Help Setting up Surround Sound with HDTV

T

tential

Audiophyte
www westinghousedigital com/details.aspx?itemnum=165#VALUE

I want to know if I can set up surround sound with this set. I don't know much about setting it up and I have the Z-5500 speakers.

ak buy com/db_assets/screen_shot_images/075/205467075_003.jpg
ak buy com/db_assets/screen_shot_images/075/205467075_004.jpg

Those are pictures of the jacks. I really need it soon as I wanna know whether I should cancel the order.

LVM-37w3se

Ports 1 x HDMI-HDCP
5 x Stereo Audio Line In
2 x DVI-HDCP
1 x HD-15 VGA In
1 x Audio Line In
1 x S-Video
1 x Stereo Audio Line Out
1 x Composite Video In
2 x Component Video In

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

What source(s) will you be using to feed video to that Westinghouse? You can't run surround sound with the Z-5500 using that Westinghouse as the audio source because it only has left/right analog outputs. However, the Westinghouse has no tuner built in - it is only a monitor. Therefore, you must feed it a video signal from somewhere. What you are using to feed it the video is what we need to know in regards to getting surround sound.

T

tential

Audiophyte
Welcome to the forum!

What source(s) will you be using to feed video to that Westinghouse? You can't run surround sound with the Z-5500 using that Westinghouse as the audio source because it only has left/right analog outputs. However, the Westinghouse has no tuner built in - it is only a monitor. Therefore, you must feed it a video signal from somewhere. What you are using to feed it the video is what we need to know in regards to getting surround sound.
Probably my computer but can I use a DVD player as well?

Edit: Sorry to sound dumb but what are my options really? I never set up a TV with no tuner. Can I use a DVD player as a tuner? How expensive is it to get those with a tuner? I really want to get the TV for watching TV and using it as a monitor. Also of course for playing games but I dunno how I can get it to do all that without having to replug everything each time.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Probably my computer but can I use a DVD player as well?
You can certainly set up surround sound from a computer or a DVD player, as long as they have either (a) a digital audio output or (b) multi-channel analog outputs. A lot of DVD players and computers have those. You would run the audio straight from one or both of those to the Z-5500, and then run the video separately to the Westinghouse.

You just can't get surround sound by running audio from that Westinghouse to the Z-5500 set. I wasn't sure if that was what you were asking.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Edit: Sorry to sound dumb but what are my options really? I never set up a TV with no tuner. Can I use a DVD player as a tuner? How expensive is it to get those with a tuner? I really want to get the TV for watching TV and using it as a monitor. Also of course for playing games but I dunno how I can get it to do all that without having to replug everything each time.
Just saw this.

You only need a tuner if you are trying to watch either (a) over-the-air television broadcasts or (b) cable without a cable box. If you are doing either of those, then you will need a tuner. Some options are to get a monitor with a built-in tuner (which that Westinghouse does not have), to get an external tuner (like the $60 ones for which you can get a $40 government coupon = $20 total price), get a TV tuner card for your computer, or get some other component with a tuner in it. That last option includes such things as DVD recorders with tuners (most DVD players won't have a tuner).

So, getting a tuner isn't tough, nor is it always necessary. I just wanted you to know that the Westinghouse doesn't have one.

EDIT: Also, VCRs have tuners in them, so if you have one of those around, you could use it if necessary. Not to complicate this too much, but there are two types of TV tuners: NTSC ("analog") and ATSC ("digital"). After February 2009, you won't be able to use an analog tuner for over-the-air broadcasts, so you would need a digital tuner. For cable, either type will be just fine. Most VCRs have analog tuners.

T

tential

Audiophyte
Ok but my problem is how do I set up surround sound with it? If I'm watching Cable without a box I can't use surround sound right? Like when can I use surround sound and how do I set it up? It's nice to hear that the tuner won't be expensive for the cable without a box.

T

Tyro69

Audiophyte
surround sound to hdtv for ps3

Hello, i have a 32'' Westinghouse 720p flat screen tv, and i had just bought some 40 dollar speaker set from wal-mart, so that i can play on my PS3. my ps3 is connected by HDMI and i have tried everyting from switching the settings on the TV and PS3, and unfortunatly nothing seems to work. if someone could tell me what the problem might be or a solution that would be great! Thank you, Tyler

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum, Tyler!

What are the brand and model number for the speakers that you bought? Let us know, and I'll look them up and see if I can help you with your issue.

Adam

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis