help with a subwoofer decision

R

ringbearer3791

Audioholic Intern
I am looking to upgrade the subwoofer in my home theater and have found a lot of help here on the sight reading reviews and comments. My room is 15x21x8 (2500 cubic feet) and i'm currently running an all-snell setup:

XA55CR center
K5 mains
K3 surrounds
PS-10 subwoofer

I've been very happy with the system as a whole, particularly the mains and the center but the sub doesn't perform to the rest of the system. It doesn't have as much depth as i'd like and it shows the strain when a lot of LF content is pushed it's way.

I've got a budget around $1500 to work with and it appears from my reading that at that price point the axiom ep-500 and the svs pb12-plus/2 may be the best bets. my question is, am i missing anything else i should be looking at and of these 2 which is preferred.

thanks in advance for the advice.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
For the new discounted price of the SVS Plus/2, I think you can't go wrong...

I think either are great subs, but the SVS has a much nicer finish, and will Shake that puny room with a richter scale rating.......

I have one in my 8200 cu ft room... Freaking scary.. !!!

good luck with your purchase... to me its a no brainer...
Dual 12's or a single 12...

Gimpy Ric

Gimpy Ric

Don't rule out Hsu Research, but I'll admit, SVS has nicer finishes in my opinion. I have the "Top of the line" Hsu, and its scary bad to the bone. And the extra ports come off (Hsu calls them "Turbos"). But that SVS deal is hard to beat.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If there are any left, the Plus/2 would be my choice.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
The Axiom has better sound quality, the SVS will be louder.

With that budget though, you could get two subs (like two Hsu VTF3-MK3's or two PC20-39PCi's). If it's a single sub you want, in addition to the two you list you should consider the PB13-Ultra from SVS and the VTF3-HO w/Turbo from Hsu. IMO, the Hsu w/Turbo is probably the best-bang-for-the-buck $1000 sub out there.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
The Axiom has better sound quality, the SVS will be louder.

With that budget though, you could get two subs (like two Hsu VTF3-MK3's or two PC20-39PCi's). If it's a single sub you want, in addition to the two you list you should consider the PB13-Ultra from SVS and the VTF3-HO w/Turbo from Hsu. IMO, the Hsu w/Turbo is probably the best-bang-for-the-buck $1000 sub out there.
Care to back that up?

SheepStar

R

ringbearer3791

Audioholic Intern
thanks for the input

thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I'm a new father and my home theater doubles as the family room so getting the loudest sub possible isn't as large a concern for me as getting one that goes low and plays clean. it sounds like i have several good options to choose from. now maybe i can convince the wife to let me demo them!

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
so getting the loudest sub possible isn't as large a concern for me as getting one that goes low and plays clean.
That is why the SVS PB12-Plus/2 was recommended to you. Because of how low, and tight the bass output is. Not just because it can play "Loud".

evilkat

evilkat

Senior Audioholic
That is why the SVS PB12-Plus/2 was recommended to you. Because of how low, and tight the bass output is. Not just because it can play "Loud".
Having two subs would of course allow u to play louder I imagine. However, doesn't it also benefit sound quality (possibly cancel out standing waves, 'tighter bass', etc, etc) ? Just curious as to the benefits and if it would be applicable to the LOTR guy's situation :)

R

ringbearer3791

Audioholic Intern
kudos to evilkat for recognizing the moniker!

Matt34

Matt34

I'd also give both Elemental Designs and Epik a look at before making your decision.

A couple ED A5-350's at $1200 shipped would be very tempting if I were in your situation.

Last edited:
Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I'd also give both Elemental Designs and Epik a look at before making your decision.

I couple ED A5-350's at $1200 shipped would be very tempting if I were in your situation.
I agree, If it were not the finish and looks, then I would have gotten something like that....

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
Care to back that up?

SheepStar
AFAIK, there's nothing to "measure" quality besides opinion. You can measure loudness, but that's pretty useless as a quality indicator. I could say Mercedes is a better car than Hyundai, but if mpg is your primary concern, maybe the Elantra is a better car for you. It depends on your application.

I actually *own* a Plus/2 (12.3) and Ultra (TV12). The Plus/2 is very loud, but sloppier than the ultra. The Axiom and the (TV12) Ultra are a virtual tie to me in SQ. YMMV. For HT, any of them would be fine and if output is your primary concern, the plus/2 is a fine choice.

Have you ever heard a Plus/2? If i had to do it all over again (with the Plus/2) it'd be a Hsu VTF3-HO w/Turbo.

Last edited:
R

ringbearer3791

Audioholic Intern
Abboudc,

Thanks. No, i haven't heard a plus/2 yet. Nor have i actually heard the axiom or the ultra but your assessment of the ultra being cleaner/tighter than the plus/2 and being equivalent to the axiom is exactly the sort of review i've been looking for here. I know that any of these subs is going to give me at least as much (ok, way more) volume than i'm going to be using so i'm really concerned with trying to get the cleanest sound i can down to and around the 16-20 Hz range up to around 80 Hz.

Josh

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
Abboudc,

Thanks. No, i haven't heard a plus/2 yet. Nor have i actually heard the axiom or the ultra but your assessment of the ultra being cleaner/tighter than the plus/2 and being equivalent to the axiom is exactly the sort of review i've been looking for here. I know that any of these subs is going to give me at least as much (ok, way more) volume than i'm going to be using so i'm really concerned with trying to get the cleanest sound i can down to and around the 16-20 Hz range up to around 80 Hz.

Josh
Just keep in mind i have an "old" ultra. The new ultra is a different animal altogether and far surpasses any of the subs above.

In any case, good luck with your sub hunt. It can be fun, and no doubt you won't be disappointed in *any* of the subs above.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
AFAIK, there's nothing to "measure" quality besides opinion. You can measure loudness, but that's pretty useless as a quality indicator. I could say Mercedes is a better car than Hyundai, but if mpg is your primary concern, maybe the Elantra is a better car for you. It depends on your application.

I actually *own* a Plus/2 (12.3) and Ultra (TV12). The Plus/2 is very loud, but sloppier than the ultra. The Axiom and the (TV12) Ultra are a virtual tie to me in SQ. YMMV. For HT, any of them would be fine and if output is your primary concern, the plus/2 is a fine choice.

Have you ever heard a Plus/2? If i had to do it all over again (with the Plus/2) it'd be a Hsu VTF3-HO w/Turbo.
I haven't found any local SVS owners.. so it's hard to audition.

Still, unless your conclusions were gathered under blind protocol.... they're subjective.

SheepStar

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
Still, unless your conclusions were gathered under blind protocol.... they're subjective.
SheepStar
Opinions usually are ;)

Since I was the one doing the switching, there was no way to do it blind. But to say "because it's not blind, it's not valid" isn't completely accurate either, otherwise we'd have no car reviews :) Preferable? Yes. Completely invalid results if its not blind? No.

Others may come to different conclusions, as with all things. Overall, i like the ultra better since you get more/nicer finish options. But soundwise i couldn't give the edge to either. One man's opinion, yours may differ.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis