Topken

Topken

Junior Audioholic
Why don't OEMS like Vizio build a 5.1 soundbar into a tv and have the subwoofer connect wirelessly to the TV's 3.0 speakers and have the rears connect to the sub via RCA like they do their current line up of Soundbars.

NOT saying that OEMS should do that for all their models but how about giving people the option of having at least 1 model/series like that in different sizes. I am pretty sure it would be popular for the casual market.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Not that's its necessarily a bad idea, but it's all going to be based on profits. If vizio included a sound bar, the cost of that tv would be at least $200 more, removing themselves from competitive pricing. (If they include the sound bar they will miss out on extra sales in the sound bar market) as much as manufactures say they are giving the best product, it's all hype to increase profits.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Why don't OEMS like Vizio build a 5.1 soundbar into a tv and have the subwoofer connect wirelessly to the TV's 3.0 speakers and have the rears connect to the sub via RCA like they do their current line up of Soundbars.

NOT saying that OEMS should do that for all their models but how about giving people the option of having at least 1 model/series like that in different sizes. I am pretty sure it would be popular for the casual market.
TVs are unreliable enough and you want to slap more inside? If the screen fails, your soundbar will be tossed with the rest of the TV. Then, the next generation TVs will have different technology, making your subwoofer obsolete.

When I was in school, they taught us 'SIB-KIS', which stands for 'See It Big, Keep It Simple.

Topken

Topken

Junior Audioholic
Hmm it would seem LG has started doing part of it by adding speakerbars/ aka soundbars into their OLED TVs

https://www.cnet.com/pictures/lg-e7-oled-adds-a-speaker-bar-and-glass-edges/

On top of that I am pretty sure the Wallpaper TV from them comes with all the connections built into a soundbar as well if I rememebr right. So yeah its only a matter of time before we start seeing more comapnies dong it and even a few with subs and rears like the Vizio 5.1 bars. I happen to have a Vizio 5.1 bar in my bedroom which is perfect for the 47" tv for movies music and gaming via the PS3.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
I think that the marketing plan is to put as big a TV in as small a shipping box as possible. Adding good speakers makes the shipping box larger. Two shipping boxes won't work in large retail stores.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Plus bigger shipping box = less boxes can fit in a 18-wheeler = higher product cost because states like Calif have higher gas / diesel fuel costs.

highfigh

highfigh

I think that the marketing plan is to put as big a TV in as small a shipping box as possible. Adding good speakers makes the shipping box larger. Two shipping boxes won't work in large retail stores.
Boxes with odd shape are shipped all the time- guitar manufacturers have packaged guitar and amp for a long time, in one box. Looks like an overgrown golf club, but two of them nest together, to make one larger rectangle.

Retail just receives the boxes- what they do after that is their problem.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Boxes with odd shape are shipped all the time- guitar manufacturers have packaged guitar and amp for a long time, in one box. Looks like an overgrown golf club, but two of them nest together, to make one larger rectangle.

Retail just receives the boxes- what they do after that is their problem.
From what I've heard Costco is very strict with packaging. 48x40 skids thats it no exceptions. Not sure about other retailers but with the high volumes being shipped these days its a way to keep costs down. More that can fit on one skid the better, no one wants to pay to ship air. I've heard from multiple people that Costco has 'engineers' to plan pallet layouts, if a company can't fit those specs they are sol and won't be doing business.
I've been in warehousing for a long time and still find it ridiculous the penny pinching that happens in the shipping side but then again it is a very high cost and an easy way to save big $ with 'smart, strict' packaging guidelines.

highfigh

highfigh

From what I've heard Costco is very strict with packaging. 48x40 skids thats it no exceptions. Not sure about other retailers but with the high volumes being shipped these days its a way to keep costs down. More that can fit on one skid the better, no one wants to pay to ship air. I've heard from multiple people that Costco has 'engineers' to plan pallet layouts, if a company can't fit those specs they are sol and won't be doing business.
I've been in warehousing for a long time and still find it ridiculous the penny pinching that happens in the shipping side but then again it is a very high cost and an easy way to save big $ with 'smart, strict' packaging guidelines.
Penny-pinching at high volume makes a huge difference.

My brother went on a back-packing trip to central America after High School and one of his friends made a comment when everyone else was frantically trying to decide how to pack the essentials and finding that they couldn't bring some things they thought they needed because a weight limit needed to be met- "Worry about the ounces and the pounds will take care of themselves".

With bar code/QRC scanners and RFID for inventory control, it should be easy to put the TVs on one pallet and speakers/subs on another, to be sold as one SKU and picked at the time of sale.

As long as the computer doesn't make a mistake.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Not to mention that if all their tvs had it built in, the customers already having one or other external speakers would not look at Vizio. And, they would not build two types, with and without.
Customizing like a new car is out of the question.

highfigh

highfigh

Not to mention that if all their tvs had it built in, the customers already having one or other external speakers would not look at Vizio. And, they would not build two types, with and without.
Customizing like a new car is out of the question.
But if they find that a seller has a problem moving TVs with speakers, it's easier to delete the speakers than redesign or add them. They can get the new packaging in a short time.

Topken

Topken

Junior Audioholic
As I said it doesn't have to be with all models just 1 maybe 2 series and thats it whle you keep the others with their lousy speakers and on top of that it wouldn't prevent others from purchasing seprate soundbar systems when their tv comes with the lousy tiny built in speakers that most tvs are currently coming with. Heck my Vizio from about 2011 has much larger speakers on the bottom of the screen that actually face forward compared to today's where they have tiny ones that either point downwards or backwards.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Costco is genius in retail. On the side that faces the public, they have the stuff I want before I know I want it. On the business side, they have their act together with the suppliers and supply chain like few companies in the world.

If Costco thought they could sell flat screen TV's with audio sound bars built in, we would see them in 6 months. We don't see them at Costco because the brain trust apparently doesn't see the market. I marvel at what they do in such a competitive space as mass market retail. They compete against the most successful and aggressive companies in the world. And they provide a good place to work at the same time.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
This approach would be similar would be along the lines of the Samsung/LG/Sony HTIB that have tiny little 3ohm speakers and a little sub. The optical drive is built into the "receiver" and usually has little or no inputs. Once a part fails, the entire unit is garbage.

Building this into a TV would be about the same and the reason almost nobody does it is because they are in the business of building TVs, not total A/V systems. They separate them for good reason. The more you combine, the higher the chance of failure.

I know some of the super high end TVs have this, LG in particular, but what happens when a part of the sound bar fails? Or the connection between the bar and the TV? I would rather not toss something that expensive because of a failed cable/speaker.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis