Help needed to select new TV

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
This is continuation of this thread:
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/televisions-displays/78651-looks-like-my-tv-broke.html

As I mentioned these are some of my choices (I'm not limited to them) - These seem like good deals to me

TC-P60S30 - $1,239.00
TC-P55ST30 -$1100
TC-P50S30 - $900

I'd like to hear opinions and especially from BMX on why he picked new Samsung 7000 Plasma over these models (is it just the smart part or noticeable improvements in PQ ? )

Also - my current distance from TV is 9ft - I assume 60" is the way to go?

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
My general rule of thumb for 1080p home theater is a seating distance between 1' to 1.2' for every 10" of diagonal screen size. So for a 60" screen you'd sit about 6' to 7.2' away. :)

Anyway, have you checked the service manuals for the models you are looking at? Looking at the service manuals should give you some idea as to how well you can calibrate the display. If you can't find the service manuals, then you might be able to find the key code to enter the service menu and sample calibration results from someone's forum post. I was able to get my TC-P50S1 dialed in pretty well so hopefully the newer models are just as capable.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Thx, I don't aim to get perfect ISF calibration, but something manageable
More importantly is reliability of TV - I'd like my next to survive more than 5 years if possible

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Last year, when I bought my Panasonic, I looked at both the S and the G series; this years ST and GT. The picture and calibration options on the G series were much better than the S series. I use the AVS calibrated THX setting most of the time. Unless the ST has THX certification this year it would lack this option.

That being said; I think this year's Samsung models have significanty closed the gap.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The Samsung 8000 is typically compared to the VT series from Panasonic, and while the VT series from Panny has better blacks, it does not have better color. The 7000 series from Samsung, from what I've read, has the same glass and video processing in it, but doesn't have as many 'Smart' features and doesn't have the anit-glare coating, which some people claimed would separate from the glass.

Most reviewers have said that the 7000/8000 series from Samsung is second only to the VT Panasonic series, which means that for similar, or less money than the Panasonic GT series, you get higher overall image quality.

That said, I think Panasonic builds a more robust panel which is less likely to have long term issues. But, the Samsung provides a solid product I believe in their upper end models (6000+ series). Unfortunately, it seems like these series are a fair bit pricier than what you are looking at, and at that price, I think Panasonic build quality is well worth it.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
You guys are right (as always)
S series seem to be just OK on PQ and .
ST however is pretty decent as well as 6500 plasmas
7000 is even a bit better, but the difference is small.

Panasonic TC-P50S30 Best Prices, Specifications, Calibration and Picture Settings
Panasonic TC-P50ST30 3D TV Specifications, Pricing, Picture Settings
Samsung PN51D6500 Prices, Calibration and Picture Settings
Samsung PN51D7000 Prices, Calibrated Picture Settings, Specifications PN59D7000 PN64D7000

I also like the fact 6500 settings needed to be turned down few notches to reach good calibration, unlike ST30 which needed big boosts - which could lead to decreased phosphors half-life time

That said TC-P60ST30 could be found quite often for under $1300 and PN59D6500 is currently about $1500, but once in a while on sale for $1300

Well, I set alerts for now and lets wait for some cool deals

p.s: Mods, please move it to TVs section - It should be there :eek:

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
If you're going to watch in the dark, I'd go for deeper blacks (assuming it comes with a corresponding high native contrast). Most people can't tell when the color is somewhat inaccurate anyway, but it'll annoy you if there are dark scenes in a movie and you can't see as much of what's going on.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
If you're going to watch in the dark, I'd go for deeper blacks (assuming it comes with a corresponding high native contrast). Most people can't tell when the color is somewhat inaccurate anyway, but it'll annoy you if there are dark scenes in a movie and you can't see as much of what's going on.
I rarely watch in darkness - its' in the living room w/ large east forwarding windows. I could close blinds for critical viewing, but I mostly don't.
At night where will be some ambient light, not too strong, but almost never fully dark...

Judging from my old TV - see sig - dark scenes were be an mild issue, but not a huge one for me

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
So far it I narrowed it down to ST series fro Panasonic. Samsung 6500 May offer more accurate color, but they have some issues with QC - I'd rather go with more reliable product like Panasonic.

Last year models: 55ST30 - Prior is on heavy sale on Tigerdirect under $1000 - apparently no one (onecall and Abe of Maine) could or would match this price.
Abe apparently got into same game as best buy - strong push of extended warranties - this practice makes me sick, and OneCall nicely told me what $1000 is below the price they paid for it :eek:

I really don't want to deal with TD - they bunch of crooks

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
60ST30 on the other hard is right around 1500-1600 - which is a bit high. According to decide - it's frequently on sale and I rather pay $1300 for 60" than $1100 for a 55"

New 2012 model 55ST50 is selling now, but the price is retail or almost retail at lowest price - abt - at a bit more than $1500 -

My expectation is within a week or two we should see significant sales of 2011 models. I'll have to patiently wait out for my chance - but It will be tough without a large screen tv :(

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Just got it !! WOW - It's freaken Awesome !!! Ofcourse as a geek first thing after initial setup - running f/w updates right now :D

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
just got it ! and it's a great deal too
See details here:
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/868682-post14.html
I'd like to expand this on the rough ride in the journey of getting the new tv:
So I place the order with Electronic Expo
About a week later I get email from Manna - Freight delivery company - my TV is ready to get delivered and I need to schedule the date - so I do
Day before the delivery I get a call about the delivery would have to be postponed - it turns out someone else get Panasonic TC-P55VT30, while I got almost same TV, but with one letter difference - ST instead VT :)
The shipper crisscross the orders and stopped it before the actually deliveries happen

to be continued

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
So I wait a few more days and make another schedule - which they miss again since I get to discover that Manna does actually make the delivery, but hires a sub-contractor to do this...

Enraged on this - keep in mind - they don't delivery outside of biz - hours - one MUST take a day off or pay extra for sat or late delivery...

I contact the store and get my shipping cost $127 refunded - at this point I paid for the TV only $980 !!! and schedule (their expense) a late fri delivery

So I get home earlier - the tv delivered - I'm super exited open the box only to find out a spider pattern of cracks on the glass panel :((((

So Monday comes - I contact the store and send them images of the cracks - same for Manna and Thursday comes I get to schedule a re-delivery,but only on next week (aka this one)

This time - no matter what - I will open the box and force cooperation from delivery guys to install the tv... which he does with my help. I don't f-n sign anything until i see the image..

End Result - Stunning !!! Finally after all these delays, disappointments and hassle I get my own huge 1080 screen !! I couldn't be happier - that means until I move next time to bigger screen :D;)

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Just saw this thread for first time. Congrats on finally getting things sorted out. Nice TV, nice wall!

You need to pull out the center channel so that there is no glass in front of it :cool:. And, for the love of AV, get some cable management going.

PS. My 1030A went out for a warranty claim in last week of January and I am still waiting for a replacement set. F'n pissed off right now.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Looking at your desk, I know you will come through on that promise.

?? :confused: ?? There is not glass in front of it, only covering 2/3 of it from above....
The curved white surface is not glass? This is what I was referring to. The front of the center should be flush with with the curve. Otherwise, the bounce off the surface in front of the center will create comb filtering effect for center. You will need to rerun Audessy. You might find that the center sounds even better :).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis