Help My Girlfriend!!

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
I've been dating a real special woman for the past few months. Her life is really hectic now.......her 80 year old mom has dementia and takes up all of my gal's free time............so Edie asked me to look into her tv cable options.

She has Earthlink DSL internet and would like to keep it. ATT informs her that she cannot get their television service (uverse) and keep her earthlink. Earthlinks India tech seemed to agree. So, if she wants the ATT cable service, she will have to switch internet...........and that whole ball of wax.
I think she should just go with comcast tv. Or sattelite. I don't think her crt is hd, so she isn't that concerned with that. She doesn't watch all that much television............I have dealt with the att beauracracy and it was terrible...............
Do any of you have knowledge of this..........or thoughts on this situation? I don't want to see her get bogged down in the whole technical nightmare install scenario. I have googled all over on this and not gotten a good answer. She lives in Bloomingdale, IL. She is dreamy. D2T

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Get satellite - DishNetwork or DirecTV

I've been dating a real special woman for the past few months. Her life is really hectic now.......her 80 year old mom has dementia and takes up all of my gal's free time............so Edie asked me to look into her tv cable options.

She has Earthlink DSL internet and would like to keep it. ATT informs her that she cannot get their television service (uverse) and keep her earthlink. Earthlinks India tech seemed to agree. So, if she wants the ATT cable service, she will have to switch internet...........and that whole ball of wax.
I think she should just go with comcast tv. Or sattelite. I don't think her crt is hd, so she isn't that concerned with that. She doesn't watch all that much television............I have dealt with the att beauracracy and it was terrible...............
Do any of you have knowledge of this..........or thoughts on this situation? I don't want to see her get bogged down in the whole technical nightmare install scenario. I have googled all over on this and not gotten a good answer. She lives in Bloomingdale, IL. She is dreamy. D2T
I would get satellite and keep the EarhtLink DSL. Either DishNetwork or DirecTV. I would not get Comcast. Satellite looks good on standard TVs and if she ever upgrades to HD it will look even better.

Good luck -- with getting her TV setup and with your relationship with "dreamy" ;)

MidCow2

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I don't think there is any confusion here...

You have a few basic choices to pick from, so you just gotta figure out what it is that she wants within those very specific limitations.

There's no reason not to switch from DSL service if you are prepared to deal with the headaches of that change. But, it sounds like that is not something which anyone is prepared to deal with.

So, pick one of the other options for TV. Between Dish, DirecTV, and cable you should have almost no issues at all.

T

tonedeaf

Audioholic
I just cancelled my order for att u-verse tv.Complex installation issues.Like your girl I want to keep my current net the way it is.I'll be looking at direct tv.good luck

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
Hey. I walked her through this with some logic. She doesn't want an "ugly" dish on her house. Looks like that leaves comcast. Thanks for the replies. On an aside, she mentioned that 3people on her block have had horror stories with getting uverse installed.
When I turned off my home phone land line and switched my home phone number to my cell phone, and went to a dry loop dsl line........it was a nightmare dealing with att's two divisions- internet and telephones. It was like the head couldn't tell one arm to do something that involved using the other arm. It was brutal.....I had two calls over two hours with att. More than ten hours of call time over all to install a dry loop and switch my cell number over...
Thanks again.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

The TV can be connected to a cable box or satellite receiver's composite video output, which looks far better than using the RF modulated feed so basically, what provider she has is basically immaterial. I have AT&T with DirecTV and I really haven't had many problems dealing with AT&T. It's just a matter of being firm with them and standing your ground. AT&T looks like they have some good features, but I have no experience with U-Verse. The video quality of DirecTV has been excellent and has gotten better in the time I have had it. I have only had a few times where I lost the signal and it was either a bar thunder storm or a blizzard. I recently did an install in Chicago and wasn't impressed by the video quality of Comcast.

If a HD receiver is used, the HD channels are viewable using the composite output and the quality is excellent. The consistency between channels is much better than Time Warner cable or Comcast. Options exist for her.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Just a comment on the satellite dishes - it's entirely possible that she wouldn't have to put it on her house. She might be able to put it at ground level in her yard (like I did in my side yard). You can also buy decorative fake rock covers that go over the top (or, build your own, and use that textured rock spray paint).

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
.... I have AT&T with DirecTV and I really haven't had many problems dealing with AT&T. It's just a matter of being firm with them and standing your ground. ....
Not many problems? Then, just enough;):D
And, the hassle of standing your ground can be a turn off for many. On the other hand, others may enjoy that :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis