Help! Pink noise/static in one channel

B

bmac

Audioholic
I just finished setting up my new theater room. I noticed static in my right rear channel.i swapped wires and switched channels, and nothing will move the static, it stays in the same channel. I went out and purchased a new pre/pro, and it's still there! It's making the sound no matter what the source. The sound is only at certain frequencies, but that frequency is consistent. Any ideas would be great.

Gear:
Onkyo PRSC-886
Emotiva UMC-200
Cinenova Grande Cinema 7
Paradigm studio 20's
Epik Empire
Outlaw LFM-1

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Your post is not clear. When you changed over the speakers, did the static move with the speaker, or stay with the amp channel.

Do you hear this static when noting is playing and if your prepro is disconnected form the Cinenova Grande 7?

B

bmac

Audioholic
The static did not move. It stays in the same channel(right rear). I put a brand new speaker in it's place before I purchased the pre/pro.

The static is only present with certain sounds. Tron legacy is a nightmare, but The Avengers isn't bad.

Last edited:
B

bmac

Audioholic
It's not just pink noise, more like the sound has distortion.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The static did not move. It stays in the same channel(right rear). I put a brand new speaker in it's place before I purchased the pre/pro.

The static is only present with certain sounds. Tron legacy is a nightmare, but The Avengers isn't bad.
I take this to mean that the sound did not move and stayed with the speaker. In that case your problem is s blown speaker. The speaker most likely has gap rub and needs reconing. It could have cone voice coil separation also, however, what ever the cause, the answer is always reconing or new drivers.

Tron Legacy really stresses all speakers. I have played quite a number of BD in the last year or two, where there is often a lot of power to all speakers and enough to blow small surrounds.

I suspect surround speakers are going to have to be larger and more robust over time.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Hey TLC Guy, the OP noted "I put a brand new speaker in it's place"

OP what source are you using, does it matter if it's radio, CD / Blue Ray etc....

Last edited by a moderator:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

He needs to swap the rear leads at his amp and see if it moves with the speaker or amp channel. This sure sounds like a speaker problem to me.

If he swaps the connections at the amp and it stays with the speaker it is still the speaker whether he changed it or not. If it moves to the other side, and then he has a bad amp channel.

B

bmac

Audioholic
No it doesn't matter what the source is. Last night I ran the EMO-Q and had the same effect.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
He needs to swap the rear leads at his amp and see if it moves with the speaker or amp channel. This sure sounds like a speaker problem to me.

If he swaps the connections at the amp and it stays with the speaker it is still the speaker whether he changed it or not. If it moves to the other side, and then he has a bad amp channel.
Agree since he swapped sources and speakers it leaves nothing but the amp-channel itself on his Onkyo or the UMC

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bmac

Audioholic
I bought a new UMC-200 just to solve the problem and it didn't work.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

You can resolve this issue quickly. Change the rear speaker connections from left to right at the Onkyo, or Cinepro, whatever you are using to power the speakers. If the fault stays at the speaker, then that has to be the source of the problem. If it moves to the other side then your electronics are at fault.

If you are just using the Onkyo, then that is at fault. If you are using the Cinepro, then swap the connections to the Cinepro. If it stays with the speaker, then the Cinepro is the problem, if it moves then the Emo or the Onkyo or what ever you are using as the preamp is at fault.

You have a lot of equipment mentioned and your posts are vague and lack precision and clarity. Isolating this fault to the offending piece of equipment is simple applied logic on the basis of a simple experimental plan.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I bought a new UMC-200 just to solve the problem and it didn't work.
It did not work because you have not gone about solving this simple problem in a logical didactic manner. See my above post. Please follow my instructions to the letter and report back.

B

bmac

Audioholic
You can resolve this issue quickly. Change the rear speaker connections from left to right at the Onkyo, or Cinepro, whatever you are using to power the speakers. If the fault stays at the speaker, then that has to be the source of the problem. If it moves to the other side then your electronics are at fault.

If you are just using the Onkyo, then that is at fault. If you are using the Cinepro, then swap the connections to the Cinepro. If it stays with the speaker, then the Cinepro is the problem, if it moves then the Emo or the Onkyo or what ever you are using as the preamp is at fault.

You have a lot of equipment mentioned and your posts are vague and lack precision and clarity. Isolating this fault to the offending piece of equipment is simple applied logic on the basis of a simple experimental plan.

Everything you mention above, I tried before purchasing a new pre/pro. I'm sorry if you feel I'm wasting your time.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis