Help me spend $1,000+

P

philh

Full Audioholic
Time for a new receiver... the old (really old) Sony just isn't cutting it anymore.

Sony Beta 50 (5 speakers), with home made sub.

Acoustically challenged room. Fronts are too close together, cathedral ceiling, center mounted way too high, rears are poorly positioned right above my head. Sweet spot in the room is about 7' in front of the big fluffy chair.

WAF $1,000, above 1,000 WAF decreases exponentially :)

More then anything, I would love to ditch the DLink media server and stream directly from windows home server. I've been lead to believe some Denon's will do that, but can't find it in the specs

WAF will also require easy operation using the Harmony remote.

Mic to measure and adjust the sound is also required.

I don't require the absolute latest model, unless there's some real need for it.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I vote for using that budget towards speakers too. How about $500 towards a receiver, and $500 towards parts for DIY of new stereo speakers, or front three? I can't find an image or specs of your current speakers, but I bet upgrading those will make for a bigger difference.

I bring up DIY since you've made your sub already.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I don't know what you have now. Generally, new speakers will improve your sound better than anything else. Electronics really all sound the same. The only consideration there is that your amp is adequate to drive the load presented by your speakers.

If you have good speakers and your amp/receiver is adequate to drive them, save your money. If you really need to spend money on a new receiver, you mainly want to consider features. Some Denons have good networking features and they have decent amplifier sections.

Sorry I can't give you specific advice. I hope that helps.

Jim

E

emaja

Audioholic Intern
I agree that speakers are probably more important for the sound than a receiver. If the budget allows, get the front mains and a center first. You can always use what you have for rears and update them later as funds allow.

If you pass on the speakers, if I had to do it over again I would be sure to get a receiver with pre-outs to add a power amp later and ethernet for internet radio and to update firmware if needed.

The Onkyo Onkyo TX-NR708 or 808 fit into my recommendations, but the Emotiva stuff looks to be great at a very nice price. I will be looking into them for later purchases myself.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
My first reaction to this thread title - Give it to me :D:rolleyes:
But seriously - if you don't mind some easy DIY
PE huge sale on TriTrix MTM TL KIT - $199 (Regular %399)
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-702

Regarding AVR with network streaming support (plus auto correction and rest of bells and whistles)
AC4L has refub Onkyo TX-NR708 for $499 or you could get a new one about $125 more.

P

philh

Full Audioholic
ok, first of all I can be an idiot attempting to multi task too many simultaneous activities... {sigh}

Infinity Beta 50 front speakers, think it's the C360 center, and C250 rears, I may have the exact model numbers slightly off, but they're supposed to be matched. Speakers are in great shape and sound great.

Biggest reasons for the upgrade, to be able to tune the sound, move all the components to HDMI, and stream video and music off the server.

I saw the 4310 prices, that is pretty incredible!

A

aggielaw

Audiophyte
I've seen some complaints (heat, if I remember right) about the 4310 but what a steal at half off!

P

philh

Full Audioholic
GRRRRR

Called Onecall, only took one call too :) I really wanted video... 4310 won't do video, but 4311 and 991 will. Except after i get it and it's installed, find it might, if I pay another $50 upgrade. Having problem with the "might".

The Denon manual SUCKS! For the life of me, can't figure out how to get it into surround mode. It thinks it's getting two channel out of media player (set to digital output), and routing everything through the center channel :(

I will suggest when playing DVD, the sound is far more discrete than the old Sony... never realized how much bleeding between channels it had.

I'm going to eat shipping costs in sending this back, but it's probably cheaper than dumping it off a bridge.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis