Help with teac a-h500i

N

niccav

Enthusiast
Hi

I just got a a-h500i that I'm planning to use with bookshelf speakers in the near future.

Today I tried the headphone out and got some surprises.
1. The volume goes from directly from nothing to relatively loud when using the cd input. Haven't tried the other inputs yet.
2. When I'm using the cd input I can still hear music, albeit low but clearly louder than a whisper on the other input options.
3. When I increase the volume, no input there is a background noice/hiss. It increases with increasing volume
4. Left headphone seems slightly louder than the left. It certainly comes on earlier. I know it's not the headphones it doesn't happen when connected only to my headphone dac/amp

Any help and all suggestions greatly appreciated

Ps, I posted in another thread but realised maybe it's own is better, so if I have broken any rule I apologise and please delete as appropriate.

Thank you,
Nick

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi

I just got a a-h500i that I'm planning to use with bookshelf speakers in the near future.

Today I tried the headphone out and got some surprises.
1. The volume goes from directly from nothing to relatively loud when using the cd input. Haven't tried the other inputs yet.
2. When I'm using the cd input I can still hear music, albeit low but clearly louder than a whisper on the other input options.
3. When I increase the volume, no input there is a background noice/hiss. It increases with increasing volume
4. Left headphone seems slightly louder than the left. It certainly comes on earlier. I know it's not the headphones it doesn't happen when connected only to my headphone dac/amp

Any help and all suggestions greatly appreciated

Ps, I posted in another thread but realised maybe it's own is better, so if I have broken any rule I apologise and please delete as appropriate.

Thank you,
Nick
How does it sound with speakers? It is quite likely that there is a mismatch with your headphones. That is a good older vintage unit. Older phones were a lot less sensitive than a lot of current ones.

My guess is that the unit will sound fine on speakers. If your phones sound fine from an iPhone, the phones are your problem.

N

niccav

Enthusiast
Thank you! This would only
explain the hiss, correct?

To answer your question, the headphones work fine with the iPhone. Although my headphones are probably as vintage as the teac. I'm using sennheiser hd 580, which were released in 1993. Im not sure exactly how old mine are but certainly 15 years.

I will try speakers tomorrow. Good suggestion.

Any idea as to the other questions?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thank you! This would only
explain the hiss, correct?

To answer your question, the headphones work fine with the iPhone. Although my headphones are probably as vintage as the teac. I'm using sennheiser hd 580, which were released in 1993. Im not sure exactly how old mine are but certainly 15 years.

I will try speakers tomorrow. Good suggestion.

Any idea as to the other questions?
They are also very sensitive phones as well as high impedance. They are excellent phones aimed at the studio market. The consumer gear of the time assumed low impedance phones generally, as most of them were then.

Those phones are likely not a good match for the TEAC. Also we don't know that the headphone amp is not just a cheap $0.5 chip amp. A lot were and still are. My friends Mac preamp has one of the worst headphone amps I have ever heard. On pressing MAC they admitted it.

Whereas all my gear that has a phone socket sound excellent.

N

niccav

Enthusiast
Thank you. I appreciate the help. Although I have read by several that teac has a good headphone there is no guarantee that it works with my hd580.

I will try with speakers tomorrow and see if the hiss is gone. Would it help to connect the ground connection at the back? Can I just connect it to ground on any socket?

/Nick

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thank you. I appreciate the help. Although I have read by several that teac has a good headphone there is no guarantee that it works with my hd580.

I will try with speakers tomorrow and see if the hiss is gone. Would it help to connect the ground connection at the back? Can I just connect it to ground on any socket?

/Nick
That ground is for connecting to a turntable. Hiss has nothing to do with a grounding issue.

N

niccav

Enthusiast
After finally getting time to do some testing:
In this test I used the following chain:
iPad-dac/amp-teac (aux)-Dali sensor 2

1. Low backround humming. Doesn't increase with louder volume
2. Even at max volume, it's not loud. I know it's subjective but I'd doesn't get loud by anyone's standard.
3. Not leaking sound into other inputs. If using "phono" it leaks into all other inputs. See first post.
4. Switching to "phono" give rise to a loud hissing sound that increases with volume. This is the case even when using "aux", i.e. not the same as in the first post when I actually used the phono input.

Something most be wrong I guess. Any ideas as to what could be the case and what solution there is?

Thank you very much

M

Millmoo

Audiophyte
Hi ,
Ok if I ask a quick question...
Just ordered a Teac AV-H500D and wondering if it will be ok to drive a pair of warfdale 9.1 speakers. They are rated at 6 ohm....
The AVH500D specs are....
Included Specifications AMPLIFIER SECTION Power Output: 80W + 80W RMS (8 Ohms) Stereo Mode 50W RMS x 5 (4 Ohms) Surround Mode Total Harmonic Distortion: <0.05% (1kHz, 8 Ohms) Signal-to-Noise (IFH-A): 90dB Input Sensitivity/ Impedance: 200mV/47k Frequency Response: 40Hz-80kHz +1/-3dB Tone Control: Bass: +/- 10dB (100Hz) Treble:
(Copied from a website!!)
I am a complete novice so as simple as possible would be great....even a yes or no would be Ok!!
Ta..

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis