Help with different listening modes

T

Timallen1980

Audiophyte
I'm setting up my Polk audio RTI A7's, A1's, CSI A6, and a powered sub, and I had a few questions on the different listening modes. The receiver I'm using is a Marantz SR5008. When watching a movie or listening to music in 5.1 or in movie mode the sound is decent, but when switched to pure mode the A7's really come alive. I'm curious, what is the point of having a 5.1 system when it sounds better in 2.0? Is there a way to get the same sound out of my A7's while in 5.1 or a movie listening mode? It's as if the bass is completely turned off on the A7's when in 5.1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

My guess is that the crossover frequency set for your A7's is higher than you like, so when listening in 5.1 with your subwoofer, there actually isn't much bass being sent to them. What is the crossover set to for your A7's? You could probably go with something around 40Hz on those.

Also, what powered sub are you using? That may be a weak point, too.

T

Timallen1980

Audiophyte
Thanks Adam, I'm glad to have joined!
As far as my sub, it's a brand called "Epiphany" I bought it about 10 years ago from a friend that got it from the scammers that sell them out of a van in the parking lots, but regardless it does have great bass. I will be replacing it sometime in the near future with the polk audio PSW110 or 125 just not on the top of the wish list. Looking at my settings all speakers are set at 80hz. I was watching the movie "Rockstar" in 5.1 and wasn't that impressed with the sound until I switched to 2.0 and was blown away by how the towers sounded by themselves. I was just wondering why I lose so much life/bass from my towers when switched to 5.1 listening modes? I must be doing something wrong.

T

Timallen1980

Audiophyte
I have the towers set at 80hz. The sub is a cheap white van sub called Epiphany but has always had plenty of bass. Just don't see why I can't get the same sound out of my towers in movie mode as I do in direct or pure. Also should I move my sub in the front right corner instead of the rear left corner?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi, all. Tim was having some trouble responding using Tapatalk, so I'm posting this for him.

Timallen1980 said:
I originally on my AV had my crossover for my speakers set to All at 80hz, so I took your advise and set the fronts to 40hz. I noticed some difference but not the full sound I was hoping to get. I'm wondering if this is even possible but u can't understand why it wouldn't be. I really want to get the sound out of my towers under a 5.1 listening mode as I do in a direct mode. When I switch from direct(or a 2.1) to a 5.1 my towers lose the a ton of bass and my system sounds like it lacking up front. I do hVe my sub in the left rear of the room, which I have considered two things:
1.Move the sub to the right front of the room to get more bass up front
2. Get another sub for the front and go with a 5.2(I think that's possible)
But my towers up front have the capability of giving me plenty of bass, it's just that I lose it in 5.1.
I understand in direct it bypasses much of the AV processing. Is it that I'm also losing amps when going from 2.1 to 5.1?
To answer the question on my sub it's a white van speaker called "Epiphany"(I wasn't the one scammed, bought it from a friend) but it does seem to have plenty of bass. I had a cheaper Onkyo at one time and it didn't even compare to this one, though I will be replacing it in the near future. Appreciate any help!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis