Help with a tough room

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
Wow.. That's crazy lol. Seriously listen to them when you get them Jred.. They're most definitely going to be lacking

Not trying to pawn my stuff off, but if you decide you want a bit more out of your sub for your space, I've got a turbo from my gen which HSU confirmed will fit on their new line. It doubles the port length so that the one sub moves as much air as two subs.. Just a thought ;)

J

jred2002

Enthusiast
Wow.. That's crazy lol. Seriously listen to them when you get them Jred.. They're most definitely going to be lacking

Not trying to pawn my stuff off, but if you decide you want a bit more out of your sub for your space, I've got a turbo from my gen which HSU confirmed will fit on their new line. It doubles the port length so that the one sub moves as much air as two subs.. Just a thought ;)
Oh man that is just nuts - I guess they are barely worth free :D

J

jred2002

Enthusiast

I might have to take you up on that. I will be ordering the speakers soon and I will see how everything sounds. I am still up in the air between in-walls and small speakers for the surrounds. Even though it looks like they are junk, I will probably use the bose just until I make a decision.

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
i didn't read this thread.

but

that is an easy room. move the tv to where the 2 windows are. mount speakers as a typical setup.

K

kleinwl

Audioholic
Some Extra Stuff to Consider

One point to consider is "extras":

Microphone for calibration - REW software to measure room response. You can get REW (hometheathershack.com) free and it does a great job measuring room response at your lisening positions.

Room Treatments - Bass Traps, etc

EQ systems - Feedback Destroyer ($150) to allow you to manually set PEQ.

William

J

jred2002

Enthusiast
i didn't read this thread.

but

that is an easy room. move the tv to where the 2 windows are. mount speakers as a typical setup.
Thanks you but I wasn't looking to cover the windows.

One point to consider is "extras":

Microphone for calibration - REW software to measure room response. You can get REW (hometheathershack.com) free and it does a great job measuring room response at your lisening positions.

Room Treatments - Bass Traps, etc

EQ systems - Feedback Destroyer ($150) to allow you to manually set PEQ.

William
Thank you I will look into both of these.

Here is an update on where I am. The 2020 is in and the HSU sub has been ordered along with wires and plugs. I am in the process of trying to find a stand to fit my 65" tv and the ascend Sierra Horizon. I do the IT for a office furniture company so I am in the process of getting a custom unit quoted. I should be able to get a pretty decent price.

The one thing I am not set on is the surrounds. I didn't realize at first that the HTD HD-W80's were 14" x 10". There is no way my girl is going to go for cover that big on the wall. I was hoping to get some suggestions on some nice surrounds that take up very little real estate. I don't care if they are in-wall or not but the smaller the better. I know you can get much of a range from tiny speakers but for me the smaller the better. With the yamaha 2020, HSU sub, and the ascend Sierra towers I will have a good front end so I don't want to mess anything up like hizzaah said.

you don't want to mess that vibe by using surrounds that can't reproduce the necessary range of sounds.

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
Any of the other htd in walls would work well if they're a more appropriate size. I think the round ones are a bit smaller..

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
The one thing I am not set on is the surrounds. I didn't realize at first that the HTD HD-W80's were 14" x 10". There is no way my girl is going to go for cover that big on the wall. I was hoping to get some suggestions on some nice surrounds that take up very little real estate. I don't care if they are in-wall or not but the smaller the better. I know you can get much of a range from tiny speakers but for me the smaller the better. With the yamaha 2020, HSU sub, and the ascend Sierra towers I will have a good front end so I don't want to mess anything up like hizzaah said.
Look at the HTD Middy
HTD Flat Panel and Compact Speakers

And, Acoustic Energy Aego T
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ACENAEGOTSAT/ACOUSTIC-ENERGY-AEGO-AE12-10-T-Series-4in-Satellite-Speaker-Black-Each/1.html

J

jred2002

Enthusiast
It's no problem at all! I'm trying to make it a good experience for you so you'll sick around lol. At least to update us on your install with pics.

Good call, one sub is probably sufficient. I only get to really use mine a few hours a day when the neighbors aren't home (shared wall). Mine is a last gen model, but the output is still insane and my living room is open to the kitchen, dining room, and a hallway. The Ascends you're looking at would be a level of quality several steps above mine and mine are amazing. They can be pretty bassy just on their own. If you can swing them, you won't be disappointed!
I want to thank everyone for all of your help, especially you hizzaah. I just got everything set up and this is what I went with.

Yamaha 2020
Sierra Towers w/ribbon uprade
Sierra Horizon Center w/ribbon uprade
HSU VTF3 MK4 sub
and HD-W65 surrounds

and here are some pics

surr1.jpg

surr2.jpg

surr3.jpg

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
That looks great! The cabinet is perfect!

What're your impressions?

It was my pleasure! I was just thinking about this post the other day as was about to post for an update actually..

Jordan

J

jred2002

Enthusiast
Everything about it is amazing. I couldn't be more happy with it. I am not sure I have it dialed in perfect. I just let the ypao do the setup and to me it sounds great.

Sorry for the delay, I probably could have updated a little in between.

The Sierras were on a 4 week back order because they ran out of ribbon tweeters.
The sub came in damaged and had to return it.

And the cabinet actually took the longest. The reason it fit so good was I had it custom built. I couldn't find anything to fit that Sierra Horizon Center so I eventually just had one built.

That really turned out nice too. I cut out for temp controlled fans and ran an IR repeater through it so the doors only have to open for disc changes.

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
Everything about it is amazing. I couldn't be more happy with it. I am not sure I have it dialed in perfect. I just let the ypao do the setup and to me it sounds great.
ypao probably did a pretty decent job. If you're like me, you'll end up fine tuning it over time and annoying other viewers in the process

Sorry for the delay, I probably could have updated a little in between.

The Sierras were on a 4 week back order because they ran out of ribbon tweeters.
The sub came in damaged and had to return it.
I figured the Sierras might take a while, but that really sucks about the sub. What was damaged? HSU took care of the return easily?

And the cabinet actually took the longest. The reason it fit so good was I had it custom built. I couldn't find anything to fit that Sierra Horizon Center so I eventually just had one built.

That really turned out nice too. I cut out for temp controlled fans and ran an IR repeater through it so the doors only have to open for disc changes.
Beautiful cabinet.. Really gorgeous. Fans are a good idea when enclosing equipment. Repeaters were a nice touch as well.

J

jred2002

Enthusiast
ypao probably did a pretty decent job. If you're like me, you'll end up fine tuning it over time and annoying other viewers in the process
Yeah probably on both. Sounds great though so I'll leave it alone for a little while.

I figured the Sierras might take a while, but that really sucks about the sub. What was damaged? HSU took care of the return easily?
It looked like it was nicked by a forklift. There was no real visible damage to the packaging but the sub had a deep dent in it. HSU was great taking care of it though. They offered a discount to keep it but since my Sierras weren't coming for 3 more weeks I couldn't test it out. They scheduled a pickup from fedex and as soon as they got the tracking from them they sent another right out. It wasn't a big deal. I probably would have been more bummed if I already had the speakers and the tv stand.

Beautiful cabinet.. Really gorgeous. Fans are a good idea when enclosing equipment. Repeaters were a nice touch as well.
I love the cabinet. It's better than anything I ever thought I would find. I do IT for an office furniture company so I got a really great discount on it too. I got lucky with it too. One of their standard finishes matched the rest of our furniture perfectly.

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
Awesome.. Well now that everything is setup, snap some more pics and put a gallery up in the System Gallery :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis