help me get back to vinyls

A

algloom

Audiophyte
Good day!

I'm looking to get back into vinyls. The problem is that when it comes to vinyls, music on vinyls, I have no idea of what I'm talking about.

I used to listen to vinyls alot when I was a child. Nowadays most of the music I own is on CDs or bought digitally. Lately I discovered that so many great artists that I adore have released some of their materials on vinyls as well but as years go by, getting my hands on those vinyls gets more pricier or harder (since they are out of print etc).

So here I am, ready to brush the dust of my childhood vinyls and buy some new ones.

But the question is. What should I listen them on? Budget wise... well the more "bang for a buck" I could get out of the future LP player, the better. Perhaps around 200-600€? Could be a bit more, could be less, I dont really mind.

A mate of a mate suggested that I buy a "technics SL -1200MK2". Are there any better options out there? As said, I dont plan to to any DJ'ing, I just want to relax and enjoy my old vinyls and buy some new ones and listen to them

Thank you!

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
"Vinyls"???

Have you been hanging at that retarded site where the children pick garbage and make up their own words?

We spin vinyl. We play records or albums.

When you play tapes, you don't play "mylars?

When you play CD's, you don't play "plastics"

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Although I repressed my inner grammar policeman, thanks for saying that Mark. It does seem that the term album has fallen into disuse, and, if I recall back in the day when all albums came stamped onto vinyl records, album was the word most often used.

If someone said "LP" they were looked at oddly. No one said "vinyl" in either the singular or plural form.

Perhaps the term "vinyls" is used differently on the eastern side of the Atlantic, in the Euro zone.

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
Have you been hanging at that retarded site where the children pick garbage and make up their own words?

We spin vinyl. We play records or albums.

When you play tapes, you don't play "mylars?

When you play CD's, you don't play "plastics"
Love your tact!

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
yeah. that was harsh mark

although, in fairness, all the hate was targeted at this "other site", but at first reading, it could be construed as passed on to the OP

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Good day!

I'm looking to get back into vinyls. The problem is that when it comes to vinyls, music on vinyls, I have no idea of what I'm talking about.

I used to listen to vinyls alot when I was a child. Nowadays most of the music I own is on CDs or bought digitally. Lately I discovered that so many great artists that I adore have released some of their materials on vinyls as well but as years go by, getting my hands on those vinyls gets more pricier or harder (since they are out of print etc).

So here I am, ready to brush the dust of my childhood vinyls and buy some new ones.

But the question is. What should I listen them on? Budget wise... well the more "bang for a buck" I could get out of the future LP player, the better. Perhaps around 200-600€? Could be a bit more, could be less, I dont really mind.

A mate of a mate suggested that I buy a "technics SL -1200MK2". Are there any better options out there? As said, I dont plan to to any DJ'ing, I just want to relax and enjoy my old vinyls and buy some new ones and listen to them

Thank you!
Welcome. :)

Not the best reception, especially to a member, it seems, from the EU whose English may not be up to par to us in the US.
And, no answer to your question that was still understood.
Wish I could help but I am not into vinyl anymore. I am sure you could find a good player in your price range though. Unfortunately no amount will give you an accurate reproduction of the master from a vinyl but I can certainly understand a nostalgic urge to discover what you had in your early years.

A

audiofox

Full Audioholic
A lot of folks like the Technics for playback as well as DJ applications because of their predictable performance and reliability, but the main problem is finding one for a reasonable price, partly because they are now out of production but still very popular. Here is an informative Wikipedia page on the turntable and its various incarnations over the years:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technics_SL-1200

Here's the eBay (US) page for the 1200:

technics SL1200 | eBay

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Although I repressed my inner grammar policeman, thanks for saying that Mark. It does seem that the term album has fallen into disuse, and, if I recall back in the day when all albums came stamped onto vinyl records, album was the word most often used.

If someone said "LP" they were looked at oddly. No one said "vinyl" in either the singular or plural form.

Perhaps the term "vinyls" is used differently on the eastern side of the Atlantic, in the Euro zone.
I used to call them gramophone records.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Good day!

Thank you!
Where in the Eurozone are you? That makes a difference in how we advise you.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You ar right.

yeah. that was harsh mark

although, in fairness, all the hate was targeted at this "other site", but at first reading, it could be construed as passed on to the OP
There was no harshness meant towards the OP, just a correction in the usage of the wording.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I'm from Estonia.

Thanks for the replies.
So where do intend to make the purchase? Do you have a link to a dealer you would consider purchasing from?

I don't think any of us are familiar with the Estonian audio scene.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Good day!

Thank you!
If you can find a Technics SL1200 or 1210, MK2 or higher, then those are bulletproof. They are built like a tank and will last a lifetime, no doubt about it. The other nice thing about the 1200 is that they were the go to table for about 40 years, so parts are abundant and it's easy to find someone to repair them. The downside is that they aren't being produced anymore, so new ones are in the $1K range. But good used ones are easy to come by in your price range, but try to avoid one that was used in clubs and/or by DJs (abused). Even with the routine abuse handed out by DJs, these tables can last a decade or more.

Many people on this forum love this table. Many people will also steer you clear of them because they are a "DJ" table and not an "audiophile" table, but I really don't agree with this nonsense. The 1200 started as a consumer table, but was adopted by the DJs due to it's excellent timing scheme and rugged durability.

Other TTs that come highly regaurded on this site are the Project Debut
Pro-Ject Turntables

or the Rega Rega Turntables

For my money, the 1200 was the choice and it was a great decision. I may one day pick up a Rega or Project, for my 2nd system.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Sorry about my initial response. I was in a bad mood (I get that way sometimes) and over at "that other forum", some kid just tried to say that that's the proper usage and we should get used to it and we're all old fogeys if we don't like it.

But, as for your question, yes, that's a very serviceable unit. But it's not the only one out there. Our problem is that we don't know your budget (or the conversion rates involved) and what's available to you, and at what price.

If you could throw a few make/model numbers with prices at us we might be able to help narrow down your choices to a workable few.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
I'm from Estonia.

Thanks for the replies.
Welcome to the Audioholics forums!

Estonia, very cool country. I have never been there I have read about your nation's technical savvy and embrace of Internet technologies. I have even heard there are wide-area wi-fi initiatives in Estonia.

Estonia a very interesting study in how a bit of government investment in technical literacy for its people can make a relatively small nation highly competitive on the world stage.

Sorry, I can't help you on the Vinyls. I'm still happy to evolved into digital technology. If I get nostalgic I watch an episode of MASH and wonder why thought it was so funny.

A

algloom

Audiophyte
So where do intend to make the purchase? Do you have a link to a dealer you would consider purchasing from?

I don't think any of us are familiar with the Estonian audio scene.
It's quite likely that I'll end up buying something from ebay or amazon.co.uk or perhaps some other online store that ships to Estonia.

The selection from local dealers isn't all that good.

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
Sorry about my initial response. I was in a bad mood (I get that way sometimes) and over at "that other forum", some kid just tried to say that that's the proper usage and we should get used to it and we're all old fogeys if we don't like it.

But, as for your question, yes, that's a very serviceable unit. But it's not the only one out there. Our problem is that we don't know your budget (or the conversion rates involved) and what's available to you, and at what price.

If you could throw a few make/model numbers with prices at us we might be able to help narrow down your choices to a workable few.
Kudos to you for manning up.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis