S

Sabboth

Audiophyte
I'm pretty new at this as I've finally gotten a pair of speakers to hook up to a receiver which I bought off a friend a few years ago.

I have a pair of Kef q100s hooked up to an older Harman Karvon AVR-147. I also have a DVR hooked into the receiver via HDMI and have the receiver going through HDMI to a newer Sony Bravia. I get no sound through the speakers, but get video through the tv and get sound through the tv speakers. Am I doing something wrong???? I've tried searching the forums, but this is all too confusing. Any help would be appreciated!!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
First thing I would do if I were you is read the manual for the receiver. If the speakers are hooked up correctly and the correct source is chosen you should hear sound. That's assuming you have the volume turned up high enough.

EDIT: If the receiver is old enough it may only pass video through. When receivers with HDMI first came out, some of them did not have the ability to use the audio portion of HDMI. Also, some of them could only process PCM. It really depends on the manufacturer.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
You are correct panteragsk. The AVR-147 is pass-through only so no audio via HDMI.

OP you will have to connect a TOSLINK or COAX digital cable to get sound from your sources through the AVR.

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis