Help me design my house.

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
I'm tearing down my house and building a new one. It will be approximately 4,500 - 5,000 sq. ft. I do not want centralized audio/video. I prefer to have separate systems in each room. In any case, I want to have 2 dedicated rooms, one for my HT and one for 2 channel. I have all the gear, I just need to design room dimensions. They don't need to be a slave to acoustics b/c I use TACT room correction, but should at least adhere to abasic acoustic principles.

Any thoughts on layout and dimension? I know I want very high celings in both rooms. Rooms should not be ridicuoulsly big (its only for me, the wife and the 3 yr old), but they should be as big as practicable in a 5,000 sq. ft home.

Any input would be appreciated.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
sts9fan

sts9fan

Banned
Rooms should not be ridicuoulsly big (its only for me, the wife and the 3 yr old), but they should be as big as practicable in a 5,000 sq. ft home.
You contradict yourself in that statment. Three people in a 5k sq ft home is a waste of resources.I hope you look into solar panels. McMansion

J

jake51s

Junior Audioholic
sts9fan said:
You contradict yourself in that statment. Three people in a 5k sq ft home is a waste of resources.I hope you look into solar panels. McMansion
Don't hate the player, hate the game :)

T

tbewick

Senior Audioholic
The ratio 7.8 x 6.2 x 4.9 (metres) has a very good distribution of room modes for even bass. I think this is called the magic ratio or something. I'll post up the details.

I've heard having an angled ceiling is desirable, as this combats ceiling reflections. Also you'd want to have the listening room downstairs.

The BBC R&D website has something about acoustics for production studios. I haven't looked at the papers myself but they might be of some use:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/papers/index-studio.shtml

T

tbewick

Senior Audioholic
Here's the details on the room modes. Ref: Practical Hi-Fi Sound, Roger Driscoll (c) 1980, Hamlyn.

Harman might be worth looking up, but I've found their site not very easy to use.

Last edited:
S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
Jaxvon

Definitely going to be calling Rives.

That DYI HT looks great, but I would never find the time to do that.

Tbewick

Thanks for the info. Those dimensions seem good for my 2 channel room. Probably want the HT a little bigger.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
tbewick said:
The ratio 7.8 x 6.2 x 4.9 (metres) has a very good distribution of room modes for even bass. I think this is called the magic ratio or something. I'll post up the details.

I've heard having an angled ceiling is desirable, as this combats ceiling reflections. Also you'd want to have the listening room downstairs.

The BBC R&D website has something about acoustics for production studios. I haven't looked at the papers myself but they might be of some use:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/papers/index-studio.shtml
Hi tbwick,

So with my 8' ceilings would it be correct that 12.734' x 10.122' is the optimum size or is that not large enough for the bass waves. (thats pretty small) I have heard salesman say that "you need a large room to really get the bass from these speakers". I'm always skeptical of salespeople so what is your thoughts.

SBF1

Ethan Winer

Ethan Winer

Full Audioholic
> I have heard salesman say that "you need a large room to really get the bass from these speakers". <

That's a myth. If it were true, headphones would have no bass. :D The text below is from my Acoustics FAQ.

--Ethan

Yet another common misconception is that small rooms cannot reproduce very low frequencies, so they're not worth treating at all. A popular (but incorrect) theory is that very low frequencies require a certain minimum room dimension to "develop," and so can never be present at all in smaller rooms. The truth is that any room can reproduce very low frequencies, as long as the reflections that cause acoustic cancellations are avoided. When you add bass trapping, you are making the walls less reflective at low frequencies, so sound that hits a wall or ceiling will be absorbed instead of reflected. The net result is exactly the same as if the wall was not there at all - or as if the wall was very far away - whatever does come back is greatly attenuated due to distance and, therefore, not loud enough to cause as much cancellation.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Ethan,

I never understood the salesmans statment, but there is alot I don't understand.....Yet!:) Now off to do more reading...

Thank you,
SBF1

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis