Help with new system

D

DrLuck

Audiophyte
I'm a rookie when it comes to HT... I'm looking to get a simple upgrade on my sound. I have a 42" Vizio and a DVD player. My room is 24x14. I mainly just watch sports and regular tv no movies. I would like to keep a 500 dollar budget for a receiver/speakers... Ebay has many speakers like Infinity/Klipsch/Yamaha/etc...Any help would be much appreciated.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hey, DrLuck, welcome to the forum!

I'd recommend starting off with a budget surround sound receiver. While you may not want rear speakers at the moment, you might in the future. Even with just TV sports, there's more and more broadcasts done in 5.1 surround.

The receiver that I tend to recommend in your price range is the Onkyo TX-SR506. Onkyo's 500 series of receivers has gotten mostly good reviews for the past few years. Amazon.com currently has it for $204, but they've had it as low as $180 that I've seen. It has some really nice features for that price range.

In terms of speakers, do you have any brand preferences? Have you had a chance to go out and listen to some for yourself? There are the major brands that are likely carried in one or more chain stores around where you live, and there are some good internet-direct brands. I think that you'll probably start off with just left and right front speakers with your budget, but we might be able to get a center channel in there. The center channel should give a nice improvement on dialogue.

Frys.com often has good deals on Polk speakers, and there are also some good deals out there on Infinity and other brands. I haven't bought any off of eBay, but some others here might have. I'll wait to give speaker recommendations because I suspect that others with give you links to some deals.

Adam

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hmmm, if you want a simple upgrade like you said, you might want to consider this Panasonic system that is $120 at Sears (if they have any near you). If you don't like it, you should be able to just take it back...but be sure to ask them if you do want to buy it.

A

alexwakelin

Full Audioholic
I just put together my first HT system, if you do your homework and bargain shop you can put together something pretty nice. My budget was a bit lower than yours at $400, but I extremely happy with the results. Here's the thread that describes my system.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46957

I purchased the Sony STR-DG510 receiver mainly because of this review, but also because I found a smokin' deal on ebay...$105 shipped, you can probably find a similar deal if you look around.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/receivers/sony-str-dg510

Your budget is a little higher so you could step up to this receiver:

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/receivers/yamaha-rx-v463

or spend a bit more on the speakers which might be the way to go. From reading posts of the more experienced members of this forum, I gather that the speakers are the most important part of the system. A budget receiver can still put out decent sound, but will have less features. A budget speaker can only compromise in one area, sound quality.

N

Neijii

Audioholic
I just ordered my first HT components and after talking to the guys on this site, and they were right..you're better off buying SLOW and start with 2 front speakers and a receiver and then add..the quality and satisfaction down the line will be so much more rewarding than having a decent sound system.

D

DrLuck

Audiophyte
I need to know some brands of speakers which would be best suited for my budget about 500? Figured I could find a good deal on ebay.

N

Neijii

Audioholic
Well are you looking for 5.1 or just receiver + 2 fronts?

N

Neijii

Audioholic
With your budget, get a receiver + 2 fronts...then you can add more to it later on and the quality won't even compare to a HTIB

S

surferaudio

Audioholic Intern
bump. I agree, you'll thank yourself down the road if you start out with a receiver + 2 speakers and then add piecemeal down the road on one condition: that you buy the same speakers from the same company and preferably the same line for purposes of timber matching/integrated sound.

I rather have 2 insanely good quality speakers to start with than mediocre 5.

J

John Bailey

Audioholic
Saturday Audio
Monitor Audio Bronze B1 - $199

Audiogon
Monitor Audio Bronze Center - $125

Ebay
Onkyo 500 series - $204

$528 will get you a very nice system.

Last edited:
newsletter