help needed choosing PC speakers!

R

RöyksoppForever

Enthusiast
Hey,

So first of all, I'm not an audiophile at all, I'm just looking to invest in a good set of speakers for my PC for a better listening experience so here seeking some advice.

So I'm wanting a set purely on the basis of listening to music at home (I'm not an audio engineer or anything like that and I won't be using them for big stomping house parties), just after something that produces a clear, good sound and I quite like speakers with a punchy bass. Before someone suggests going down the headphone route, I'm using CAL2's which are good enough for me and so I'm just looking to improve my actual PC speakers.

I'm not listening to any dubstep or DnB or anything like that, I listen to a lot of general pop stuff, electronic etc

My ideal budget is probably in the region of £200-£300 (~$300-$450)

So if anyone can help me out in throwing some recommendations that would be great!

So far, I've stumbled across a couple of options:

The Audioengine A5+'s ...would these be a good set of speakers to buy without adding on a subwoofer? I can't say I'm thrilled about spending another £200+ on a subwoofer at the moment (I guess in future though I could and the option is always there). I'm in a fairly small room though so I'm just not sure whether these speakers would be overkill for a pretty small room.

Bose Companion 20s ....these also don't have a subwoofer although are meant to have plenty of bass anyway ....anyway I'm just not sure whether these would be a good addition, I'm always reading people slate bose products on forums and I read somewhere the bass on these can be a little "over egged". One big advantage they seem to have over the Audioengine A5+s is taking up much less desktop space

Audioengine A2+'s ...I did also look into these and whilst they seemed to review well, the general impression I got was most people preferred the A5+'s. They are smaller than the A5+s though.

Logitech Z623 ....not done a whole load of research into these but they came up as an option

Roth Oli Powa5 monitor speakers ....these seemed to review well but not sure how punchy the bass is

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions on which route I'd best be going down I'd appreciate it

Cheers,

Mikey

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Of the ones you’ve listed, I’d go with the Audio Engine 5. Don’t expect decent bass from any desktop speaker with a 5” woofer, so plan on adding a sub.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

R

RöyksoppForever

Enthusiast
Of the ones you’ve listed, I’d go with the Audio Engine 5. Don’t expect decent bass from any desktop speaker with a 5” woofer, so plan on adding a sub.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

You still think the Audio Engine A5+'s are the way to go, even without adding on a subwoofer?

Cheers

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
That's the speaker I chose for my apartment system. A bit expensive, but very nice sound and build quality. Easy on the ears. They play a lot louder than one would expect for such a diminutive speaker. Bass is also better than I expected down to 50Hz, with still some clean-sounding bass available at 40Hz, but you're correct, if you want strong 30Hz + below bass a sub is called for. I paired mine with the Boom software on my iMac to smooth out the upper bass, as measured and tuned using my OmniMic. Once equalized for near-wall placement on a large desktop the sound is quite high-end.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Price difference on Behringers is £3.. Not so much in my opinion! :D Really nice speaker how ever, competes in sound with £1200 Genelecs as it basicly is Genelec clone.

R

RöyksoppForever

Enthusiast
Thanks for all the input everyone, appreciate it!

Some great suggestions thrown out there!

In the end I went for the Audioengine A5+s - the low's are meant to be good even without using a sub and the white version of the speakers seem to be going for a special price right now on Amazon.co.uk - only 1 left in stock actually (there was 6 two days ago) - so a heads up to anyone who might be looking for a set

Cheers!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Price difference on Behringers is £3.. Not so much in my opinion! :D Really nice speaker how ever, competes in sound with £1200 Genelecs as it basicly is Genelec clone.
oops, I didn't do UK pounds vs Euro conversion :)

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for all the input everyone, appreciate it!

Some great suggestions thrown out there!

In the end I went for the Audioengine A5+s - the low's are meant to be good even without using a sub and the white version of the speakers seem to be going for a special price right now on Amazon.co.uk - only 1 left in stock actually (there was 6 two days ago) - so a heads up to anyone who might be looking for a set

Cheers!
I have the white version too. They go perfectly with an iMac on a maple desk. Don't forget to get some equalization software. Even if you don't have measuring equipment you can use free test tones from the internet to smooth out the response. No speaker likes being on a desk, or likes being close to a back wall.

Last edited:
R

RöyksoppForever

Enthusiast
I have the white version too. They go perfectly with an iMac on a maple desk. Don't forget to get some equalization software. Even if you don't have measuring equipment you can use free test tones from the internet to smooth out the response. No speaker likes being on a desk, and like being close to a back wall.
Nice one cheers!

Did you ever try them tilted on the DS2 stands Audioengine made for them? If so, any feedback?

Any recommendations for some good (yet simple to use) equalization software for Windows?

Cheers

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Nice one cheers!

Did you ever try them tilted on the DS2 stands Audioengine made for them? If so, any feedback?

Any recommendations for some good (yet simple to use) equalization software for Windows?

Cheers
I don't use the stands for the AE5+. I've heard Profound Sound CSharp is a good equalizer for Windows.

R

RöyksoppForever

Enthusiast
Awesome cheers,

Can't wait to finally test these bad boys out!

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I don't use the stands for the AE5+.
To further explain, I don't need the stands because I use a very high desk, so the tweeters are nearly at ear level. If your speakers sit substantially lower than ear level you might consider the angled stands.

R

RöyksoppForever

Enthusiast
Ok Nice one

An additional question: you bothered to add a DAC or a SUB to them or you happy enough with the sound they produce themselves?

Right now I won't bother adding either of those (not till I got more cash saved up at least) but good to have the future proofing option anyway

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
No DAC or sub. The 5s alone plugged into the iMac are good enough for my 700 soft outpost, as we call my Bay Area apartment.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis