Help with (unique?) setup, getting started

C

Curti2

Audiophyte
Hey, I just need a point in a general direction if anyone can. When my father built his house, he made spots for 5 sets of 2 speakers through out his house. He has speaker wire run to every spot that runs to his basement. He would like to be able to remotely control each set of speakers using a laptop or some other device. I know their must be something that can handle this but I am not sure where to start. Also having the ability to play video from this device is a plus!

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Whole House A/V

A distribution amp like the niles system will require additional wiring (cat 5) for keypads in each room. The keypads control the volume and allow any source to be played in any room.

Another simple solution to locally control the volume is to have an impedance matching volume control between the amp (basement) and the speakers in each room. A stereo receiver or amp can drive all 5 pairs of speakers.

OttoMatic

OttoMatic

Senior Audioholic
You could also use an RF-based remote to control the amp from throughout the house if you don't want to have volume controls in each room (or can't implement them for whatever reason). See Harmony 890 or some of the Universal Remotes.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis