Help with Sub Location

A

aanderson

Audiophyte
This is my first time purchasing a sub woofer, and have narrowed it down to either SVS or a Rythmic. My problem is the location I want to place it in. I have a fairly large room, 20’x23’x12’ high. There are many opening into this room, as this is an open house plan. I really don’t have any good floor locations that are acceptable to my wife. There is a long open on top of the wall where my stereo/tv is located. This opening, ‘alcove?’ is 36” deep by 36” high by 8’ long. It is located approx 8 foot high. There is plenty of support for the sub, I am just not sure it will sound right sitting that high. Has anyone ever tried this before? I have an Onkyo TX-NR5008 and Polk LSi system. I would appreciate any help.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Inside a semi-enclosed area is never a good idea. You will more likely want a sealed sub and have it facing outward from the alcove. As for the height, it may or may not be a problem, and unfortunately the only way to find out will be to try it.

X

xWARHOUNDx

Audiophyte
Yea, I'd put it in a corner and tell my wife to deal with it. Then again I have 2 SVS cylinders in 2 corners and even though they are 39 inches tall...she doesn't care.

bread29

bread29

Junior Audioholic
Being that this is your first time purchasing a subwoofer, you will likely become obsessed, as we all have here, and purchase multiple subs in the near future. The WAF was an issue for me in the beginning, but she got over it eventually and currently I have 3 rather large boxes in the living room. For a room of your size, it is going to be a must to buy multiple subwoofers to effectively pressurize the area. Look into SVS for the cylinder subs, they take up much less floor space.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
For a room of your size, it is going to be a must to buy multiple subwoofers to effectively pressurize the area. Look into SVS for the cylinder subs, they take up much less floor space.
No it isn't a must. I have one Epik Empire in an area larger than that and it has no problem filling the room. There are plenty of other subs that can handle a room that size without issue as well, including a single SVS Plus.

bread29

bread29

Junior Audioholic
No it isn't a must. I have one Epik Empire in an area larger than that and it has no problem filling the room. There are plenty of other subs that can handle a room that size without issue as well, including a single SVS Plus.
I should have clarified that it was an opinion...I personally wouldn't want one sub in that room that large with large openings into other areas of the home :D.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis