Help me identify these Polk bookshelf speakers

Shintsu

Shintsu

Banned
I was considering these for a small system in my bedroom but I'm curious as to some specs but the guy doesn't have the stickers on them anymore nor does he know the model or anything and I am having no luck online. Can anyone tell me the model of these speakers, their age, and/or some specs?

I'd appreciate it, thanks guys! I know someone here knows!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I think those are one of the Monitor series, but I haven't been able to track down which one. I'm sure that there's a list of Polk speakers somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it.

If you haven't already, I'd suggest posting that over at the Polk forum.

Shintsu

Shintsu

Banned
Alrighty, I haven't registered at Polk so I was hoping to figure it out here - I'll go sign up and post there too.

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
Those look like the Monitor series. I have pair of Monitor 5Jr. which have an added bass radiator. From the looks of it, it could be the Monitor 4 series and was produced until the early 90's Here's a link.

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/monitor4/

The pic is slightly different because the redesigned the monitor about 3 times over.

Shintsu

Shintsu

Banned
Those look like the Monitor series. I have pair of Monitor 5Jr. which have an added bass radiator. From the looks of it, it could be the Monitor 4 series and was produced until the early 90's Here's a link.

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/monitor4/

The pic is slightly different because the redesigned the monitor about 3 times over.
Yep, this is what the guys over at Club Polk were suggesting as well. They said it looked like Mini Monitor speakers:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Polk-Audio-Speakers_W0QQitemZ260339795737QQihZ016QQcategoryZ3276QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Only thing I've noticed - these seem to have a port on the front whereas these do not.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
The best reference that I found last night in my hour or so search was this listing here. None of those look like what you have. Some are very similar, but nothing exact.

I was hoping that the Polk forum members would be able to nail it for you. Perhaps give them a bit more time and someone will recognize them.

Shintsu

Shintsu

Banned
Yes, these are second gen Mini Monitors. I finally have a concurring answer between here and Club Polk (the first one) and given the similarity to the original Mini Monitors I think this is a safe assumption. Thanks for the help guys, glad to have figured this out! Who would've thought it wouldn't be obvious? By chance does anyone know any solid specs on these (Wattage, age, MSRP, etc)?

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
The Monitor series vary in frequency responses depending on mid range driver size (if it uses a port hole or passive radaitor like mine does). I find with Monitor speakers they are very solid around the 60-80Hz range, so to be on the safe side I would adjust your crossover in the receiver to 80Hz, and like most speakers they pretty much all work to 20kHz. They are all pretty much around 90db/1w at 1/m

Shintsu

Shintsu

Banned
Thanks for the info Matthew, certainly better than nothing! I planned to look at the damn things today but then we had a huge ice storm which just crapped on that idea. I had to postpone it until Thursday or Friday (or whenever the ice melts). But it's not all bad, the university called off class today :D

Aha, someone over at the Polk boards had some more specs and found a posting on eBay of identical looking speakers (link). These are Polk Monitors (Just plain Monitors). Here are a few specs as per a member of Club Polk:

The mini had a 5.25" midwoofer, the larger monitor had the 6.5 you see in your pics.

Yes, just 'monitor'. Circa 1993 give or take a year, I don't have my Orion in front of me, so I can't look it up. About $200 a pair, standard fare on specs, 100 watts, 91db efficient, 8ohm nominal.....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis