?
The price seems pretty high, I configured one yesterday on their website (probably the most expensive kind though) and it reached 3500€ that having been said, if the alternative is a motorized, in ceiling option which involves a contractor and all, this might still be competitive.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Personally I don't see how it's worth it. Especially with the risk of a crease. Hang a normal pulldown or electric drop down from the ceiling. Frame it and either sheetrock or use natural wood to cover up the actual tube and I think the "look" would be equally acceptable as hanging something like that on the wall and then having to compensate with a smaller TV so as to not get in the way.

Kinda like this where you build down instead of recessing up. Much, much cheaper than recessing if you think hiring a contractor to recess a screen is going to cost 3500 euros.

Alexandre

Alexandre

Audioholic
Personally I don't see how it's worth it. Especially with the risk of a crease. Hang a normal pulldown or electric drop down from the ceiling. Frame it and either sheetrock or use natural wood to cover up the actual tube and I think the "look" would be equally acceptable as hanging something like that on the wall and then having to compensate with a smaller TV so as to not get in the way.

Kinda like this where you build down instead of recessing up. Much, much cheaper than recessing if you think hiring a contractor to recess a screen is going to cost 3500 euros.

That looks really nice! Out of curiosity, all said and done, how much did this cost you (screen, electrical, labor, etc…)?

One other thing, I could actually see someone doing the faux-picture-frame screen in a house they don't own. It's not a whole lot of work to mount a frame, even a heavy one, on the wall with a couple of anchors and fill them in when you leave the place but an installation like yours fuzz wouldn't be practical in a rental. ;)

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I got the cheap ebay 100 inch electric one. It's getting some waves, but not to the point of getting another, yet.

Maybe in a year or so this Fixed Frame 110. :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
That looks really nice! Out of curiosity, all said and done, how much did this cost you (screen, electrical, labor, etc…)?

One other thing, I could actually see someone doing the faux-picture-frame screen in a house they don't own. It's not a whole lot of work to mount a frame, even a heavy one, on the wall with a couple of anchors and fill them in when you leave the place but an installation like yours fuzz wouldn't be practical in a rental. ;)
Why? I'm in a rental and have been the past 2 places I've lived. One of the places I lived, I ended up just using some curtain rods and hanging some thick fabric in front of the screen for kind of the same look as an old movie theater. Cheap, quick, and easily repaired.

To completely frame one of those out depends on the size of the tube and the material costs where you live. I don't know how much it would cost to pay someone to do it, but raw materials and doing it yourself would cost somewhere int he $100-1000 range depending on what direction you wanted to go in. Closer to a grand to completely enclose a large tube with a nice finished wood theme.

In general, it's easy to do something like that in a rental as long as you're competent enough to put it up and take it down yourself and with minimal damage to the structure. Even better if you repair the holes yourself before you leave. If you're not handy, then it's still possible, just expensive.

Alexandre

Alexandre

Audioholic
Why? I'm in a rental and have been the past 2 places I've lived. One of the places I lived, I ended up just using some curtain rods and hanging some thick fabric in front of the screen for kind of the same look as an old movie theater. Cheap, quick, and easily repaired.

To completely frame one of those out depends on the size of the tube and the material costs where you live. I don't know how much it would cost to pay someone to do it, but raw materials and doing it yourself would cost somewhere int he $100-1000 range depending on what direction you wanted to go in. Closer to a grand to completely enclose a large tube with a nice finished wood theme.

In general, it's easy to do something like that in a rental as long as you're competent enough to put it up and take it down yourself and with minimal damage to the structure. Even better if you repair the holes yourself before you leave. If you're not handy, then it's still possible, just expensive.
I'm impressed, I'm definitely not *that* competent. ;)

Do you have photos of the rest of your room, I really like the screen side of it and would like to see how the rest looks.

Cheers!

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I'm impressed, I'm definitely not *that* competent. ;)

Do you have photos of the rest of your room, I really like the screen side of it and would like to see how the rest looks.

Cheers!
That's not my room, you can see the alibaba watermark across the middle of the image.

I don't have any pictures of the setup I did with the curtain rod and curtains. I've framed out plenty of soffits for pipes and stuff like that so framing around a PJ screen wouldn't be too different.

Here is a picture of one one member's living room who did something like that I was talking about. He went a step further and made it a complete box, only leaving an opening for the screen to come down through.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
That's not my room, you can see the alibaba watermark across the middle of the image.

I don't have any pictures of the setup I did with the curtain rod and curtains. I've framed out plenty of soffits for pipes and stuff like that so framing around a PJ screen wouldn't be too different.

Here is a picture of one one member's living room who did something like that I was talking about. He went a step further and made it a complete box, only leaving an opening for the screen to come down through.

Currently my own screen is just hanging from the ceiling. I'm a renter and wouldn't hesitate to frame around the screen since it's only actually making a few holes in the ceiling to connect some 2x4's to the existing studs, but I think it looks fine and I'm unsure of how long I'll actually be here.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

Thanks for finding it and remembering this picture. All custom job on that box.:)

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for finding it and remembering this picture. All custom job on that box.:)
Of course, I love the custom work you did with the screen and the projector. It's the model I hope to use for when I finally own :D

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If you visit their site in English they discuss a few things that went into the design.

http://www.design-screen.com/en

First, it's designed to fold in such a manner as to not allow for creasing. It has a smoother bend rather than just a 'fold' in it. I guess this is similar to rolling around a roller, which we all accept will not cause a crease. So, no crease.

Another very real issue, is that while tensioned retractable screens are great, they aren't perfect. It is mentioned on their website, but something I know to be fact, that tab-tensioned motorized screens don't have perfect geometry. They tend to pull a bit wide, or a bit narrow towards the sides. So, while you have a flat screen, you don't necessarily have a truly square screen. It's still, by far, the best for a retractable screen, but it is why fixed frame screens are better, and typically why fixed frame screens are anchored at both the top, and the bottom, so ensure they don't bend a bit in the middle.

Anyway, I'm sure it has a crazy price, and I'm not actually in love with the overall design/look. I think if you are going to have a really nice non-dedicated space, you likely aren't into an absolutely perfect home theater setup, but want to have the best looking space, which will mean a soffit with a motorized tab-tensioned screen in it.

But, for a few, this certainly opens up something new, and in the right spaces, it would be completely awesome.

For the rest of us, just get a fixed frame screen. It's still the best money can buy.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis