Help with DIY SonoSub Driver Selection

N

Newfiestang50

Audioholic Intern
Guys before I get started here with my request for help with my DIY Sonosub, I would first like to say that I have read all the info that I can find on here but couldn't find anything specific to my application. This is my first DIY attempt so all help is appreciated. I plan on building a 15" Sub and I would first like your thoughts on the Driver selection, I am considering two at this point:

1. Soundsplinter RL-p 15
2. Ascendant Audio Havoc 15

Although these are the only two in my list I am open to sugestions on other units, I only ask that you keep in mind that I will probably be temperarly powering this unit with a spare NAD C272 in bridged mode thus the drivers coils will have to be hooked up to yeild 8ohms (ie: two 4ohm coils wired in series). While we are on the Amp topic, if you guys could suggest a more suitable amp I would greatly appriciate it also.

Next topic I guess is the actual tube construction, I am capable of building this enclosure but have not actually seen any info on how to connect the end caps in the tube, are they just glued in? if so what type of glue is best?

I have just started using WinISD Pro Alpha but cannot seem to get a very good curve from the RL-p 15, it steadly rolls of from 100Hz down. I keep hearing better numbers than this from other members who use this tool so any help here would be apreciated as well.

Guys I should also mention that I plan on using this Sub for 80% music and 20% movies in a room about 20' x 17'. I presently have a B&W ASW675 and it goes without saying that I am not satisified with this sub and I want to build something that would totally put the B&W to shame. Also, I did consider buying the Axiom EP-600 or HSU 3HO, will this DIY be comparable to either on of those units and if not what DIY Sub would?
Finally, do anyone know of a free program that I could download to draw sub enclosures, just to expermint with, something that has dimentions would be prefered. Thanks for the patience in reading such al long post.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
Newfiestang50 said:
Guys before I get started here with my request for help with my DIY Sonosub, I would first like to say that I have read all the info that I can find on here but couldn't find anything specific to my application. This is my first DIY attempt so all help is appreciated. I plan on building a 15" Sub and I would first like your thoughts on the Driver selection, I am considering two at this point:

1. Soundsplinter RL-p 15
2. Ascendant Audio Havoc 15

Although these are the only two in my list I am open to sugestions on other units, I only ask that you keep in mind that I will probably be temperarly powering this unit with a spare NAD C272 in bridged mode thus the drivers coils will have to be hooked up to yeild 8ohms (ie: two 4ohm coils wired in series). While we are on the Amp topic, if you guys could suggest a more suitable amp I would greatly appriciate it also.

Next topic I guess is the actual tube construction, I am capable of building this enclosure but have not actually seen any info on how to connect the end caps in the tube, are they just glued in? if so what type of glue is best?

I have just started using WinISD Pro Alpha but cannot seem to get a very good curve from the RL-p 15, it steadly rolls of from 100Hz down. I keep hearing better numbers than this from other members who use this tool so any help here would be apreciated as well.

Guys I should also mention that I plan on using this Sub for 80% music and 20% movies in a room about 20' x 17'. I presently have a B&W ASW675 and it goes without saying that I am not satisified with this sub and I want to build something that would totally put the B&W to shame. Also, I did consider buying the Axiom EP-600 or HSU 3HO, will this DIY be comparable to either on of those units and if not what DIY Sub would?
Finally, do anyone know of a free program that I could download to draw sub enclosures, just to expermint with, something that has dimentions would be prefered. Thanks for the patience in reading such al long post.
How large is your room? How much bass extention do you want? Do you want to be able to "tune" the sub, (maybey with a port plug)? What Diameter sonotube do you plan on using?

Do you have the TS parameters for the Ascendant?

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis