Help me choose an amp

E

EJD

Junior Audioholic
Also, what brands should I look for? So far, I ahve heard of Emotiva, Outlaw, Sunfire, NAD, Carver. Are they all pretty comparable?
In addition to those, I would toss out Acurus and Rotel. I would put them at about the same level as the others you mention. Bryston and B&K are a couple other names that would IMO be a notch above - but that's a pretty subjective notch.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
In addition to those, I would toss out Acurus and Rotel. I would put them at about the same level as the others you mention. Bryston and B&K are a couple other names that would IMO be a notch above - but that's a pretty subjective notch.
Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for those too.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
"Gunga ga lunga... gunga la gunga.." Sorry, couldn't resist... :D

All of the manufacturer's you've listed build quality amps for the money, so unless it's someone you've never heard of and no one else has, you'll likely get very comparable performance from any of these w/the same wattage ratings.

I have used (and continue to use) the following sites for my pre-owned purchases:

AudiogoN (here's a URL for multichannel amps at Audiogon)
eBay (selectively, from good rating sellers)
AVS Forum
Audioholics classifieds
Home Theater Forum
Home Theater Spot (requires paid membership for access to the Yardsale Spot section)
AV123 Forum
Home Theater Shack

That should keep you busy for a bit... ;) -TD
Cool. Thanks again Tom.

"He said, 'There'll be no money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total conciousness.' So I got that goin' for me. Which is nice." :D

I could do this all day.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Have you thought about pro amps?

For example, a Crown XLS-402 stereo amplifier can be had for around $300 to $400 and deliver 300 watts a channel, and Behringer has the EP2500 that’s 450 watts a channel for $350.

Or would that just be too many choices… ;)
I actually thought about buying the A500 from Behringer. But I'd need 4 of them to do a 7.1 setup. Whereas I'd only need 1 LPA-1. Plus don't you have to buy different connectors for pro-gear?

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
"Chinch bugs...y'know... Manganese... lot a people don't even know what that is..."

Sadly, so could I... :D

If you just wanted to accommodate for the front soundstage (LCR), three Behringer A500s bridged would be a heck of a lot of power for the money and wouldn't take up much more room than most multi-channel amps. You could then use the RV-X661 to power the surrounds which would be plenty for them. In fact, I'm using my RX-V2500 to power my rear surrounds and haven't had any problem doing so.

The A500s don't need any different connectors as they have an RCA in, however quite a few folks have experienced the "hum" issue, which is very easily solved. If you did encounter the hum, you can get an RCA to 1/4" plug adapter (less than $5 at Radio Shack) and utilizing the 1/4" balanced connection, this will eliminate all hum.

Here's a link to an older posting of mine when I sold my A500 which will have the rear connectors and the RCA to 1/4" connector... -TD

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
"Chinch bugs...y'know... Manganese... lot a people don't even know what that is..."

Sadly, so could I... :D

If you just wanted to accommodate for the front soundstage (LCR), three Behringer A500s bridged would be a heck of a lot of power for the money and wouldn't take up much more room than most multi-channel amps. You could then use the RV-X661 to power the surrounds which would be plenty for them. In fact, I'm using my RX-V2500 to power my rear surrounds and haven't had any problem doing so.

Here's a link to an older posting of mine when I sold my A500 which will have the rear connectors and the RCA to 1/4" connector... -TD
Too bad I wasn't thinking about doing this last December.

How about just buying 2 A500's to power FL, FR and Center?

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
If you were to run just two, I would suggest using them on your mains bridged, then run the center and surrounds from the receiver.

Off-loading the VR2s to a couple of A500s will open them up and give the receiver some breathing room as well.. -TD

C

cka69335

Enthusiast
Hey folks,

I recently bought a Yamaha 661. It's a great receiver for the money, but I think I might like to get a separate amp to give me a bit more juice. Initially, I was looking at the Emotiva LPA-1, but it is only 35 watts per channel more than the 661. Also, I figured an amp would be a lot cleaner than a receiver, but Yamaha specs the 661 at 90 W/Channel at .06%THD, while the Emotiva is spec'd at 125 W/Channel at .04% THD.

That doesn't seem to be too much of a difference. So is it really worth spending the $500 on the Emotiva? What about other amplifier manufacturers? A rep for Emotiva actually gave me some pretty honest info. He said that unless I felt that my 661 was lacking, I might not notice much of a difference with the LPA-1. He did mention the "all channels driven" thing. And the fact that receivers typically use solid state chip or class D amps as opposed to the discrete set up of an outboard amp.

So anyway, what should I do?
I just recently bought the LPA-1 from Emotiva, and I am EXTREMELY:D happy. I previously owned a Yamaha RV1500, and loved it, but just like you didn't think I was getting the right wattage. With the Emotiva you will get the greatest bang for your buck.

I have the BA's VR1's and this amp has brought them back to life. You will clearly hear a difference in clarity with this amp. As a matter of fact I was going to get rid of my BA's because I tought they were not cear enough-- until I got the LPA-1. The company is easy to work with, and shipping is free. Not to mention once you’re a customer with them, and you buy any additional equipment you automatically get 40% off, no matter how new the equipment is!!!!! If I were you I would buy the $899.00 set, you could always sell the Yamaha or the preamp that comes with it!!:D

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I just recently bought the LPA-1 from Emotiva, and I am EXTREMELY:D happy. I previously owned a Yamaha RV1500, and loved it, but just like you didn't think I was getting the right wattage. With the Emotiva you will get the greatest bang for your buck.

I have the BA's VR1's and this amp has brought them back to life. You will clearly hear a difference in clarity with this amp. As a matter of fact I was going to get rid of my BA's because I tought they were not cear enough-- until I got the LPA-1. The company is easy to work with, and shipping is free. Not to mention once you’re a customer with them, and you buy any additional equipment you automatically get 40% off, no matter how new the equipment is!!!!! If I were you I would buy the $899.00 set, you could always sell the Yamaha or the preamp that comes with it!!:D
Well that sounds like good news. So you're saying that there was a noticeable difference between the LPA-1 and the Yamaha receiver you were using before?

I just wish the Emotiva site had pictures of the HDMI switcher that they include with the LMC-1. I'd kinda hate to get rid of my 661. Geez, I barely got done hooking it up.

C

cfrizz

Senior Audioholic
You don't have to get rid of your Yammie, it has preouts for separate amplification. It will do just fine as a prepro.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
darien 87

If you are still looking for an amp, this B&K Ref 4420 at Audiogon looks like a very good deal for $495. If you can get the owner down to $450, you'll get it for a dollar a watt!

This amp delivers two channels of 225 watts at 8 ohms and 350 watts at 4 ohms. I'm not sure what the retail price was when new, but B&K's equivalent model, the Ref 200.2, is probably at least $1500 new.

I think it weighs over 40 lbs., so packing and shipping will matter.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Nevermind...

No sooner than I point this amp out, it gets sold. :rolleyes:

C

cka69335

Enthusiast
Well that sounds like good news. So you're saying that there was a noticeable difference between the LPA-1 and the Yamaha receiver you were using before?

I just wish the Emotiva site had pictures of the HDMI switcher that they include with the LMC-1. I'd kinda hate to get rid of my 661. Geez, I barely got done hooking it up.
You can use your current receiver as a "per amp" and buy just the amp (499.00) by itself. The only problem with the HDMI switcher is that it’s strictly for Video. I spoke to one of the sales guy there and he explained that when you hook up the switcher you still have to use the coax and/or optical from the source (DVD, CD, ect) to get the sound to the amp.

I can send you a pick of the switcher if you want.

If you do go with this amp, MAKE sure that you have the space... its BIG and HEAVEY (67lbs)

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
You can use your current receiver as a "per amp" and buy just the amp (499.00) by itself. The only problem with the HDMI switcher is that it’s strictly for Video. I spoke to one of the sales guy there and he explained that when you hook up the switcher you still have to use the coax and/or optical from the source (DVD, CD, ect) to get the sound to the amp.

I can send you a pick of the switcher if you want.

If you do go with this amp, MAKE sure that you have the space... its BIG and HEAVEY (67lbs)
Well then the LCM won't work for me. I've gotta have HDMI audio. That was 90% of the reason I bought the 661. But hey, I could still go with the LPA-1. :D

C

cka69335

Enthusiast
Well then the LCM won't work for me. I've gotta have HDMI audio. That was 90% of the reason I bought the 661. But hey, I could still go with the LPA-1. :D
You can use your current Yamaha, and hook your sources up to it, and then hook your amp to the Yamaha.

I would call Emotiva before ruling this amp out!!

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I recently purchased the Emotiva MPS-1 and the DMC-1, I'm very happy with them.
I went from 125 watts to 200. It was cranked up for 2 hours, and wasn't the slightest bit warm.
The other nice thing with Emotiva, is they offer 40% off on future upgrades.

Below is a clip from their site.

We are offering a 40% discount program to all ORIGINAL owners of Emotiva A/V processors and receivers. As we develop new A/V processor and receiver products you will be eligible for a discount of 40% off of the purchase price of any new A/V processor or receiver product we release.
Good luck making your choice, and be careful out there.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
The other nice thing with Emotiva, is they offer 40% off on future upgrades.
Wanna buy the LPA-1 for me with your discount? I'll send you the money for it.

This is getting more and more confusing. I've talked to a couple of local stores and one guy told me to just get a 2-channel amp and let my receiver run the center and surrounds. Yet another said that having good, clean power on the center channel was very important, and that going with a multi-channel amp was the better way to go.

But the Emotiva 2-channel amp is $700, compared to the 7 channel amp at $500.

I am leaning more toward the LPA-1 though.

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
No need for confusion, these are just differing views. One's not necessarily better than the other, but just different opinions. Besides, this is stuff is supposed to be fun, remember? ;)

If you were heavily into multi-channel music (SA-CDs, DVD-As, etc.), external center channel amplification may be a more serious consideration. Also, if you were driving the front soundstage as all large speakers, this also would be another reason to strongly consider the external amplification for your center as well as mains as the lower frequencies would require more power. However, running your mains and center as small (crossed over at 80Hz or higher), it is unlikely the 661 will have difficulty driving the center and surrounds.

Approximately 70-80% of DD/DTS soundtracks will be carried in the front soundstage, so this is where you'll want to make sure you've got ample power. However, as I noted, the 661 is a fairly powerful receiver and driving the center and surrounds shouldn't be too taxing. One last consideration is that if you find yourself running in 5 channel stereo for long periods at or near reference levels, a five channel amp would be suggested... -TD

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks again Tom

"He got all of that one. He's gotta be pleased with that. Normally quiet Augusta crowd... going wild." :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis