HELP needed please - choosing a receiver

U

uncle_sam

Audiophyte
Hi there.

I need help with choosing a receiver and I appreciate all your help in advance.

I have done a lot of research and got even more confused with all the information out there. Here is my problem.

I am looking to buy my first proper audio system and have a budget of about $2,000. This should cover the receiver and the speakers (and I need help on both).

I am NOT going to use them for surround sound and movie watching. I pretty much intend to use it to play music from my computer, mp3 player or other portable media devices (such as the WD media player for example), although it would be good to have the option of adding the surround system later on.

- First, which a/v receiver has the best stereo output?
- Should I even bother with an a/v receiver when I intend to use only 2 channels. Any recommendations on a 2-channel receiver?
- I do use equlizers on all my media players and would like to have this option with my receiver/system. Are there any 2 channel receivers with equalizers or should I be looking to buy a separate equalizer?
- As for speakers, I enjoy the full range of sounds and I do want clear, detailed sound and a deep but clear bass. Generally, I do not like the sound of subwoofers so I do want to avoid that.

Any ideas?

Thanks again very much for any help.

Knucklehead90

Knucklehead90

Audioholic
If you don't intend to use more than 2 channels a good stereo receiver would do fine. The Harman Kardon 3490 is an excellent stereo receiver with 120wpc into 8ohms and 150wpc into 4ohm speakers. It also accepts optical/coax spdif input from computers and other sources. AFAIK it's the only 2 channel receiver that can do this.

If you don't mind buying refurbished you can buy directly from Harmon on their ebay store. I bought a 3390 from their ebay store that was supposedly refurbished - I doubt they go to the trouble of putting protective plastic on the receiver face and remote. Both were new - HK labels them 'refurbished' to keep peace with their retail partners.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
- As for speakers, I enjoy the full range of sounds and I do want clear, detailed sound and a deep but clear bass. Generally, I do not like the sound of subwoofers so I do want to avoid that.

Any ideas?

Thanks again very much for any help.
You must not have heard a properly setup subwoofer. With your budget Id look into speakers like these and an intergrated amp that has the inputs you need.

Chatta

Chatta

Junior Audioholic
I do agree with knucklehead, the harman/kardon is a great brand..possibly the best ones on 2 channel stereo. The HK 3480 has a high performance and the sound is perfect for any 2 channel stereo lover.

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
In your budget, my vote would be for an outboard DAC and good 2-channel integrated amp. I don't think you can find a high quality 2-channel receiver. There isn't a market for them anymore.

K

Kaz-maN

Junior Audioholic
I don't have any recommendations that would fit your price range interms of 2ch. amps, but I do for speakers. Paradigm makes a pretty good floor standing speaker in they're monitor series called the monitor 9 ($999)http://paradigm.com/en/paradigm/fronts-monitor-monitor9-model-2-4-1-18.paradigm. It is very good sound for the money and has pretty good base.

If your budget for everything was $3k I would have an intergrated 2ch amp recommendation for ya. No pressure though, and I respect your decisions for your budget.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis