Help with Speaker selection, 4k budget.

T

teedoff00

Audiophyte
Hi Guys,

I am pretty new to home stereo and home theater setup but come from a strong car stereo back ground.

I just bought a house that has a room that will be my home theater. The room is smallish (13.5 x 14.5) see attached rough drawing. Acoustically, I think this room may be challanging...

I'd like advice of how you'd set it up, which system you'd by and why. I have a budget of about 4k for speakers and avr.

I've research a lot of brands over the last few days and am leaning towards getting the SVS prime towers, center and satellitesurrounds in a 5.2 with dual pb-1000s. I thought about the pb-2000s but I think it would be too much for the space and I think duals are the way to go. I have a friend that really thinks I ought to skip the more expensive satellites and go with something like the Tekton Pendragons or "spend more on the 2.2". This system will be used about 95% for movies/tv.

I was thinking the new Denon x3300w would be a nice fit for the SVS and would power them fine with their Sensitivity rating of 86dB. Or I could get a refurbished Denon x6200w or the 4520cl.

I have a 2015 70" Vizio m-series that will be going with it. So looking at the picture (the second measurements are anticipated listening distances depending on where tv is placed), where would you place the TV and 2.2s? And any other systems that would be a better fit for the money? Are the primes overkill for such a small space?

Thanks for the advice! Much appreciated.

Attachments

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would go for bookshelf speakers in that room. Tower speakers would be wasted in there. I would go for sealed subs in that room also. For SVS, I would think about the Prime bookshelf speakers and a pair of SB2000s. I would also be looking at setups from EMP Tek, Hsu Research, and Ascend Acoustics/Rythmik Audio.

Also, no way would I go for the Tekton Pendragons over a pair of decent bookshelf speakers and sealed subwoofers.

T

teedoff00

Audiophyte
Thanks for the reply shady. So with the bookshelves, would it be worth spending the xtra money to get the SVS Ultra bookshelves or something similar? I mean, I would love to save the cash between Prime towers and bookshelves, but if I didn't get towers. SVS Ultras (or similar) would fit in the budget.

As to the subwoofers. Why would you go up to the 2000 series? Would dual 2000's overpower that room? I guess they would be slightly more subdued in a sealed version and the space savings would be nice.

Also would you favor putting the tv on the long wall or short wall. I am thinking of using the lower (bottom of drawing) alcove to house the electonics etc and I would set/mount the TV just out side of where the alcove starts. That would make the setup as rectangular as possible, although very unideal.

Thanks again for the response.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The Ultra speakers might gain you a finer sound. Between the Ultra bookshelf speakers and the Prime towers, I would go for the Ultras every single time. Either will get louder than you will likely ever need. With respect to the subwoofers, the only way subs overpower your room is if you have them turned up too loud. Your room is small so I think you would benefit from the room gain of a sealed design. Ported subs like the PB2000 or PB1000 may give you more more low end than you need in that room and you would have to EQ the low end down. Your room is more suited for a sealed sub. Another sub I would look at which is not much more expensive than the SB2000 but will offer a lot more performance is the Hsu ULS-15 mk2.

As far as TV placement goes, one thing you might want to do is try different speaker and subwoofer placements first to see what orientation sounds better, and then place the TV accordingly.

T

teedoff00

Audiophyte
Thanks for all the input Shady, mucheck appreciated!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis