Help needed in choosing entry level AVR

D

dayalan86

Audiophyte
Currently I am using a Pioneer all in one mini system, which is equipped with 2 100 watts front speaker with a rated impedance of 12 ohms each and 2 60 watts rear speakers with a rated impedance of 8ohms each and also a 80 watts center speaker with a rated impedance of 8ohms and one super woofer (supposedly for extra bass, but its very directional unlike a sub-woofer).

My problem now is that, my Pioneer mini system's amp has gone dead, as such, I just want to get an entry level amplifier so that I can still utilise all of the Pioneer speakers, since they are still in working order.

I am currently looking at these models,
1)Yamaha RX-V457
2)Denon AVR-1604
3)Yamaha RX-V640
4)Marantz SR-5300

However, I am worried that the specs on amps state a minimum of 8ohms for each channel, whereas my front speakers have an impedance of 12ohms, as such, can these amps drive my speakers with no or little problems? Can the gurus here help me decide, which of the 4 mentioned amps are the best, I am leaning more towards Yamaha, because of bass reproduction and at the same time don't want to go back the Pioneer way, had so much trouble with my current system and its just about 3 years old.
Please help, thx

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
As you stated, these entry level receivers have a minimum impedence of 8 ohms. Thus, they will have no problem driving the higher 12 ohm impedence of your front speakers. When you get into higher end, high SPL (loud) speakers, lower 4-6 ohm impedence are common.
The entry level models from Yamaha, Denon, etc. should be more than adequate for your current speakers. Pick a current model so that all the sound formats are supported. Also, when shopping for Yamaha, models in the HTR line are identical to the RX-V models, so check both for the best price.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
I noticed you had the Marantz 5300 on your list, can u get that used for a good price? For $450 You can get a 5500 or for $350 you can get a Marantz 4500, both are refurbs that come with a manf. warranty

D

dayalan86

Audiophyte
I live in Malaysia, and I can get a new Marantz SR5300 for RM699, which is about USD185.41

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis