Help with new sub purchase and placement!

C

cubazuelen

Enthusiast
Hi everyone, so I am upgrading the speakers/sub in my theater and am going to move the current front theater setup, and possibly the sub, into my living room for 2.1 music.

The theater is 12x15 and is currently running a pb12-nsd, the older bash amp version, and it does well in this space, though it could be a bit tighter with music. My living room is a big space, 15x35x9 with 2 stair openings. I will be putting the sub in a front corner. I am planning on getting either the HSU-vth15 or the Rythmik fv15hp.

Will there by much of an audible difference between the hsu/ rythmik compared to the pb12nsd in the theater? I know movies should sound about the same, but will music be noticeably better? Would I be best moving the new more powerful sub into the living room? Is this room still too big for the rythmik/HSU? Is there enough of a difference between the HSU and the Rythmik to justify the increased price for the fv15hp?

If it matters I will be running 2 SVS sts02 towers in the living room and 3 Aperion Verus Grand bookshelfs for my L/C/R in the theater.

Thanks!

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I think there will be a good sized difference with the hsu... I have never heard the rythmic, but Im a fan of hsu:)

The svs should hold its own with music, I remeber reading somewhere that for a ported sub they werent too bad for music.. I prefer sealed for music...

Last edited:
theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
My living room is a big space, 15x35x9 with 2 stair openings. I will be putting the sub in a front corner. I am planning on getting either the HSU-vth15 or the Rythmik fv15hp.
4700+ cubic feet is one very large area. While both of those are real nice subs you may find a single one struggles filling that void. Corner loading will certainly help, but I doubt it will mitigate the issue entirely.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
My vote goes for Rythmik fv15hp - it's truly world class sub...
btw: Checkout F/S section - Matt34 has nice Corner sub for sale

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Will there by much of an audible difference between the hsu/ rythmik compared to the pb12nsd in the theater?...Is there enough of a difference between the HSU and the Rythmik to justify the increased price for the fv15hp?
Absolutely on both counts. The FV15HP's measured performance puts it solidly in contention with heavyweights like the SVS PB13U. It will improve upon a PB12-NSD's performance in every measurable aspect, as you would expect.

http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=51&mset=50

http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=51&mset=49

The VTF15H is a bit more clouded in controversy; when Paul measured it originally in its AH review, it averaged about 7dB less output from 20Hz-63Hz than the Rythmik (which is quite a lot). After some complaining, Paul remeasured the Hsu with little appreciable change in the results. Fast forward again and there was more complaints that Paul must have incorrectly measured the Hsu (but not the Rythmik, SVS, or Funk that were also tested by him :rolleyes:) and 3dB was retroactively added to the Hsu's max output numbers in the review (although the sub was never actually re-measured to determine whether this was appropriate). All said and done, the Rythmik still delivers a solid 4dB more output (doesn't sound like much on the face of it, but it's pretty significant), and has gone through Ricci's full battery of tests with flying colors.

C

cubazuelen

Enthusiast
Thanks for the responses everyone. My needs are slightly different now as i found a great deal on some used Maggie 1.6's and now have them set up in my large living room. So, I am now thinking of the PC13ultra or the FV15HP or any other recommendations, max price is the price of the PC13ultra. This is for 2 channel music only and I want to make sure the sub can keep up with the Maggies. I brought down my pb12nsd from the theater but was only able to play with it a bit. With the limited amount of listening I did with it I never got it sounding good, but I shall spend more time tonight tinkering. I am using a HK 3490 which has no sub EQ, so I will have to EQ/LPF on whichever sub I get. Thanks!

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Thanks for the responses everyone. My needs are slightly different now as i found a great deal on some used Maggie 1.6's and now have them set up in my large living room. So, I am now thinking of the PC13ultra or the FV15HP or any other recommendations, max price is the price of the PC13ultra. This is for 2 channel music only and I want to make sure the sub can keep up with the Maggies.
Trying to integrate a sub with Maggies -- especially if it's for music only -- I would go sealed. You might want to consider the Rythmik E15 or the SVS SB13-Ultra. You may have better luck blending either of those with your Maggies. I suspect trying to integrate those speakers with a ported sub would ultimate prove to be an exercise in futility.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
For a two channel system with a $2k budget, you might get a couple subs instead of one. Place each sub next to your left and right speaker and use the sub-out jacks on the 3490, they do send out the separate left and right channel information so it's true stereo sub-out channels. Two subs will do much more to lessen localization and also get a naturally flatter room response. You can also raise the crossover high without a localization penalty, which could be a big advantage with maggies. I think you would want a high pass filter to take the strain off the mains, something like this (although I have seen less expensive ones elsewhere) not a LPF. Some subs I would look at for a pair under $2k would be the Rythmik F12, Hsu VTF2 or VTF3, the Rumba 12, the SVS SB12, and the PSA XS15. You might leave some room in your budget for something like a Behringer DCX2496, if you want to try to tackle that beast + Room Equalization Wizard.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I'd toss my vote in for the SVS SB13-Ultra. The STA-1000D amplifier on it has a lot of features which will help it integrate well into a two channel system & room: adjustable high and low pass filters (frequencies AND slopes), delays for the high pass outputs, room gain compensation, etc. Bluntly, it's got a lot of configuration capabilities that most other subwoofers (such as the Rythmik F15/E15, SVS SB12) lack which can be quite critical for blending with your main speakers.

C

cubazuelen

Enthusiast
2 Subs is, unfortunately, not an option.

After a little more playing I got the PB12nsd to sound quite good! I also just went and looked at the data from the reviews of the PB12 and the Ultra and my mind is made up to purchase the Ultra.

With the 12 there were some bass lines where I could hear the crossover. The Ultras tuning capabilities and a 1/3 octave band sound level meter should eliminate any future worries. Also, it did not fill my whole, large, room (the highest I got with the volume knob was 3 oclock, the best listening level was around 11oclock) but in the main listening area it was more than adequate. Besides that it sounded great, and was able to keep up with the maggies. I look forward to comparing the 2!

At what volume level do most of you run your subs? Is it common to go beyond 50%?

C

cubazuelen

Enthusiast
So I actually ended up getting the Rythnmik f15HP. Does anyone run dual subs that are closely located? I am thinking about adding another but the only place for it would be a few feet away from the other. I have attached a pic. The SVS is set up to the right of the tv, where the rythmik will go, and i am thinking or another one to the left of the tv. I can only EQ on the sub as my receiver does not have eq capabilities. Thanks!

Attachments

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
After a little more playing I got the PB12nsd to sound quite good! I also just went and looked at the data from the reviews of the PB12 and the Ultra and my mind is made up to purchase the Ultra.
Hmm, I didn't know Rythmik made an Ultra F15HP. Is that a new model? :p

The F15HP looks like a very nice unit. Are you finding one isn't sufficient? It would seem as though you haven't had enough time to break it in yet, so it might not be a bad idea to wait a little and see how it does. Unless, of course, you just want duals. If that's the case then I'm certain Rythmik would love to assist you... ;)

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
I am not sure how successful you will be without being able to crossover your fronts to your sub with the HK Recieiver I have that receiver and prefered having a receiver that gave that functionality.... It may take some time to get right.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis