Help with speakers for my final 2 channel bedroom setup

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I had a projector in my bedroom but with the movie room built and TVs getting very affordable in sizes 85 and above I decided to go with a TV in my bedroom a mid tier 85 inch Samsung

Happy with the TV but deciding what I want to do for sound

The room has a unique build with the studs only going up the center of the wall partway. So wall mounting it was not an option

I was happy with the solution I came up with which was to place it on top of my dresser

20240512_180201.jpg20240512_180233.jpg

But now for speakers. Of course a center channel is out of the option but I've had 2 channel and 2.1 in that room with great results

I like dynamics and do get loud sometimes

I'd prefer to start 2.0 without a sub for now and buy a sub later so towers will be preferred but won't mind monitors if they are dynamic enough. Bookshelves won't keep up for me in my experience

my price point will be at its max up to 3 to 4k as this will be my end game set of speakers for this room

Could use some help with options

I'm leaning towards Arendal but I hear their towers can be tricky to cross over to subs

So my list so far is
Arendal: the 1723S towers or monitors or the THX towers or monitors
JBL: the HDI just went off sale I could rebuy 698 but I've been down the JBL road want to go with something different
The new SVS line: the Titan 6.5 model or the older prime pinnacle? Or just find a used pair of the old SVS ultra towers a pairs listed on marketplace in my area for $1300
Emotiva: Airmotiv XT3 Floorstanding Tower Loudspeakers (Pair)
RBH: Impression series 85IR (pair)
Martin Logan: MartinLogan Motion Foundation F2 (pair)

Any additional ideas you have would be great

The room is 16 long x 14 wide speakers set out in room properly listening distance will be about 10 feet to where my head is at

Any advice on good tower or monitor options for 2.0 that could eventually expand to 2.1 would be greatly greatly appreciated

Thank you for your help :)

Last edited:
M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I had a projector in my bedroom but with the movie room built and TVs getting very affordable in sizes 85 and above I decided to go with a TV in my bedroom a mid tier 85 inch Samsung

The room has a unique build with the studs only going up the center of the wall partway. So wall mounting it was not an option

I was happy with the solution I came up with which was to place it on top of my dresser

View attachment 67518View attachment 67519

But now for speakers. Of course a center channel is out of the option but I've had 2 channel and 2.1 in that room with great results

I'd prefer to start 2.0 without a sub for now and buy a sub later so towers will be preferred but won't mind monitors if they are dynamic enough. Bookshelves won't keep up for me in my experience

my price point will be at its max up to 3 to 4k as this will be my end game set of speakers for this room

I'm leaning towards Arendal but I hear their towers can be tricky to cross over to subs

So my list so far is
JBL: the HDI just went off sale I could rebuy 698 but I've been down the JBL road want to go with something different
The new SVS line: the Titan 6.5 model or the older prime pinnacle? Or just find a used pair of the old SVS ultra towers a pairs listed on marketplace in my area for $1300

The room is 16 long x 14 wide speakers set out in room properly listening distance will be about 10 feet to where my head is at

Any advice on good tower or monitor options for 2.0 that could eventually expand to 2.1 would be greatly greatly appreciated

Bookshelf smaller than 6.5" tend to underwhelm me as well. Bookshelf types of 8" or greater do fine by me, otherwise, but aren't really actually suitable for a shelf. The lumping everything less than a tower as "bookshelf" tends to muddy things a bit. For louder listening, stand mounts are feasible as long as they are powerful enough.

Perhaps look at the Mofi 8 or 10" speakers as well.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Dan, can't advise you better on speakers so I'll be watching what other's recommend. I can tell you for your TV, you might consider the heaviest duty of the studless TV mounts, I was easily able to use one with a 100lb limit for my 83 OLED and then it allows room for a center underneath if you ever decide to go that route.

This one doesn't seem available at the moment but it's what I am using.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Meant to ask, that's just the standard tv stand included with the set? I couldn't wall mount my main set so did a stand/mount combo (but not using the set's provided stand)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

View attachment 67518View attachment 67519

So my list so far is

Meant to ask, that's just the standard tv stand included with the set? I couldn't wall mount my main set so did a stand/mount combo (but not using the set's provided stand)
Yes it was the standard stand included it works surprisingly well Lovin

The legs are attached and screwed in then the rest of the stand snaps into place over them. When it's all put together it's surprisingly sturdy

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Dan, can't advise you better on speakers so I'll be watching what other's recommend. I can tell you for your TV, you might consider the heaviest duty of the studless TV mounts, I was easily able to use one with a 100lb limit for my 83 OLED and then it allows room for a center underneath if you ever decide to go that route.

This one doesn't seem available at the moment but it's what I am using.
I'll check out that stand even if not in stock it's good information do you happen to have a link?

You know I forgot to mention a couple pairs of your speakers you own might be good for that list the Monolith THX towers you own and the Klipsch RF7's maybe not the Klipsch they need some distance to be at their best

Some PSA speakers tho but PSA speakers all need a good sub right off the jump hmmmmm decisions decisions

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The polk R700 speakers that @shadyJ reviewed look like they are a good candidate as well

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Heck Accessories4less has a pair of the LS600 for $2000 might be another good option

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
In this case, vertical dispersion will be important. You need to consider your typical listening height and how the loudspeaker accommodates that. The Polk R700 is good because it maintains a great response over a fairly wide vertical axis. A lot of larger tower speakers don't do that, so they are best listened to in a large room where their narrow angle of good vertical response isn't a problem. What is the height that you are normally listening at and does it change a lot?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
In this case, vertical dispersion will be important. You need to consider your typical listening height and how the loudspeaker accommodates that. The Polk R700 is good because it maintains a great response over a fairly wide vertical axis. A lot of larger tower speakers don't do that, so they are best listened to in a large room where their narrow angle of good vertical response isn't a problem. What is the height that you are normally listening at and does it change a lot?
Thanks Shady the setup will be in the bedroom so I'm on the bed laying back on the pillows so no the height doesn't change at all

I'll have to get back to you on the height I'll measure exactly how high my head will be laying back the distance will be 10 feet I can give you the height tommorow

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
The Polk R700 sound great but the high end sounded better with the Arendals IMO. They both have excellent mids and bass as towers. I think Polk still has a buy and try and return for free in the US similar to Arendal.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
I'll check out that stand even if not in stock it's good information do you happen to have a link?

You know I forgot to mention a couple pairs of your speakers you own might be good for that list the Monolith THX towers you own and the Klipsch RF7's maybe not the Klipsch they need some distance to be at their best

Some PSA speakers tho but PSA speakers all need a good sub right off the jump hmmmmm decisions decisions
My apologies. I had thought I posted in a link. Let's see if it sticks this time.

Amazon.com: ECHOGEAR No Drill TV Mount for Drywall - Slim No Stud Design Holds TVs Up to 100lbs with Nails - Easy Install with No Drilling Required : Electronics

On the Monolith towers, I do like those but they are also designed THX style and would need a sub I believe. I have enjoyed those towers. I think the RF7's are great too but might be a little big for a bedroom depending on what you are looking for. Although if you are running 2.0 then perhaps they are fine since there wouldn't be anything else.

So for a bedroom I'm not sure what's the best

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I remember TLS Guy had issues with the way Arendal crossed the woofers (hence the sub integration challenge) but they still review great. Going to the Monitor THX would get around that issue, and while it is a large "bookshelf" you can get the tweeter height more precise with stands. From Shady's review, they should still provide the dynamics you seek.

Was also going to mention the BMR HT Towers. I like the BMR Monitor so the HT Tower would be high on my list but there is likely a waiting list (currently marked as sold out). Would also have mentioned Ascend and the Polks, so not much help. :D Ever demo'd the Paradigm Founder series? 80F or 100F?

K

kini

Full Audioholic

Maybe give the new SVS towers a shot. Risk free :)

D

dolynick

Audioholic
Robinson recently did a review of the SVS Titans and loved them, but made a point about having to pull them out into the room a bit. This is subjective preference based on "boomy" sound but with rear-firing elements in the speaker, it tracks. Your preferences may differ of course, but something to keep in mind.

I personally think a large tower may overwhelm the room but I've done it myself in smaller rooms as well.

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Great ideas and advice guys keep it up and thank you!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis