Helped set up the son inlaw's system

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
My son inlaw's system except for the display are components I gave him. The amp is a Yamaha RX-V1800 AVR rated conservatively at a 130 Watts/per channel when driving only two channels full bandwidth into 8 ohms. Its a 7 channel amp. I think its was produced in 2008. He has a Panasonic 720P plasma display, a Roku stream stick, and a Bluetooth to analog out converter connected to it. The main speakers are the orginal PSB Alpha, PSB Alpha center channel, and the surrounds are PSB Alpha Minis. There are two subs connected to it, a PSB Subsonic 5 which is a dual port 10" driver, and an Energy S8 single port 8" driver designs.

The initial set up looked like this.
Pet-2.jpg
Pet-3.jpg
Pet-4.jpg
Initiyal Sub Setup Room Response.jpg

The full frequency response of the initial setup
Initial Setup Room Response.jpg

I did not have my laptop and measurement MIC when we first set up the system.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
After moving both subs around and playing with phase, I determined that the best sub locations are as shown
Pet-6.jpg
Pet-5.jpg

Notice that both subs are now oriented with the drivers facing one another. The Energy sub was placed in the corner. Here is the in room sub responses.
New Sub Setup Room Response.jpg

At this point I ran Yamaha's YPAO room correction facility to integrate the remaining speakers with the sub into the room. YPAO put the virtual sub at 12.5 feet from the mic. I then ran a full frequency to see how it looked
Flat_Full_90_12.5.jpg

There's a nasty notch happening between 65 and 150 Hz. I fixed this by playiing with the distance that YPAO had set and I found by trial and measurment that the best integrated response occured with the sub distance set to 8.5 feet as shown below
Flat_Full_90_8.5.jpg

The room is an acoustic mess with bare walls, bare concrete floor, and duct work. The only thing sort of helping is that its an open ceiling. Its a bit too much for the earlier versions of YPAO to handle effectively. I set the EQ on YPAO to try and give a flat response.

Just to make it easier, I'll post full frequency response before and after today's work. There is no minidsp used here.

Before:
Initial Setup Room Response.jpg

After
Flat_Full_90_8.5.jpg

I bumped up the volume of the subs on the AVR side soit effects both subs equally to try and get a Harmon curve.. The red trace is where PEQ has been set to flat, speakers to small, bass sent to subs only,crossover at 90Hz, sub distance is 8.5 feet. The green trace is with PEQ turned off, mains set to large, bass sent to both sub and mains, crossover at 90 HZ, and isub distance set 14.5 feet.
Harmon_Curves_Flat_No_EQ.jpg

Attachments

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
After moving both subs around and playing with phase, I determined that the best sub locations are as shown View attachment 62339View attachment 62338

Notice that both subs are now oriented with the drivers facing one another. The Energy sub was placed in the corner. Here is the in room sub responses.
View attachment 62343

At this point I ran Yamaha's YPAO room correction facility to integrate the remaining speakers with the sub into the room. YPAO put the virtual sub at 12.5 feet from the mic. I then ran a full frequency to see how it looked
View attachment 62341
There's a nasty notch happening between 65 and 150 Hz. I fixed this by playiing with the distance that YPAO had set and I found by trial and measurment that the best integrated response occured with the sub distance set to 8.5 feet as shown below
View attachment 62340

The room is an acoustic mess with bare walls, bare concrete floor, and duct work. The only thing sort of helping is that its an open ceiling. Its a bit too much for the earlier versions of YPAO to handle effectively. I set the EQ on YPAO to try and give a flat response.

Just to make it easier, I'll post full frequency response before and after today's work. There is no minidsp used here.

Before:
View attachment 62344
After
View attachment 62340

I bumped up the volume of the subs on the AVR side soit effects both subs equally to try and get a Harmon curve.. The red trace is where PEQ has been set to flat, speakers to small, bass sent to subs only,crossover at 90Hz, sub distance is 8.5 feet. The green trace is with PEQ turned off, mains set to large, bass sent to both sub and mains, crossover at 90 HZ, and isub distance set 14.5 feet.
View attachment 62342
Looks great and from your measurements I’m sure it sounds great too. Lucky guy and kudos to you for paying it forward. Always enjoy helping out family or friends passing on old equipment and/or setting up systems. Found an old pair of Cambridge SoundWorks M50 bookshelf speakers in light maple at a yard sale last weekend. cleaned them up and checked them out and gave to my friend that has an old system. Texted me last night that he loves the new sound.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis