Help with Speaker Selection

D

davenport333

Audiophyte
I have a family room that is completely open on one wall opposite the Entertainment center. I am buying a Denon 2106 as the AVR. I have read that the Definitive ProCinema 100 is a great system and would fit well with this room. It is about 2700 cubic feet. I need ceiling mounted speakers for the rear in a 5.1 config. Any opinions on the the Definitive?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I never liked the ProCinemas. They are OK, but not great. I recently installed a set of these guys (on wall, near the ceiling) for music listening for a customer. The included install brackets are relatively decent, but they aren't so easy or intuitive to install; once installed they look very nice though. They are fine for background music listening and would do adequately for surrounds, but they lack good lower midrange to be a very effective speaker, IMO. Crossed over high, they will probably be OK, but you then run the risk of a little bit of sub localization. This will be the case with any smaller satellite speaker though.

E

enrique

Full Audioholic
I had the procinema 100's w/c2 center(recomended) and 200tl sub powered w/marantz sr7000 for over 4yrs.I had them in a 22.5 x 19.5 room.They were great IMHO.But thats me.The thing with the procinemas is you need to connect them per def.tech. recomendations which some people will not agree with.I spoke to "chet" when i had mine and he told me how to connect them.Basiclly you connect them with speaker level from the sub and lfe simultaneously and set the mains to large.I know most will disagree but i had mine originally connected traditionally then the way def.tech said and they sounded great for music as well as HT.

D

davenport333

Audiophyte
Sound test tough

Thanks - that is helpful. It is tough to select as the ones I am looking at do not come from the same stores. So to sound test is tough.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis