J

jred2002

Enthusiast
Reciever: Yamaha RX-A3020BL
Fronts: Klipsch RF-82II
Center: Klipsch RC-62 II
Surrounds: Klipsch RS-52II
Sub: Premier Acoustic PA150 (Maybe 2?)

As you can see I am dealing with a difficult room. The TV and furniture are pretty much staying put. I know the acoustics are not good and probably will never get the sound I am truly hoping for. Because of this I would like to keep it in the price range I have chosen. I am really just hoping for a solid system for movies and some music (on the heavier side).

I chose the Yamaha RX-A3020BL because I loved the app and network features. In the future I am also hoping to use the multiple zones for outdoors and upstairs. I chose the speakers because I have done some listening and enjoyed the Klipsch. I am not sold yet on the sub as I have never actually listened to that one so I am up for suggestions on that too. I am starting out with 5.1 (or 5.2) and will be expanding but have not figured out a good layout in my living room for the addition speakers.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated and thank you for taking the time to read.

E

English210

Audioholic
That is a tough room. Throw it out and start again??

Ok, failing that, it seems the sitting positions are to each side of the Tv. Anything against the 'back' wall? The one that's 15 1/2 feet from the TV wall? Looks like your choices for listening position will have you about 2-3' from one main speaker or the other?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yikes. Eliminate (or downsize) coffee table, place seating where optimal and go from there. That is a pretty tough room, but doable IMO.

J

jred2002

Enthusiast
Sorry guys that's my fault. I work from home a lot and actually sit in a task chair directly across from the TV and forgot to put that in. I just sort of through that together fast and left that out.

This is directly in front of the TV on the other side of the coffee table.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
As you can see I am dealing with a difficult room. The TV and furniture are pretty much staying put. I know the acoustics are not good and probably will never get the sound I am truly hoping for. Because of this I would like to keep it in the price range I have chosen. I am really just hoping for a solid system for movies and some music (on the heavier side).
You want to stay in the price range you've chosen? Any indication on what that might be?

J

jred2002

Enthusiast
You want to stay in the price range you've chosen? Any indication on what that might be?
Sorry I was slacking :p

Reciever: Yamaha RX-A3020BL - $2,000
Fronts: Klipsch RF-82II – 2 x $599
Center: Klipsch RC-62 II – 1 x $549
Surrounds: Klipsch RS-52II – 2 x $370
Sub: Premier Acoustic PA150 (Maybe 2?) – 1 x 425 (or 2 x 425)

so $5,000 ish

J

jred2002

Enthusiast
This is how it looks from the other side.

The wall behind the task chair is a half wall with an open railing. I lost patience trying to figure out how to do that with the software I was using.

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
Hmm.. With that setup, I would personally consider one of two things.. In ceiling speakers for the surrounds or simply put all you budget towards a powerful 2.1 or 3.1.

You said you wanted to start 5.1 so the in ceiling might not be a bad way to go. You could start running the wires for your future other zones while you're up there too.

Or move the TV to the inset where the windows are and rotate the furniture. Then you'd definitely be able to setup a 5.1 or 5.2 and could use in ceilings for the future 6th and 7th speakers as well as the other zones.. Your "office" could be moved over towards where the TV sits currently...

J

jred2002

Enthusiast
Hmm.. With that setup, I would personally consider one of two things.. In ceiling speakers for the surrounds or simply put all you budget towards a powerful 2.1 or 3.1.

You said you wanted to start 5.1 so the in ceiling might not be a bad way to go. You could start running the wires for your future other zones while you're up there too.

Or move the TV to the inset where the windows are and rotate the furniture. Then you'd definitely be able to setup a 5.1 or 5.2 and could use in ceilings for the future 6th and 7th speakers as well as the other zones.. Your "office" could be moved over towards where the TV sits currently...
Thank you - I Think I have figured out the placement of the 5.1 speakers. For the most part I am trying to figure out whether my speakers and receiver are a. a good fit together and b. are they good for that space.

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
Yeah, I think that setup would pair well together. A few notes though:

Klipsch makes sensitive, solid, quality speakers. They are horned though so they usually sound bright. Some people like that, it just depends.

The sub seems pretty decent, but I'd like to offer an alternative in the form of the HSU VTF3 MK4. It's a very powerful sub and is great for it's price ($800 shipped)

The receiver is very powerful and of quality build. Can I ask why you chose the 3020 over the 2020? There's a good comparison chart on Amazon here (towards the bottom of the page). It might save you a bit of coin if you take a step down.

I know you said $5kish (with 2 subs your choices come to almost $5.5k) so I'd like to give you some alternative speaker set, but they might be at the top of your budget.

SVSound released their Ultra speaker line not too long ago. They offer a 45 day in-home trial with free shipping both ways. They also have a 1 year trade in program where you get full credit back to trade up within the first year if you want. I haven't seen any official reviews yet, but initial impressions are fantastic!
Speakers - SVS
SVS Ultra Speakers Loudspeakers Preview — Reviews and News from Audioholics

The other suggestion is the Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers, Sierra Horizon Center, with Sierra 1 bookshelves as surrounds. These will be more expensive, but they're fantastic speakers. They have an optional tweeter upgrade as well, but it would bump the budget quite a bit more.. They also offer a 30 day trial (you have to pay shipping though)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower Floorstanding Loudspeakers A true music lovers' floorstanding speaker. Review By Clarke Robinson

Note: You could possibly pass on a subwoofer for now using either of these suggestions. You do have a ton of open space, so I would suggest passing on the surrounds before passing on a sub, to be added at a later date that is..

Last edited:
J

jred2002

Enthusiast
Yeah, I think that setup would pair well together. A few notes though:

Klipsch makes sensitive, solid, quality speakers. They are horned though so they usually sound bright. Some people like that, it just depends.

The sub seems pretty decent, but I'd like to offer an alternative in the form of the HSU VTF3 MK4. It's a very powerful sub and is great for it's price ($800 shipped)

The receiver is very powerful and of quality build. Can I ask why you chose the 3020 over the 2020? There's a good comparison chart on Amazon here (towards the bottom of the page). It might save you a bit of coin if you take a step down.

I know you said $5kish (with 2 subs your choices come to almost $5.5k) so I'd like to give you some alternative speaker set, but they might be at the top of your budget.

SVSound released their Ultra speaker line not too long ago. They offer a 45 day in-home trial with free shipping both ways. They also have a 1 year trade in program where you get full credit back to trade up within the first year if you want. I haven't seen any official reviews yet, but initial impressions are fantastic!
Speakers - SVS
SVS Ultra Speakers Loudspeakers Preview — Reviews and News from Audioholics

The other suggestion is the Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers, Sierra Horizon Center, with Sierra 1 bookshelves as surrounds. These will be more expensive, but they're fantastic speakers. They have an optional tweeter upgrade as well, but it would bump the budget quite a bit more.. They also offer a 30 day trial (you have to pay shipping though)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower Floorstanding Loudspeakers A true music lovers' floorstanding speaker. Review By Clarke Robinson

Note: You could possibly pass on a subwoofer for now using either of these suggestions. You do have a ton of open space, so I would suggest passing on the surrounds before passing on a sub, to be added at a later date that is..

Wow great info - thank you.

You are absolutely right with the 2020 over the 3020. My initial thought was I would get the option for the 11.2 for the future if I wanted but that is not going to happen with this house. We just built 3 years ago and if we build again I will allow for a TH room. At that point I could upgrade if need be. The only real difference I see was 140w x 9ch vs 150w x 9ch. Would this make a noticeable difference?

For the sub I am loving what I am reading on the HSU VTF3 MK4. Would you suggest 2 of these for this set up? Or was it because I said I was thinking of 2. I am ok with whatever is best.

For the speakers I think for me it would be between the Klipse and the SVS. There isn't a whole lot of reviews out there for the SVS but for what I read they are fantastic. I really like the low profile on the surrounds with my space restrictions(just 5" deep).

Here are the prices I am coming up with:

I can do the 2020 klipse 5.0 and 2 HSU subs for around $5400 - this is right around what I was hoping.

I can do the 2020 SVS 5.0 and 2 HSU subs for around $6800

Is the $1400 extra for the SVS worth it in your opinion?

Thank you again.

J

jred2002

Enthusiast
Also would any in-wall speakers work for the surrounds with the Klipse or the SVS? Or should you not mix and math the 5.0s? That would really help with those space constraints.

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
Wow great info - thank you.

You are absolutely right with the 2020 over the 3020. My initial thought was I would get the option for the 11.2 for the future if I wanted but that is not going to happen with this house. We just built 3 years ago and if we build again I will allow for a TH room. At that point I could upgrade if need be. The only real difference I see was 140w x 9ch vs 150w x 9ch. Would this make a noticeable difference?
The 10W shouldn't make that much of a difference. both sets of speakers should get plenty loud for your space. If they aren't, you'd be better off adding dedicated amp instead of paying the additional money for the extra 10W out of the 3020..

For the sub I am loving what I am reading on the HSU VTF3 MK4. Would you suggest 2 of these for this set up? Or was it because I said I was thinking of 2. I am ok with whatever is best.
I was thinking you would need just one, but that's up to you. You could order one and decide then if you want a second. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with just one though. I'd call HSU and chat with them and see what they recommend. They have extremely helpful CSR's and several people note actually getting to talk with Dr. Hsu himself when he's free.

For the speakers I think for me it would be between the Klipse and the SVS. There isn't a whole lot of reviews out there for the SVS but for what I read they are fantastic. I really like the low profile on the surrounds with my space restrictions(just 5" deep).

Here are the prices I am coming up with:

I can do the 2020 klipse 5.0 and 2 HSU subs for around $5400 - this is right around what I was hoping.

I can do the 2020 SVS 5.0 and 2 HSU subs for around $6800

Is the $1400 extra for the SVS worth it in your opinion?

Thank you again.
That's going to be a tough call. A ton of engineering went into the SVS Ultras. If I had the option, I personally would pick them over the Klipsch. I prefer them aesthetically and I have heard a pair of Klipsch with the horn and they were (as many people say) bright. You're hopefully not going to need to buy speakers for quite a while after this purchase so the only real way to know is to do a comparison. In your position I would buy the SVS Towers, the Klipsch towers, the receiver and the sub. Then you'll have both sets of towers to do a direct comparison and when you're done just return the pair you don't want and buy your center and surrounds. If budget is a concern here, then hold off on the sub until you're done comparing the towers.

Again, SVS has a good help line as far as speaker advice. I'm not sure if klipsch has the same though.

Also would any in-wall speakers work for the surrounds with the Klipse or the SVS? Or should you not mix and math the 5.0s? That would really help with those space constraints.
Just about anything should work fine, it's more important that your front three speakers match. Note that you could get the SVS or Klipsch bookshelf speakers from the series instead of dipole/bipole surrounds. I'm not sure that they're much smaller, but it's an option.

Can I ask why you passed on the Ascends? Besides the fact that they exceed your original budget by quite a bit lol. If you're going to buy basic in-walls for surrounds, you just about could swing the Ascends with the tweeter upgrades for the price of the SVS 5.0 :D

Matte Black Sierra Towers (upgraded tweeter) $2700 shipped
Matter Black Sierra Horizon Center (Upgraded Tweeter) $1400 shipped
HSU MK4 $800 shipped
Yamaha 2020 $1600 shipped (Amazon)
-------
$6500 shipped not including the cost of the in wall surrounds (even decent HTD in-walls are under $200/pr). Sorry, it's easy to get excited (read: more $$$$) when helping other people pick out their gear lol. We don't want you to over extend yourself because some crazy person on the internet said so :)

http://www.htd.com/Products/high-definition/HD-W80-in-wall-speakers

Last edited:
J

jred2002

Enthusiast
I was thinking you would need just one, but that's up to you. You could order one and decide then if you want a second. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with just one though. I'd call HSU and chat with them and see what they recommend. They have extremely helpful CSR's and several people note actually getting to talk with Dr. Hsu himself when he's free.
I will give them a call but probably start out with the one.

Can I ask why you passed on the Ascends? Besides the fact that they exceed your original budget by quite a bit lol. If you're going to buy basic in-walls for surrounds, you just about could swing the Ascends with the tweeter upgrades for the price of the SVS 5.0
haha yeah that was pretty much it. The more and more I am reading about the Ascends, the more I am leaning towards them. The $5k isn't set in stone so the $6500 is doable. I just have I also found the 2020 for $1200 so I can get the HTD in-walls and still come under the $6500.

Sorry, it's easy to get excited (read: more $$$$) when helping other people pick out their gear lol. We don't want you to over extend yourself because some crazy person on the internet said so
lol no problem at all. This is a lot of fun for me too and I really appreciate the help.

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
It's no problem at all! I'm trying to make it a good experience for you so you'll sick around lol. At least to update us on your install with pics.

Good call, one sub is probably sufficient. I only get to really use mine a few hours a day when the neighbors aren't home (shared wall). Mine is a last gen model, but the output is still insane and my living room is open to the kitchen, dining room, and a hallway. The Ascends you're looking at would be a level of quality several steps above mine and mine are amazing. They can be pretty bassy just on their own. If you can swing them, you won't be disappointed!

J

jred2002

Enthusiast
It's no problem at all! I'm trying to make it a good experience for you so you'll sick around lol. At least to update us on your install with pics.
haha so far it's been great I will be sure to post pics when I'm done.

Good call, one sub is probably sufficient. I only get to really use mine a few hours a day when the neighbors aren't home (shared wall). Mine is a last gen model, but the output is still insane and my living room is open to the kitchen, dining room, and a hallway. The Ascends you're looking at would be a level of quality several steps above mine and mine are amazing. They can be pretty bassy just on their own. If you can swing them, you won't be disappointed!
I am really excited about the speakers and sub and I am going with both the Ascends and the HSU MK4. I just ordered the 2020 and the I will order the rest soon.

Another question. Would there work for my surrounds? Bose Acoustmass Direct/Reflecting Speaker

I know the bose are not well received on this forum and the HTD in-walls are pretty inexpensive but I have the opportunity the have a set of those bose for free (2 years old).

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
I mean if they're free, it's not going to hurt anything to try them out right? I didn't see any specs with my quick Google search, but if it turns out they're junk then it won't have cost you anything. Just be really critical of your listening and decide if they're ok to keep. The Ascends and HSU are going to be awesome, you don't want to mess that vibe by using surrounds that can't reproduce the necessary range of sounds.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis