help: wifi stream music from nas => mobile device => external amp

M

minime

Audiophyte
Hi,
Would it be possible to stream music between nas, your handheld device (phone, pc, tablet etc) and send the sound via wifi to an external amplifier?

Lets say I'v setup a freenas server and PLEX that allow me to access all my media over my LAN
and let say that I have a non networked hifi system that I want to listen to the music I stream down to my hand held device - how would I go about sending what I stream onwards to my hifi system?
I've seen various wifi audio receivers sun as Digifunc, Apple airplay etc but exactly how would that work?

What I like to do is essentially remove the need to connect my handheld device via RCA cable between the devices spf in/out on the amp and instead be able to transfer the content being pulled down to my handheld device from nas and forward it to my amp via WIFI

Is this possible ? And if so what do I need to get?

cheers

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Since you didn't specified the model of your "theoretical" handheld device, all i could tell you is both Bluetooth and airplay would be functional solutions. Airplay for iDevices, Bluetooth for rest. Preferably later with Aptx support. Alternatively you could get amazon fire tv stick with plex client and use your handheld devices as glorified remote controls

M

minime

Audiophyte
Since you didn't specified the model of your "theoretical" handheld device, all i could tell you is both Bluetooth and airplay would be functional solutions. Airplay for iDevices, Bluetooth for rest. Preferably later with Aptx support. Alternatively you could get amazon fire tv stick with plex client and use your handheld devices as glorified remote controls
Hi & thanks for the suggestions.

Seem that you would be able to provide a bit more details if I told you what kid of clients I would like to plan for...
Ideally for ...
* Pc/laptop (X64 windows based)
* Android phone such as Samsung
* IOS (Apple devices such as iphone

Scratching my head when it comes to mixing blue tooth and wifi though.
From what I can understand my client device must talk to my FreeNas server and PLEX over the internet i.e wifi.
Then it need to send the sound to my amp which isnt network capable - so it seem that I need to find some gadget that I can connect to my amps spf input that act as the gateway/replacement for a direct cabled setup between my hand held device and the amp where my handheld sends the signal on to this spf input "gadget" - If I use bluetooth I think I would remove the chance to also use wifi.
The amazon gadget you mentioned havent got the best reviews and seem to center around visual media - perhaps no difference, but wonder how this technology and in particular the remote would be other than yet another painful non screen based interface that I now need to carry with me.

In short all I want to do is to replace the spf cabled connection with my amp with some airway gadget that allow my device to send the audio on to my amp

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Normally airplay and bluetooth wireless rarely meet in same box, well some new receivers do support both formats, but then there are gadgets like this one : http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=9SIA2T21SW0947&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-Mobile&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-Mobile-_-pla-_-All+Headphones+&+Accessories-_-9SIA2T21SW0947&gclid=CjwKEAiAyMCnBRDa0Pyex-qswB0SJADKNMKAQyb2QAJ84osHCz-nqPjaIlPcYISUgf5Vb_N_lUbjlRoCZenw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
I honestly don't know much about it, but at it's low price it might be worth a chance to try.
For purely airport, you could buy airport express.
As for reviews of fire tv stick - most people don't bother with plex or God forbid sideloaded kodi. Trust me - it's working nicely. I also have freenas with plex server

M

minime

Audiophyte
Normally airplay and bluetooth wireless rarely meet in same box, well some new receivers do support both formats, but then there are gadgets like this ...
I honestly don't know much about it, but at it's low price it might be worth a chance to try.
For purely airport, you could buy airport express.
As for reviews of fire tv stick - most people don't bother with plex or God forbid sideloaded kodi. Trust me - it's working nicely. I also have freenas with plex server
Thanks mate,
I've sorted it - all you really need is a audio bluetooth adapter - went down and got me a Logitech audio bluetooth adapter that simply connects to my amp - i'm now able to peer my handheld mobile device with the bluetooth device and then stream my media from freenas down and push the audio on to my external amp - works really well, but occasionally seem to drop out - So the location relative to your mobile device seem to be playing with it - the bluetooth is said to operate smoothly up to 15 metre (uninterrupted I say :) - a few $40+ bux well spent for the convenince for sure - now my son want one as well :)

Btw this dont lock u down to your device op - works just as well with ios andriod and pc's

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I've sorted it - all you really need is a audio bluetooth adapter - went down and got me a Logitech audio bluetooth adapter that simply connects to my amp - i'm now able to peer my handheld mobile device with the bluetooth device and then stream my media from freenas down and push the audio on to my external amp - works really well, but occasionally seem to drop out - So the location relative to your mobile device seem to be playing with it - the bluetooth is said to operate smoothly up to 15 metre (uninterrupted I say :) - a few $40+ bux well spent for the convenince for sure - now my son want one as well :)

Btw this dont lock u down to your device op - works just as well with ios andriod and pc's
I love how you got sorted it out all by yourself ;):rolleyes::D
BT is of course works on both ios and android, but Airplay (limited to ios) would provide higher quality streaming.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis