Help with receiver choice

T

tomb020871

Audiophyte
Hello all! I need your help choosing a new receiver for my home theater. It is a dedicated theater. My budget is up to $2000. I will be using Paradigm Millenia 20's for the L/R/C channels, Paradigm Millenia ADP's for the sides, Paradigm Millenia One's for the rears, and a Paradigm Monitor sub 12. I have been considering the Anthem MXR 700 or 500 because they are teamed up with Paradigm and they do sound good together, but they don't seem to have too many options compared to some others in that price range. But, that is all I have listened to so far. I have also been considering NAD and the Yamaha Aventage series. I guess the only thing I want for sure is networking so that it can take the movies I have on my computer and play them on the projector. Oh, 3D capable too. If there are any other things I should consider please let me know. I have been reading so much over the past couple of months that I have totally confused myself.
Thank you in advance for all of your help. I appreciate your time.:)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Anthem isn't teamed up with Paradigm, Paradigm IS Anthem.

How big is your room?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I like my Anthem amp but for AVR I prefer the Dennon, Yamaha, and Marantz models. What features are important to you? In terms of sound quality, the MRX700, Marantz 7005 or 7007, Denon 3312 or 3313, and the Yamaha's in the same price range are all going to sound similarly good. The Denon AVR-4311 would be the most powerful one and feature rich and price should be good now as the 4520 is out.

A

avengineer

Banned
The Denon AVR-4311 would be the most powerful one and feature rich and price should be good now as the 4520 is out.
3313 is 125/channel, 4311 is 140/channel. Considering only the LCR speakers, that's a difference of less than 1dB max peak SPL. Don't buy the 4311 just for the power.

Since the 3312 is discontinued, you need to verify that the seller is a Denon authorized dealer. They probably aren't, which is why the low prices. Happens a lot on Amazon, especially with blow-out product. Same thing for the 4311. If you buy something from an unauthorized seller (any brand) the manufacturer won't honor the warranty. Your on your own for support and repairs. They could be "new" or in "sealed boxes", it doesn't matter, manufacturers keep track of the serial numbers and know who they sold that unit to. If you take or send it in with an issue, they'll know if it has a real warranty or not...and then, so will you. It's actually one of the reasons you see such "great deals" on Amazon. There are some legit dealers too.

If the deal seems too good to be true, dig in and find out why.

T

tomb020871

Audiophyte
I think I narrowed it down to four. The Yamaha RX-A2020, the Integra DTR-40.4, the Marantz Sr7007, and the Denon AVR3313CI. I know the Denon and Marantz are the same company, and offer almost the same guts. Is there a reason to choose one over the other? And, out of those two, what would be good reasons to choose the Yamaha, Integra, or the other?
The other question is, am I choosing a receiver that is overkill for what I really need? I want to be able to use Apple's AirPlay, but it's not a deal breaker, and to watch movies off of my hard drive and apple tv. I will be using it for 85% movies and 15% music in zone one. The other zone would probably be the opposite.
Besides the speakers above I wil be using either an Oppo bdp-103 or 105 and a Panasonic PT-AE8000U.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I think I narrowed it down to four. The Yamaha RX-A2020, the Integra DTR-40.4, the Marantz Sr7007, and the Denon AVR3313CI. I know the Denon and Marantz are the same company, and offer almost the same guts. Is there a reason to choose one over the other? And, out of those two, what would be good reasons to choose the Yamaha, Integra, or the other?
The other question is, am I choosing a receiver that is overkill for what I really need? I want to be able to use Apple's AirPlay, but it's not a deal breaker, and to watch movies off of my hard drive and apple tv. I will be using it for 85% movies and 15% music in zone one. The other zone would probably be the opposite.
Besides the speakers above I wil be using either an Oppo bdp-103 or 105 and a Panasonic PT-AE8000U.
Anyone of those will still be good if and when you upgrade your speakers to something like the Studio or Signature series. The BDP-105 would definitely seem like over kill for those speakers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis