Help with my speaker placement, wiring etc?

FoleyQ

FoleyQ

Audiophyte
I need some professional opinions and advices on my speaker setup and placement.

As I'm not a audio-pro I think I'm not getting the best sound out of my speakers. I think my speaker placement is affecting my sound quality, so I need some help with getting them to optimum positions. Also if you could help that with what speakers I should use and where :)

I include some images of my "setup" but I'll give some information first:

Speakers:
Active;
Fostex PM0.5 MKII (I don't hear any bass at all from these, none. Still Fostex says that those can respond to 50HZ??)

Passive;
Yorkville YSM-1
Bowers & Wilkins V201 (currently not in use, they are old as f**k but sound excellent in my opinion)

Amp for passive:
Sony STR-D515 (I have no idea if it is good or bad)

Wires:
Neutrik XLR (For active speakers)
Some basic nameless wires for passive

For playing music (and video) I use iMac/iTunes with basic 3,5mm-plug output. (yeah I know its not the best possible source)

Yorkvilles currently as my projector speakers.

Fostex's as my normal computer speakers. (I must say that since some people tend to hate Apple, I respect your opinion, mac has its downsides, but I still prefer mac as I'm normal student, not hardcore gamer. So please no discussion about computers here, thanks :) )

One of the unused B&W speakers (old and big image sorry)

How can I get the best sound with this equipment?
Also if you have any improvement suggestions, please share them with me :)

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
I use a mac as a source in a nearfield set up as well. When I set mine up, I read what I could find online and experiment with my set up. Ideally you want them set up in an equilateral triangle: Near-Fields Handbook | Sweetwater.com You also want to decouple the speakers from the desk and angle them up a bit so that the tweeters are hitting at ear height: Near-Field Speaker Placement - How to Instantly Improve the Sound of Your Studio.

These are a bit expensive but they should help: Amazon.com: Auralex MOPAD Monitor Isolation Pads, Charcoal, one pair, for two speakers: Musical Instruments.

I bought a pair of these for my audioengine A-4s and they do the job: DS2 Desktop Stand (Pair)

Or you could go the DIY route and experiment. It's worth experimenting; placement matters even with a nearfield set up which is easier frankly than most other set ups (other than headphones, ;)).

FoleyQ

FoleyQ

Audiophyte
Thanks a lot! I have never heard about that equilateral triangle, and I think I'll check if I could get those isolation pads or something equivalent! ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis