Help - Use for old Bose AM7 speakers

B

bosesux

Audiophyte
Posting in the speakers forum since it seemed more appropriate than the Rcvr. forum :)

Hi,

First off, what excellent forums you have here @ Audioholics!

I had a really old (~ 11 years old!) Sony Dolby Pro Logic rcvr. which I just replaced with a Denon 3805 based on the feedback/reviews in the rcvr. forum.

Unfortunately, I'm still stuck my old Bose AM7 speaker set which I was using with the old Sony rcvr. They sound a little bit better paired with the new Denon - but - basically they still suck.

I need your help/suggestion on the following (as I'm basically clueless in the HT dept :) :
- What are your thoughts on pairing the Denon 3805 with the Mirage OMNISAT v2 FS and CC speakers? If not, what are some good options (mainly for watching movies) if I have a budget of $1500.
- Can I use the old Bose speakers as surrounds?

Thanks in advance.

E

einsteinjb

Audioholic
Hello and welcome.

bosesux said:
What are your thoughts on pairing the Denon 3805 with the Mirage OMNISAT v2 FS and CC speakers? If not, what are some good options (mainly for watching movies) if I have a budget of $1500.
I can't comment on the Mirages as I know nothing about them but you have a lot of great choices within that budget. I'm pre-ordering a pair of both SVS' new SBS-01 bookshelfs and the new Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SEs based on what I know about SVS and what I've read about Ascend. You can put together a great 5.0 system from either company for well under your $1500 budget that'll sound so much better than your Bose speakers... Well it'll be so much better I can't even come up with a witty enough analogy. :p Personally I'm REALLY looking forward to making way too much noise this coming January with my new toys. :eek:

bosesux said:
Can I use the old Bose speakers as surrounds?
CAN you? I don't know but probably. SHOULD you? THAT's the question isn't it! ;) Wouldn't you feel better about donating them to a good cause? Say, a deaf relative? :D

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
bosesux said:
Can I use the old Bose speakers as surrounds?

Thanks in advance.
.....sure, Bosesux, which it don't, and they would be very good surrounds most probably....people try to say their build quality is akin to matchsticks, Elmer's, and kleenex....well, it's plenty good enough to give their speakers, not cubes, a very good predictable-for-Bose presence and clarity also....would I buy any Bose products at this time?....no, but why not use up what there is?....Accoustamass....guys, that truck will roll no matter how many tires we shoot out....we recognize monster products as quality, do we not?.....correct, five prices for an extremely slight difference only detectable with a scope....that's audio.....video, whenever I decide to attempt to tackle the video end of my theater, monster video cables will be given a chance from various comments I've heard....any input on that?..........

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Welcome BOSESUX!

Do you want to stay with small cube like speakers or are you open to larger speakers? If so, how large?

also, Your room size?

We'll probable give you too many suggestions.;)

SBF1

B

bosesux

Audiophyte
einsteinjb ,mulester7, STRONGBADF1: Thank you for your responses.

STRONGBADF1 said:
Welcome BOSESUX!

Do you want to stay with small cube like speakers or are you open to larger speakers? If so, how large?

also, Your room size?

We'll probable give you too many suggestions.;)

SBF1
My main goal is to get something good and that sounds better than the Bose speakers I currently have.

I'm open to large speakers - probably not too large for our living room which is 16x20 feet.

In hindsight, I wish I had too many suggestions so I would've gotten something other than Bose :)

Thanks again for all your help!

B

BostonMark

Audioholic
Living

Martha Stewart had some good suggestions on uses for old Bose speakers.

First remove the speaker from the box.
Paint the enclosure with a nice color, perhaps a gold flec paint, or a glossy white.
Buy a good grade of potting soil.
Fill the speaker enclosure with the potting soil.
Plant some flower seeds that will do well in low light.

Now you have an attractive decorative plant holder!
Make sure to water regularly!

It should even meet the WAF.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I recommend the SVS or Ascend system.

www.svsound.com

www.ascendacoustics.com

For 1500 from Ascend, yout can get all CBM-170's and a 340 center. Add a STF-2 for bass are your set.

For 1500 from SVS, you can get the whole system with a PB-10 for bass.

Each one is below your $1500 budgets before shipping and tax, but they shouldn't go much higher.

SheepStar

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
The below link would be my suggestion if you are willing to go floorstander. There are built in subs but I'd suggest you enjoy this setup for a bit and then add a killer sub in the future.
http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/MORD500SPKPACKAGE

For a bookshef setup you can go very tiny with the HSU ventriloquist setup and add in and sft3 and still be well under a grand, or go slightly bigger (which is usually better) and follow the other suggestions. Just figured I'd thow you a couple more options.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
More speakers

I would also consider Axiom Audio. You should be able to get a nice 5.0 bookshef speaker setup for about 1K and add a $4-500 sub from SVS or HSU.

For the Bose, consider using they for music in other rooms using the speaker B connections or Zone 2 features of your new receiver.

SilverMK3

SilverMK3

Audioholic
I had a chance to demo a set of Mirage's at A&B Sound a few months ago. I have to say that I was VERY impressed by them and would buy them in a heartbeat if I were re-building my home theater. I have nothing but respect for API, the Canadian company that owns Mirage, Energy, and Athena.

R

rumble

Audioholic
jcPanny said:
For the Bose, consider using they for music in other rooms using the speaker B connections or Zone 2 features of your new receiver.

I'd glue em to the garage floor so I would know how far to pull my car in.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
You could put the Bose speakers in your bedroom.

[FLAME SHIELD ON]Personally, I don't think Bose is a terrible speaker, it's just over priced and overrated by the general public. They seem to percieve it as being the best thing since sliced bread (yeah, got that phrase from my grandma). I have a few friends who have Bose systems and they sound fine for what they are, definately not audiophile quality, but fine for a tiny speaker for normal people to use who like to pay alot (think monster cable). Don't toss them, just use them for a second room or your bathroom. [/FLAME SHIELD OFF]

Or you could sell them on Ebay.

Jeff

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis