Help With Speaker Positioning

M

mcfearless

Audiophyte
Don't think I have the ability to post attachments so hopefully someone can help out with that. But I just re-did my basement and want to make sure I setup my 5.1 system the best i can. We have an interesting dilemma because of a new electric closet that had to be put in. Basically the speakers in the black box are already hooked up. I just dont know what to do with the front L/R speakers. If i go with the red setup will the people on the left side of the couch hear everything fine? If i go with the green setup is it fine that the L/R speakers are in front of the center?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I want to hook things up right. I did post it somewhere else maybe you can get the pic there - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=19432023#post19432023

Thanks!

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Note that people will not be able to see the pics unless they are registered at AVS Forum.

Ideally you want the front three speakers on the same plane. If the center is slightly above or behind the fronts that can be compensated for when you calibrate the system or if you use a matrix decoder like PLII Music that allows you to move the center soundfield forward or backward.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Don't think I have the ability to post attachments so hopefully someone can help out with that. But I just re-did my basement and want to make sure I setup my 5.1 system the best i can. We have an interesting dilemma because of a new electric closet that had to be put in. Basically the speakers in the black box are already hooked up. I just dont know what to do with the front L/R speakers. If i go with the red setup will the people on the left side of the couch hear everything fine? If i go with the green setup is it fine that the L/R speakers are in front of the center?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I want to hook things up right. I did post it somewhere else maybe you can get the pic there - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=19432023#post19432023

Thanks!
You have a compromised setup, but you know that already. This said, people at the extremes will "hear fine" hopefully, but maybe not. At such a wide angle, particularly with a horizontal mtm, the lobing could be pretty bad. If you can instead maybe find a WTMW or a coincidental/coaxial type of center speaker, hopefully dialogue intelligibility will be significantly improved for those who are so off axis.

My guess is that the green area sounds better simply due to space from front boundary, and front corner for that matter. SBIR. However, the closer distance might create more of a "hole", and the extent will depend on toe-in as well relative to LP. If the center speaker is always being used, this hole doesn't matter nearly as much.

Really, it would take you less than an hour to put both positions thru their paces; why don't you* tell us which sounds better?

As a side note, I'd probably calibrate for front and center directly opposite the system. At least it can sound good somewhere. Equal distances from the speakers should only help out.

B

bpape

Audioholic Chief
The more front position will allow a wider dispersion for more seating as long as you can time align the center channel to compensate for it being back farther. Should be able to do this in your processor.

Bryan

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis