Help with speakers for my final 2 channel bedroom setup

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I know what I would do there. I would design a nice couple of slim MTM transmission line tower. They would be perfect there.
I know but I don't have your build skills or the tools or the room to work in and plus my job just leaves me too tired :confused:

So I have to go commercial after I retire I want to learn how to build my own speakers and subs as a hobby tho but for now it is what it is

With your knowledge do you have any good ways to approach this from a commercial perspective? If you were in my shoes had your knowledge of speakers and subs and had to go commercial what would @TLS Guy buy? :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
In this case, vertical dispersion will be important. You need to consider your typical listening height and how the loudspeaker accommodates that. The Polk R700 is good because it maintains a great response over a fairly wide vertical axis. A lot of larger tower speakers don't do that, so they are best listened to in a large room where their narrow angle of good vertical response isn't a problem. What is the height that you are normally listening at and does it change a lot?
Okay shady so where I lay on the bed centered between the speakers and TV my head will be 3feet 10 inches to 4 feet the same height my head would be in in a office chair

With the speakers pulled out from the wall I will be 10 feet away from the speakers

The speakers will be spaced apart to where I can see them laying back they will not be blocked off by the bed

Any towers you can think of that might be good in those parameters?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
A friend also had a great suggestion of using subs for stands for monitors or stands for monitors that raise the monitors above the bed level with my head

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
In this case, vertical dispersion will be important. You need to consider your typical listening height and how the loudspeaker accommodates that. The Polk R700 is good because it maintains a great response over a fairly wide vertical axis. A lot of larger tower speakers don't do that, so they are best listened to in a large room where their narrow angle of good vertical response isn't a problem. What is the height that you are normally listening at and does it change a lot?
Shady what do you think of 2 HSU ccb-8 speakers on stands paired with subs or on subs using the subs as stands? Or the Arendal monitors on stands then paired with subs?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Okay shady so where I lay on the bed centered between the speakers and TV my head will be 3feet 10 inches to 4 feet the same height my head would be in in a office chair

With the speakers pulled out from the wall I will be 10 feet away from the speakers

The speakers will be spaced apart to where I can see them laying back they will not be blocked off by the bed

The Polk R700 actually has good lower vertical dispersion despite the relatively high mounting of the tweeter. So does the HECO Aurora 1000. The Arendal 1723 Tower might be OK with a 35" high tweeter, but it will see more reflections off the bed frame. The new SVS towers probably have tweeters mounted a bit lower than ideal for you.
Shady what do you think of 2 HSU ccb-8 speakers on stands paired with subs or on subs using the subs as stands? Or the Arendal monitors on stands then paired with subs?
I think either would be good, but you will have a tricky time finding subs that are the right height. Most subs will sit too low, and many that have sufficient height will have a gigantic footprint. One exception might be the new Hsu VTF-TN1; that is a tall sub without a huge footprint. The VTF-3 MK5 also has some height but doesn't have a huge footprint for a ported 15". The CCB-8 will have a slightly lower tweeter than typical bookshelf speakers, but the VTF-TN1 might give it adequate height for you. I am thinking the VTF-3 will have the CCB-8 be a bit low for your use, but it's probably fine for the 1723 Monitor. Arendal's 1723 2V or 1V would be good for this, if only they weren't so expensive.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The Polk R700 actually has good lower vertical dispersion despite the relatively high mounting of the tweeter. So does the HECO Aurora 1000. The Arendal 1723 Tower might be OK with a 35" high tweeter, but it will see more reflections off the bed frame. The new SVS towers probably have tweeters mounted a bit lower than ideal for you.

I think either would be good, but you will have a tricky time finding subs that are the right height. Most subs will sit too low, and many that have sufficient height will have a gigantic footprint. One exception might be the new Hsu VTF-TN1; that is a tall sub without a huge footprint. The VTF-3 MK5 also has some height but doesn't have a huge footprint for a ported 15". The CCB-8 will have a slightly lower tweeter than typical bookshelf speakers, but the VTF-TN1 might give it adequate height for you. I am thinking the VTF-3 will have the CCB-8 be a bit low for your use, but it's probably fine for the 1723 Monitor. Arendal's 1723 2V or 1V would be good for this, if only they weren't so expensive.
I will probably go with stands that way subs can be placed more optimal in the room

I'm also open to placing towers on stands or monitors what do you think about some tall speaker stands with a good pair of monitors or lower speaker stands with towers to elevate them up over the bed a bit with subs then placed optimal in the room?

Heck I could save some coin and put some smaller towers on a pair of subs for that matter :)

Heck even subs on stands the monitors on top :)

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
:D

Edit

If you don't I might, just saw these

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Edit

Both great ideas but I'm still researching so if you want them go for it! :)

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Both great ideas but I'm still researching so if you want them go for it! :)
Just got the Veracity STs and paid more than the H2 TL asking price, though the finish is more less expensive. Wanna buy my ST's, they're a smaller foot print hint, hint, hint? Richard (@Swerd ) commented that the STs are about 90% of the H2TL, I'm guessing that 10% is SPL/Dynamics and both are transmit line cabinets FWIW. None of these need a subwoofer for anything but the lowest pipe organ note.

Good luck, always is fun getting new toys. I saw some has a pair of Salk built Philharmonic 3's for sale but that's a hefty footprint for most bedrooms.

Last edited:
D

dolynick

Audioholic
A friend also had a great suggestion of using subs for stands for monitors or stands for monitors that raise the monitors above the bed level with my head
I'm only using bookshelves and a small sub in my bedroom/office system (14x10 for comparison, but the sound is plenty great to my ears) and when I upgraded to my new pair of bookshelves, I decided to try raising them up too. In my case I have a row of monitors and an equipment stand that all sit right around ear level at their high points along the back wall and did obstruct line of sight to the tweeters.

I went from 30" to 36" and then picked up a set of small 6" angled desktop stands which I then lashed to the top of the 36" stands to raise them up a little more yet. I used the stands backwards so that the bookshelf is now above the sitting level (and the tweeters clear the obstructions) and angled downwards ~10 degrees so they're still more or less aimed at ear level (which also happens to work out at the desk or while laying on the bed).

You don't seem to be as obstructed as was, have a better placement situation, and it would certainly be harder to do with a tower speaker (the aiming back down bit at least), but I do think that raising them up in my room was a good idea. In your case, it would depend on the height of the tower you went with and if those bedposts are actually an obstruction. If you have line of sight while laying down, I'm not sure I would bother - or at most I might just shim the back feet of the towers a touch to give it a slight downward angle.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I know but I don't have your build skills or the tools or the room to work in and plus my job just leaves me too tired :confused:

So I have to go commercial after I retire I want to learn how to build my own speakers and subs as a hobby tho but for now it is what it is

With your knowledge do you have any good ways to approach this from a commercial perspective? If you were in my shoes had your knowledge of speakers and subs and had to go commercial what would @TLS Guy buy? :)
For that bedroom and in that situation, I would try to avoid having to use subs. You really don't want to spend a fortune either for a bedroom system.
So I think the Heco Aurora is very good value, and seems thoughtfully designed. That system is going to be used for speech a lot, I would guess. Since one driver is producing most of the speech discrimination band, I would expect those speakers to have very superior speech quality.
I think in that bedroom, they will do fine without a sub.

I am amazed how many speakers don't actually have very natural speech. A speaker that does not has problems.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I will probably go with stands that way subs can be placed more optimal in the room

I'm also open to placing towers on stands or monitors what do you think about some tall speaker stands with a good pair of monitors or lower speaker stands with towers to elevate them up over the bed a bit with subs then placed optimal in the room?

Heck I could save some coin and put some smaller towers on a pair of subs for that matter :)

Heck even subs on stands the monitors on top :)
A pair of JBL HDI-1600s would have plenty of dynamic range, and pair that with a pair of Arendal 1961 subs would keep you at about $4k. You might try a pair of Philharmonic BMR Philharmonitors too, they won't get quite as loud but I can not imagine that they wouldn't be enough for a bedroom.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
We prioritize looks for the bedroom and frankly these Polks I got for a SMOKING hot deal at Fry's before they closed sound good in there and also look good. The vaneer is either real wood or it sure looks like it. They look well above their price range.

Not advocating these but just sharing that my bedroom setup was prioritized differently but performance wise it has been great actually. I do have the center built into the TV Stand nicely.

I also have SVS-PB1000s that I am able to hide in the room. Those turned up 3/4 on the dial actually deliver very nicely and are small enough hidden behind the TV stand in a corner and behind a chair in the other side of the room, I am not giving up anything.

Also, frankly if I didn't have subs, we'd survive for what we watch in there which is largely direct TV

I know a guy on AVS was using PSAs with PSA subs for stands in his bedroom. I think he realized he didn't need that performance for his bedroom (probably wasn't cranking it high enough to realize the upsides) and it didn't look good. He sold those and moved on to something that looks much better. I'd be curious if he is happy with how it sounds but I haven't checked back in with him just yet.

1715634964716.png

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes it was the standard stand included it works surprisingly well Lovin

The legs are attached and screwed in then the rest of the stand snaps into place over them. When it's all put together it's surprisingly sturdy
My issue was what I set my tv on was narrower than the stand's feet (four splayed leg type stand). Good luck with your speakers!

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja

Edit

$2500 for the Veracity is a steal. Swerd has the Veracity ST and they are one of the best speakers that I have ever listened to. If you want a TL speaker, a used set of Salks would be great.

K

kini

Full Audioholic

If you're at all concerned about the vertical response then you need to look at the Kef R Meta series or possibly the AJ Mofi stand mounts.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
I haven't heard these, but I have heard great things about them.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I haven't heard these, but I have heard great things about them.

I would avoid them. The bass woofers have the same problem as the renowned KEF B139 drivers which I have used and still do, for years.

The KEF B139 also has a violent cone breakup mode at 900 Hz, just like this woofer obviously does.

What that means is that the driver has to be at least 24 db down below that catastrophic break up resonance. In practice that means a fourth order crossover no higher than 400 Hz. That requires a high part count of expensive components in the crossover. It also means you have to have a midrange unit that really can perform at power down to 400 Hz. The best solution is active crossovers in this solution.

My rear backs use two Kef B139s with an active crossover at 180 Hz. It is a four way with crossover at 180 Hz, 900 Hz and 5 KHz. There is no hint of the 900 Hz break up mode.

My family room speakers use one B139 in each speaker. The crossovers are fourth order at 400 Hz and 4 KHz. However there are three large crossover boards in each speaker, and the cost of the components was more than a lot would spend on a pair of speakers. Again there is no hint of the breakup mode. So the KEFs are all down over 24 db by the onset of the violent breakup mode.

On those speakers are are going to hear that breakup mode, and it will get more and more annoying the more you listen to them.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I just like throwing these out here :p

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I just like throwing these out here :p

You didn't include the Phil-3 that are available in MD. ;) Cabinets by Salk. Too deep for a bedroom though.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis