Help. Serious graphics card problems

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
i can only start my computer in safe mode because by the time catalyst control center loads my computer stops responding. this image hasn't been edited and isn't screwed up at all, that is what i have to deal with usually except its worse than that now when i start my computer. i overclocked the card a bit with catalyst control center and cant underclock it now or restore it to default because it gets so bad so quickly when it starts. 3 bsods today and 5 crashes so far. any help at all?

ps, even if i underclock the crad all the way is still does this randomly, but not this bad.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'm no expert, but this came to mind - perhaps it's overheating. If so, try blowing a fan directly on it (like a desk fan or something) to try and keep it cool long enough to reset it. If it's just gone unstable, though, you'll need the other computer gurus here to help you - sorry.

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
i found where it saved my overclock settings so i deleted the file and its not crashing anymore. but this problem will still happen, even when fully underclocked, i still get this problem sometimes, just to a lesser degree. anyone at least have a name for this issue? ANYTHING would be helpful. a solution would be best but i think thats amd's job because apparently other people have this problem too

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
anyone? its doing it pretty bad now fully underclocked

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
You'll want to go in BIOS to underclock your CPU, and use Rivatuner (program) to underclock your graphics card. Usually the BIOS can be accessed by hitting tab/delete/F1/F12 (depending on your motherboard) when your motherboard logo flashes on the screen (you'll also see which key you need to hit then as well). Then you can usually find a tab that will allow you to change you "FSB Frequency". Dropping it lower will underclock your CPU. I suggest going down by multiples of 10, but don't go under two thirds of what you're currently at.

Unfortunately, if you have a pre-built PC (meaning, you got it at a store) your BIOS will usually be locked and you will not be able to adjust your hardware settings (though you can still use Rivatuner to adjust your GPU). Reason, It's an "integrated video chipset", which means it's built straight into your motherboard. There's no way to underclock it either.

But I could be wrong.

But it sounds like you might be making a trip to your local computer repair store.

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
You'll want to go in BIOS to underclock your CPU, and use Rivatuner (program) to underclock your graphics card. Usually the BIOS can be accessed by hitting tab/delete/F1/F12 (depending on your motherboard) when your motherboard logo flashes on the screen (you'll also see which key you need to hit then as well). Then you can usually find a tab that will allow you to change you "FSB Frequency". Dropping it lower will underclock your CPU. I suggest going down by multiples of 10, but don't go under two thirds of what you're currently at.

Unfortunately, if you have a pre-built PC (meaning, you got it at a store) your BIOS will usually be locked and you will not be able to adjust your hardware settings (though you can still use Rivatuner to adjust your GPU). Reason, It's an "integrated video chipset", which means it's built straight into your motherboard. There's no way to underclock it either.

But I could be wrong.

But it sounds like you might be making a trip to your local computer repair store.
my motherboard doesnt allow me to over/underclock and the graphics card software allows me to underclock it. the big issue i had was i overclocked and couldnt under clock it but i fixed it by deleting my settings. i still get this problem even if its fully underclocked, its just not as bad as what you see in the picture

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
Do you have the correct refresh rate set?

Have you tried reinstalling the driver for the card?

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
Do you have the correct refresh rate set?

Have you tried reinstalling the driver for the card?
refresh rate is 75, highest my monitor supports, im using a crt so i cant use 60 (gives me migraines)

i have totally uninstalled everything and reinstalled and no luck. if im luck and it get realy bad though, the driver usually crashes and that fixes it for a while so im pretty sure its a driver issue. but if there was a way i could force the driver to sort of restart itsself that would be perfect

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
or if im unlucky, it gets bad, freezes, gives me bsod, several beeps from my motherboard AND several lights on the back of the card -.-
kinda wishing i got an nvidia card right about now :/

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
So, if I read this correctly you overclocked your graphic card that's all ?, what methods did you use to set the overclock rate also which graphics card do you have ?

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Looks like straight up overheating to me. Could be causing RAM corruption or something. Either way, something is physically borked with the card itself.

First, are you sure the fan on the card is operational? Make sure it's blowing sufficient air - sometimes fans fail into a mode where they move, but not fast enough to actually cool anything much. Then I'd personally take the HSF off, clean and visually check the GPU and RAM, and then apply some fresh thermal paste and reseat the HSF.

Could also be a solder joint going bad. People have fixed such problems by putting the card in the oven.

Of course, if it's still under warranty a quick call to the manufacturer should take care of it.

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
So, if I read this correctly you overclocked your graphic card that's all ?, what methods did you use to set the overclock rate also which graphics card do you have ?
its a gigabyte radeon hd 4870 512mb. i overclocked it using amd's catalyst control center. i overclocked both the ram and gpu with the software.

im nearly positive it isnt the card itsself. its not overheating, the temp rarely goe over 55C. fan is set to 45% and is quite loud and blowing quite a bit of air. i dont have any spare thermal paste so im not taking the hsf off. no way im putting it in the oven, that would go against everything ive ever been told about computer components. and its a 2008 card and im not the original owner so no warranty

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I'd be shocked if it wasn't a hardware problem. I've seen this exact type of artifacting and crashing on many cards, and it's always the card itself.

If you're still not convinced, toss in a linux live CD and boot into linux. See if it happens there. $100 says it does.

The temperature sensor on the card only measures the core temperature. It tells you nothing at all about what's going on with the ramdac/tdms or memory chips, or anything else on the card.

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
I'd be shocked if it wasn't a hardware problem. I've seen this exact type of artifacting and crashing on many cards, and it's always the card itself.

If you're still not convinced, toss in a linux live CD and boot into linux. See if it happens there. $100 says it does.

The temperature sensor on the card only measures the core temperature. It tells you nothing at all about what's going on with the ramdac/tdms or memory chips, or anything else on the card.
if it was a hardware problem wouldnt it be constant? this is happening alot lately but its not constant, and once the video card driver crashes, it works perfect for a while but that doesnt happen frequent enough. ill try and find one of my linux cds later today and try it but im pretty sure its not.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
No, it would come and go depending on circumstances.

I see your mobo has integrated graphics. Just remove the card, boot off that, and uninstall all the ATI drivers if you want. Then reinstall the card. If it's software that should take care of it.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I think you have a hardware problem as well, have you posted on overclock.net link below

Forums

O

Oliver11

Audiophyte
Mmmm i am here and just want to say you that i will perfer to the Internal graphic card of your computer becasue this is the best if you have purchase a good motherboard according to this modern age actuall the external graphic cads are mostly pluged n the computer only for play tha games not for watch the video but some peoples are doing this for watching the video anyhow i will prefer to use the genuine internal graphic card of your computer.....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis