help X-over settings for 5000ES & B&W 604

J

jason69

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>What should the crossover be set at (Music) I was am using B&amp;W 604s2 &amp; and a 12&quot; Sub KG-5230 from Speaker City USA. I had the STR-DA5000ES crossed over at 80Hz and the mains set to large and the sub set at 75Hz, sounded great at normal to medium volume but not too good when dialed in to 0db to +3db.

I then Crossed over the 5000ES to 40Hz set the mains to small and changed the sub to 60Hz. Could play loud 0db to +4.5db for a long time an hour or so with Jazz Rap &amp; rock type music and sounded loud and clear bass was much better. (bass response wasn’t as good as my 7ES though)

At medium vol like -20db it was missing the punch in the bass so I had to turn up the sub a little. &nbsp;What is the suggested happy medium, or the recommended X-over settings and speaker set-up (Large or Small)??? The manual suggests Large for towers but I've read, more than once, to set to small even if they are towers and using a powered sub.

By the way, this amp runs way cool; I mean way cooool, compared to my 7ES. In the cabined I have the 7ES gets so hot if you lay your for arm on it, (say you are reaching over it to un plug something, you will fry your arm, in two seconds. not the case w/the 5000ES it is so cool, not a bother at all. Did anyone else notice that?</font>

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
<font color='#000000'>jason69,

How does the THD compare between the 7ES and the 5000ES?

Is there audible hiss on the 5000ES cause on paper it shows a high 0.6%+

I was floored by these specs, so you being the first person I know of to own one what is your thoughts?

~Bob</font>

J

jason69

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>NO hiss. It's my (ears) personal opinion. I've switched to Optical from digi-coax it's about the same. As a matter of fact, this morning I was concentrating on setting my crossover and speaker settings. I didn’t even notice the hiss at all but then again I didn’t have my ear pinned up to the speaker because it was way too loud. I was testing in 2 chan w/sub .

It might be a litter messier than the 7ES when way loud +4.5db or so, but i'll have to get out the RShack db meter to be sure &amp; I'll do a side by side soon because i havent pushed my 7ES thought loud in a while. I too was shocked at the THD but if i didnt read the specs, doint know if i would have noticed, i probably would have thought it just sounds different. b/c it's a digi amp.

Every time I get a new amp I compare it to my DA80ES and I still think the 80ES was the cleanest sounding.</font>

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
<font color='#000000'>Thats cool,

I've read in some forums people saying it produces a lot of hiss, but when compared to what? &nbsp;Almost any amp will have some hiss at extremely high volumes.

Considering the volume goes from -80 (if I remember correctly) to +5 or so.

~Bob</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis