Hi guys. Setting up my first home theater! What do you guys think?

C

ctciatti

Enthusiast
Hey everybody. I am extremely excited about putting together my first home theater setup! We just recently moved into a new house and for the first time, we have the space to do it! I was also lucky enough to have been given some free speakers to get me started! I have been doing some research and have given it much thought. I would really appreciate any opinions or advice on setting this stuff up, but here is my plan so far:

This is the space that we have to work with. It is a mostly finished basement, with an existing entertainment center. The area that the couch and system will go is about 15' long from the bar area to the front of the entertainment center, and about 13' from the wall to where the right side speakers are mounted.

There are a few downsides to the basement area. Firstly, it is not a huge area to work with but it's big enough to be cozy. Secondly, there is no carpeting. We have kids that make a big mess, so we think we will just get a large piece of bound carpeting for the TV area to warm it up and to absorb some sound. We are shopping now for a sectional to go along the wall on the left side, and L out parallel to the tv position. Also, the toys, the litter box and the kitty apartment will be GONE. This area is doubling as a play area until we get it together lol.

Ok, on to the the TV! Originally I thought I would be getting a 55" ST50 to fill that big empty space, due to the stellar reviews but After looking at a lot of TV's at Best Buy I think I am just a fan of the LED picture just a little bit more. The TV will be used mostly for movie night and for gaming on XBOX360. I believe I will be getting a Samsung UN55ES7500. It just looks awesome, and I am a fan of the camera on top because we skype a lot. I mostly love the thin bezel it has. I plan on leaving the speakers on the entertainment center in the position that they are in above. If I mount the LED on the back of the entertainment center so that it hovers above the shelf instead of sitting on it...I will have JUST enough room to leave that center speaker at rest where it is, and the TV will fill the rest of the space nicely.

As I mentioned, I was lucky enough to get some free speakers! My old man gave me 3 Bowers & Wilkins VM1's for my fronts and center channel. He has had them for quite a while and I always loved them. Placement will be as shown above. He also gave me a Klipsch RW-10 sub. I think these are a great come-up for free!

The sub is going to be placed at the end of the couch, about 2 feet from the bottom left cabinet, aimed out accross the entertainment center. The 4 black Samsung speakers that are mounted up near the ceiling are going to be gone. I will be putting block off plates up where the fronts were located. I will be installing a pair of Bowers & Wilkins M-1 speakers for my rears. I will be keeping the location of the rears up high where the current ones are located. Wires are already run through the drywall, and that position is as close as I'm going to get to optimal.

I picked up last years Denon 2112ci receiver for a pretty good deal, and it should arrive in the next few days. I wanted something with airplay, and MultiEQ XT. I also wanted something that I could expand to a 7.1 system in the future with 2 more speakers. It also seemed like great bang for the buck and I'm all about that. Now for the bad news. I can't fit this puppy anywhere on the shelves of the entertainment center. Whoever built it did so without a great worry for the size of A/V components. The only place it will fit in in the bottom cupboard, just to the left of the center cupboard above. This is NOT a good spot, but it's all I've got. I put an older Denon receiver in there and snapped a pic for scale. The 2112 will be roughly the same dimensions. It is a snug fit.

My plan is to nestle the 2112 in this cabinet, and set up an IR extender and a cooling fan. What do you guys think? I am looking at a dual 120mm fan setup that I can install inside the cabinet cupboard. I would install it so that the hot air from the receiver would be blown out into the center cabinet with the speaker grill material on the front.

This is the cooling fan setup that I was looking at: Coolerguys PRO-Metal Dual 120mm Deluxe Cabinet Cooling Kit with built-in LED Controller CABCOOL 1202-Deluxe-M

My last step was going to be to install a few acoustic panels on the walls to the left and right of the viewing area.

Anyway, that is the plan. What do you guys think about component choices? The space? Any tips or suggestions? Thanks you guys

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Very nice! My jealousy was maxed out, but then you said that you were getting rid of the kitty apartment... :D

That's a nice entertainment center, and you can't beat getting speakers that you like for free. :) After you get everything set up, you'll know if you're happy with it all. Until then, I'd say that you made great choices. Free speakers and a sub, a nice Denon receiver, and a large TV. Can't beat it.

As for cooling the Denon, you'll have one fan blowing air into the speaker cabinet - but where will you have the other fan? Same wall?

T

twoeyedbob

Audioholic
I'm gonna suggest that you'll struggle to fill that space with those speaker's ,nice as they are.
That's a big ole space.
Wish i had a room that size to work with :)

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'm gonna suggest that you'll struggle to fill that space with those speaker's ,nice as they are.
That's a big ole space.
Maybe, but my NHT 1.5s (which don't have much larger drivers) are plenty for my great room that is equivalent in floor space or larger (I'm not sure exactly how big that basement is) with a taller ceiling.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, it's pretty simple. Hook them up and just play some movies or music. If it sounds loud enough and good enough, then that's all you need. If they suck, then let's talk some options. :D

C

ctciatti

Enthusiast
I was thinking if mounting the fans so that they blow the hot air from the cabinet OUT into the other cabinet bi figured that fresh air would just work it's way in through the front. The receiver placement is my biggest fear as that is the only place it will fit.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Maybe, but my NHT 1.5s (which don't have much larger drivers) are plenty for my great room that is equivalent in floor space or larger (I'm not sure exactly how big that basement is) with a taller ceiling.
Yeah, but you listen at like -2db. Are your ears pointy like a bat? :D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, but you listen at like -2db. Are your ears pointy like a bat? :D
No...I listen at -48 dB. :p Sometimes I crank it up to ~ -40 if the source is quiet. :D

Regardless, whether they "fill" the room depends on the user. :)

C

ctciatti

Enthusiast
It's really not as big a space as it seems in the picture. The entire viewing are is 15'x13'.

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
It's really not as big a space as it seems in the picture. The entire viewing are is 15'x13'.
While the viewing area may be 15'x13', the sound doesn't stop at your boundaries ;) hopefully that sub will be able to take care of that room. Since this is your first setup, I think you'll be happy. I forsee the upgrade bug paying you a visit in the future.. It's a great space though! I hope I'm lucky enough to have a space like that to dedicate to my theater in the future :)

C

ctciatti

Enthusiast
Thanks for the input everybody. I will post progress pics as I get everything done. I have another dilemma. I made the mistake of going to a local best buy. I spent some time looking over tv's. I saw an St50. Looked good, but as I said I am an LED fan. I saw that there was a 55" ES7500 open box item for sale for $1400. Looked awesome! Then, I saw something else......a 60". There it was. UN60EH6000. Open box. $1000 bucks. This sounds like a steal! The picture looked pretty damned good to me, even sitting next to the 7500. It's just too tempting. I haven't done any research on this model, but there it was. Looking big as hell. Here is my issue. I want to jump on this. 60" LED samsung for $1000...I just don't think I can pass it up. With the opening I have for the TV To fit, it will be a right squeeze. With the stand on, it will almost completely fill up the space except for 3" at the top. If I leave it on the stand, I have no where to put my center channel. If I mount it to the back of the entertainment center, I will really have to nail it. With the center channel laying on the shelf, I will only have .5" above and below the set for clearance. That may be hard to pull off. What do you guys think? 55" or 60"? Seating position will be approx. 11' from the screen.

G

GFOViedo

Audioholic
I would suggest to go with the biggest that you can afford and that you can fit in the entertainment center. I would go with the 60" LED for $1000 is a pretty good deal. I've seen Best Buy having some 55" Insignia LED TV's for $800 dollars last month. My son has been trying to brake the living room TV for a while for me, but no success yet :D

By the way, you'll probably be needing a second sub. That room looks pretty big.

C

ctciatti

Enthusiast
Ok, so things are going a little slower than I had anticipated, but I just bought a major component! Pulled the trigger on a UN55ES7100. Got a great deal from Abe's of main....$1365 with free shipping! I can't wait!

A

ACsGreens

Full Audioholic
If you had control of lighting in the room i would really think the Plasma would be a better option as they have better black levels, 600hz pan and also more natural looking colors. The ST 50 was a remarkable television for the price and had essentially the same picture quality as the VT series from the previous year. I also just looked up and saw that you bought the 7100 Samsung, not a bad tv at all. I'm sure you will be happy, congrats on the setup.

C

ctciatti

Enthusiast
I read all the reviews. The ST50 got some great marks. I just love the brightness and pop of the LED tv's. at the end of the day I think I would be disappointed with the plasma...reviews be damned.

C

ctciatti

Enthusiast
So, I'm still playing around with the placement of things. I'm thinking of ditching the receiver in a cabinet idea. It's going to have to just sit next to the speaker on the left side of the entertainment center like so
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365539214.652948.jpg

Also, I think I would like to put the sub in a bottom cabinet and just take the door off like this
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365539288.905258.jpg

My kids will just be too curious with it sitting out. Will this alter the sound? It seems to be ported in the front, so let me know what you guys think.

T

twoeyedbob

Audioholic
I'd imagine your gonna get some noticable cabinet vibration going on with the sub in there.
Imo, not a good place to put a sub

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
I'd have to agree with bob^^ if there's anything loose in that cabinet, you'll hear it rattling pretty quickly. If that's where you need to put it though, all you can do is try it and and see what you think..

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis