Help me pick a receiver

D

Duff man

Audioholic Intern
I'm trying to decide between two receivers. I mostly listen to music (80%) and watch some TV (20%). My current receiver is an 5+ year old RCA RX-778VBK which will be moving down to the basement. I don't use or need most of the options that come with the new receivers...I've never used any of the sound effects, the sound is usually run flat. I don't have a Blu-Ray and likely won't be getting one any time soon. I also don't send my DVD player or PVR through the receiver for processing. My speakers are Energy C500 towers, no middle, no sub, and no surrounds. I may get a middle and surrounds in the future, but won't go to 7.1. It's a very simple set up.

I live in Canada, so our prices are not be as good as down south. These are the two receivers I am looking at:

1. Sony STRDA2400ES ($598):
http://www2.visions.ca/Catalogue/Category/Details.aspx?categoryId=143&productId=4272

2. Yamaha YHT292B ($369):
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/yamaha-yamaha-5-1-channel-home-theatre-system-yht292b-yht292-b/10128090.aspx?path=eb1ff197615fe28b45b641f4b256a784en02

Since I won't be using most of the features on either receiver, is there any reason to spend more for the Sony? Other than more features, is it "better" than the Yamaha? If I mostly listen to music, would I be able to tell the difference between them?

Thanks!!

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
i think the yamaha includes speakers, personally to me the yamaha looks kind of cheap, i cant see any way you can make a HQ receiver and include speakers and all those fancy features and still have a good overall product, makes me wonder how much they skimped on the amplifier. i say go with the sony or broaden your selections also you can get 2 channel receivers, if you only plan to continue using two speakers, i would say do that

Last edited:
adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Might as well be future proof and get an HT receiver. I also wouldn't buy a Sony. I've never been impressed with them.

If you buy from the big blue box, I would get the best yammy you can afford. Should be a pretty decent upgrade from the RCA.

D

Duff man

Audioholic Intern
I do want HT, but don't want to pay for a bunch of features that I'll never use. I also don't want to go too cheap as I already have a cheap HT receiver.

I didn't realize the Yamaha I linked to came with speakers...that one is no longer an option.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis