Help, please, moved and now I get picture but no sound from Denon receiver to Samsung TV

G

Gemseeker

Enthusiast
I bought a new TV stand with a mount on the back and had to get some friends' help to move all my components. In the process some of my components were unplugged (from each other, not necessarily from their power sources, because the TV kept coming on while were were holding it in midair).

Samsung TV LN40B650T1FUZA Had for about 4 years.
Denon receiver 1713. Had almost a year now.
Panasonic Blu-ray player DMP BD60 Had for about 4 years.
5.1 Energy speakers- CB-20s, -5s, and CC10. Had almost a year now.

Now that I've got everything hooked up the way I think it was before, I have sound but no picture. I've got the HDMI from my receiver in the TV's port #2, where it was before, but my TV says "source not connected" when I look through its menu to switch between input sources. I clicked on every HDMI source plus the extra one, 'Anynet'. According to my TV, nothing is connected.

Two of the HDMI cables were loose, but that was easily fixed. Still "not connected".

I tried unplugging/replugging all 3 components' power sources and then powering up in this order: receiver, blu-ray, then TV (which came on all by itself probably due to the Panasonic's Anynet+). Also, tried TV, then receiver, then blu-ray.

I seem to recall having this issue way back when I first got the Denon receiver, but I don't have anything written down (I usually keep a written record of any problems in my manuals, which I keep right in my TV cabinet) and the fact that I don't have anything written means it might have fixed itself somehow.

I did just do a recent Denon receiver software upgrade about 2 weeks ago. No problems at the time. I haven't done one on either of the other two components for years.

Anyone else have this issue, or can tell me what steps to take next? Please keep it simple, as I am still new at this. Never owned a sound system before, but I love it and love sharing it with my friends.

Here's a separate issue, since I'm here-when I hook up to my PC and do streaming video I get this annoying brrrrt! noise every once in a while, like feedback or something. I haven't tried it with PC music, but it doesn't do this with my blu-ray player. It's embarrassing when I have guests over to watch Hulu and it's going Brrrt! every once in a while.

May or may not be connected: My HP PC is about 4 years old and has been having random freezing issues lately where I have to do a hard shut down (cut the power) since the mouse and keyboard both go unresponsive. It does have 8GB RAM and a 1TB hard drive and a dedicated Nvidia card so it's not that it can't handle all the video processing. It did this a few times last year and then stopped. Then began again about a month ago. ???

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Welcome back! Seems like an HDMI issue. Can you see the Denon menu on the TV? I'd call Denon and tell them. I'm sure they will guide you to a walk through to check everything. You might want to buy a $7 laptop fan to keep the receiver cool as well. With air circulating out. Good luck

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
Seems to be a problem between receiver and tv.

There are different things you can try.

Move the cable to a different hdmi port on tv.
Double check receiver to ensure you are connected to an hdmi output and not an input. If you have more than one hdmi-out on the receiver, move to a different one.

From there, swap hdmi cables. It could have been damaged.

Try hooking up another source, such as the blu ray player to the tv. This will help rule out the tv if you get a connection.

Sent from my Vox using Tapatalk 2

G

Gemseeker

Enthusiast
Thanks, Nestor! I had the Samsung in the first HDMI port, which was the only one I wasn't sure of. Turned out it was HDMI IN, not OUT. My fault for reading it bent over upside down-the IN and OUT labels are at the very top where I couldn't see. Gah, I figured it would be something simple. Thanks again so much!

Now I can finally go rent Iron Man 3 and Croods...

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
Thanks, Nestor! I had the Samsung in the first HDMI port, which was the only one I wasn't sure of. Turned out it was HDMI IN, not OUT. My fault for reading it bent over upside down-the IN and OUT labels are at the very top where I couldn't see. Gah, I figured it would be something simple. Thanks again so much!

Now I can finally go rent Iron Man 3 and Croods...

You're welcome. It's an easy mistake to make. DAMHIK. ;)

Sent from my Vox using Tapatalk 2

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis