Help mounting the hd20 !!!!

S

scottyg

Junior Audioholic
I am a newbie to projectors and purchased and optoma hd20 with a throw ratio of 1.5-1.81. My screen is 92 inches diagonal and sits 144 12ft inches away from the screen (projector distance). My celing height is 101 inches and my screen is mounted exactly 17 inches from the celing. I believe the vertical offset to be 7.2 inches. Does this mean to mount the projector exactly 12 ft away? Can I bring my image down since some is on the celing with a flush mount? What is vertical offset?

FRAZZELED!!!

Scott

C

chadburger

Banned
You bought a good entry level projector but being a new guy to it you got a terrible unit to place as it has no lense shift, vertical and horizontal shift allows you to place unit then simply manual shift it left, right, up down or on more expensive units you can do this via remote............nice.
I have a Sony VPL100 that has remote powered vertical shift but no horizontal and it was a pain to setup...........I cant imagine doing it with no shift at all but DLP units many times dont offe any shift at any cost so your not in an impossible situation.......just a PITA one.
You can place your unit from around 9.6 feet to around 12.6 ft so you may or may not need to move unit. Only thing I can suggest is find a way to place projector in area you intend to mount (on top of ladder or someting) be very VERY careful and have somebody hold it then see how it lines up with screen.
The offset is how the lense throws image downwards, or upwards if you shelf mount and flip unit over. Your unit needs to be placed at just about 5to 7in *if I had to guess) above screens top surface from its center point to get it right, but playing with it first will let you know exactly where you need to be.
I have owned 3 units all with some shift, one full manual, one full power and this one I have now thats powered but only vertical............you will be fine its just gonna take some tweaks.

Last edited:
J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I am a newbie to projectors and purchased and optoma hd20 with a throw ratio of 1.5-1.81. My screen is 92 inches diagonal and sits 144 12ft inches away from the screen (projector distance). My celing height is 101 inches and my screen is mounted exactly 17 inches from the celing. I believe the vertical offset to be 7.2 inches. Does this mean to mount the projector exactly 12 ft away? Can I bring my image down since some is on the celing with a flush mount? What is vertical offset?

FRAZZELED!!!

Scott
Use this calculator, with three slide rules. The first slide rule (on left, vertical) shows 12' as the MAX distance to 92" screen, and 10' as the MINIMUM. However, I have found that these calculators are conservative in general, just to make sure they don't screw someone up, and perhaps also because PJs normally don't perform optimally with any adjustment all the way towards one end or the other.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-HD20-projection-calculator-pro.htm

As for the ceiling mount, IF NEED BE, I might consider getting a pipe for it. They're not expensive, and if you need to pinch pennies, you can have Home Depot cut you a piece of threaded pipe to desired length.

Wow, ok, so there is NO LENSE SHIFT AT ALL. I'm not sure what people do in this case. I think you just might have to re-mount the screen, making the vertical adjustment. When you get the PJ at about 11' away from screen, fire the pic so the sides are perfect with the screen, and see how high the image goes. Mark that spot, and then you know your target height for when you remount. If it's off just a teeny weeny bit after remounting, you can overscan the pic just barely so that it hits the masking area. Dunno. That's my first thought at a solution . . . Good luck!

Serj22

Serj22

Full Audioholic
MY optoma DLP has a lens shift, you go into the menu, then zoom in and out, or shift horizontal or vertical - you have to really dig through the menu top find it though, but if not, it's fairly easy with a piece of wood and help, have it sit on a pice of wood upside down, then have a friend hold it above their head and walk around, that will give you the basic area, then measure from there. The focus leaves much to be desired as it has to be done by hand, but it works. I have mine 14 Feet back and it projects about 7 feet, and I have it zoomed down to a 6.4ft wide screen.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
MY optoma Hd20 has a lens shift, you go into the menu, then zoom in and out, or shift horizontal or vertical. The focus leaves much to be desired as it has to be done by hand, but it works. I have mine 14 Feet back and it projects about 7 feet, and I have it zoomed down to a 6.4ft wide screen.
Well, there you go! heh

C

chadburger

Banned
One more thing I am sure the manual will tell you aswell is make sure the lense is in center of screen.......its offset to side so dont simply mount unit in center......go by the lense.

C

chadburger

Banned
MY optoma DLP has a lens shift, you go into the menu, then zoom in and out, or shift horizontal or vertical - you have to really dig through the menu top find it though, but if not, it's fairly easy with a piece of wood and help, have it sit on a pice of wood upside down, then have a friend hold it above their head and walk around, that will give you the basic area, then measure from there. The focus leaves much to be desired as it has to be done by hand, but it works. I have mine 14 Feet back and it projects about 7 feet, and I have it zoomed down to a 6.4ft wide screen.
Hmmm........review said no lense shift. Are you talking about the same model??????

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Geez, I just wrote a page on how to setup a projector and it didn't post... Don't you hate when that happens?

http://www.projectorcentral.com/pdf/projector_manual_5039.pdf

This projector has no lens shift and the poster that said that it did is likely referring to page 28 of the manual which lists some digital masking and shifting features which is not at all what lens shift is. Lens shift is the physical shifting of the lens itself to move the image up and down on the wall itself so it hits the screen properly.

Digital correction is the process by which pixels are turned off, and actual resolution is dropped, and processing is added which hurts image quality, but allows for some change when a projector is not positioned where it should be.

The OP has some idea of the right way of doing things, but sounds like he must have made a few significant errors.

1. You've gone to projector central, as listed above, and you have a throw distance of 10' to 12' with an offset of 7.2".

2. This means the LENS TO SCREEN distance must be between 10' and 12' - that's the front of the lens to the screen, not from the projector case to the screen. Doesn't matter in that 2' range where the lens is, just make sure it is in that distance.

3. If the top of your screen is 17" away from ceiling (AFC) then the CENTER of the projector lens must be 7.2" above that, or 9.8" AFC.

4. The projector mount you use should allow the projector to be properly lowered so that it is 9.8" AFC. Using a mount like this one allows the use of standard 1.5" pipe, available from Home Depot or Lowes (pluming section)...
http://www.mountdirect.com/Projector_Ceiling_Mount_NPL_Series_p/npl.htm
Under $50!

5. There is no reason the projector would ever project onto the ceiling if you have it mounted near the ceiling unless you have it on a shelf instead of UPSIDE DOWN ON A MOUNT. I say that loudly, because if you say it's on the ceiling, then I say you have your projector right side up instead of upside down. That, or you are pointing it upward.

Follow up with us, let us know, but it sounds like you have it on a shelf or something at the back of the room, and you need to flip that projector over, using a mount like the one I linked to, and get it in the correct position.

Make sure the LENS is on the center of the screen when mounting. This will mean shifting the projector a bit to the left to make the lens on center (when upside down).

If you are off by an inch or so it won't matter. Typical overscan is 3% to 5%, 1" off at 144" throw distance is well under 1%, so the amount you are off will fall into the black area of your projection frame. This is why you always want a good black border around a screen.

Follow up if you have any questions! (copy entire thing, then press 'POST')

C

chadburger

Banned
If your very new to this I will say once you flip the unit over so it throws the proper way go into menu and flip the image, projectors have legs but are upside down when mounted up high on ceiling so dont freak out when image is upside down................thats a simple press of button to fix.

Serj22

Serj22

Full Audioholic
I'm pretty sure the projector is the same, it has a digital correction, but it does not use a motorized shifter in the projector like our high end JVC DILA in the other room, and I believe you are not allowed to actually physically shift the lens at all on the Optoma. In the menu though, it will allow for minor corrections, but not much, and there will be a mounting option that shows a "P" in a box, and you pick the one that's right side up when you mount the projector upside down and it will flip the screen over for you.

Let me rephrase by saying it is an "Image shift" as it states in the menu, not a lens one. You have a "Horizontal Image Shift" and a "Vertical Image Shift."

C

chadburger

Banned
That image shift only moves it maybe half an inch tops and may not be that much, it may not be best for overall image so best bet is to get it right on mount and your done.

Serj22

Serj22

Full Audioholic
That image shift only moves it maybe half an inch tops and may not be that much, it may not be best for overall image so best bet is to get it right on mount and your done.
No, it actually moves it around 6 inches in each direction, unless this is a different projector, but each one I've had moves about 6 inches or so.

C

chadburger

Banned
No, it actually moves it around 6 inches in each direction, unless this is a different projector, but each one I've had moves about 6 inches or so.
The HD20 does NOT do that, every model is different, the Optima is a budget unit so some features have been ditched for price.

S

scottyg

Junior Audioholic
thanks to everyone I am going to start the mounting process tommorow morning. I appreciate all the feedback!! If its a bastard I am going to return it and grab the epson 8100

KASR

KASR

Full Audioholic
I must have lucked out - but I think alot of the throw/projection issues were addressed with a universal mount that allowed for tilt/swivel and adjustable height. I got the Level Mount ELMP-01 and it works like a charm! I was able to center the image and then use the projectors zoom and (albeit limited vertical/horizontal shift) to correct any small changes. Here's a picture of the projector mounted on a 8ft ceiling:

Follow all the other suggestions here for correct throwing distance, etc., but don't return the HD20 just yet. It's a great little projector and it'll do everything you want it to. Good luck!

S

scottyg

Junior Audioholic
thanks to everyone I finally have it mounted after some long delays......it was worth the hassle. I will never buy another tv

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis