Help me build my second sub

E

E-A-G-L-E-S

Full Audioholic
I bought a SVS PB12-NSD a couple weeks ago. I love it, always clean and fairly visceral.
I want a second sub to fill in the weak spots in my listening area and have decided to give myself a project.

To start, what materials/tools/attachments will I need besides this list:
-1" mdf
-500w plate amp(oaudio or PA 500w bash) -- or -- Behringer ep2500
-no show wood screws
-titebond or gorilla wood glue
-driver of choice
-router
-jigsaw

I do not have a size limitation per se, but would love to stay as small as the perfromance I'm looking for will allow.
As far as desired performance I want to "at least" match the SVS's FR sweep, if not best it at least above 25Hz.
So anywhere from 2.5 cu ft to 6 cu ft lets say as that is pretty large and my pb12 is ~3.8 cu ft.

jinjuku

jinjuku

The Infinity Reference 1262w in a 1.2 cubic foot sealed enclosure and Behringer iNuke 3000DSP and have a channel in reserve for a 3rd sub later one.

Let the SVS handle 40 and down.

E

E-A-G-L-E-S

Full Audioholic
The Infinity Reference 1262w in a 1.2 cubic foot sealed enclosure and Behringer iNuke 3000DSP and have a channel in reserve for a 3rd sub later one.

Let the SVS handle 40 and down.
Without an EQ:
1. How would I have seperate x-overs from AVR out? My Denon 1910 has just one sub out, so when I had my dual 8's I ran a splitter, but had just one x-over point.

TIA!

jinjuku

jinjuku

Without an EQ:
1. How would I have seperate x-overs from AVR out? My Denon 1910 has just one sub out, so when I had my dual 8's I ran a splitter, but had just one x-over point.

TIA!
You have to provide management for each channel. So you will defeat the x-over on the receiver (if optional) and use the X-over on the SVS and the X-over on the iNuke 3000DSP (along with EQ function if needed).

You will still run the splitter still and just use each amps X-Over and EQ function.

M

miniSQ

Junior Audioholic
The sub you have is a 12" powered sub valued at around $500. The only sensible thing to do here is buy another matching sub.

Mixing and matching is not going to improve anything....and in fact will much more likely make it worse.

Also its unlikely that you will save any money here over going with a second SVS.

E

E-A-G-L-E-S

Full Audioholic
You have to provide management for each channel. So you will defeat the x-over on the receiver (if optional) and use the X-over on the SVS and the X-over on the iNuke 3000DSP (along with EQ function if needed).

You will still run the splitter still and just use each amps X-Over and EQ function.
These new SVS amps are apparently awful to use, incorporating a 10db something or other?

E

E-A-G-L-E-S

Full Audioholic
The sub you have is a 12" powered sub valued at around $500. The only sensible thing to do here is buy another matching sub.

Mixing and matching is not going to improve anything....and in fact will much more likely make it worse.

Also its unlikely that you will save any money here over going with a second SVS.
$769 shipped. I built a Tempest-X/Behringer EP2500 a few years ago for $700.

jinjuku

jinjuku

As long as the drivers have roughly the same sensitivity integration with a flexible x-over isn't going to be an issue.

I don't know if I would personally go down this route vs just picking up another of same like sub but it is doable.

E

E-A-G-L-E-S

Full Audioholic
As long as the drivers have roughly the same sensitivity integration with a flexible x-over isn't going to be an issue.

I don't know if I would personally go down this route vs just picking up another of same like sub but it is doable.
The reason I don't want to go that route is two fold:
1. If I was going to buy ID again, I might as well sell my single PB12 and buy an HSU VTF-15H....as one 15H gives 5-8db more from 30-80hz.(which is essentially equal to two PB12's.
2. I wanted to build a sub

I suppose I could sell the PB12 and try buidling a very high power single sub.

jinjuku

jinjuku

The reason I don't want to go that route is two fold:
1. If I was going to buy ID again, I might as well sell my single PB12 and buy an HSU VTF-15H....as one 15H gives 5-8db more from 30-80hz.(which is essentially equal to two PB12's.
2. I wanted to build a sub

I suppose I could sell the PB12 and try buidling a very high power single sub.
Didn't you just purchase that SVS? The Infinity Reference is a high value proposition. From everything that I have read it is a true sleeper. No one has complained about the SQ. Just lauded it.

That with the iNuke 3000DSP and you have a potent combination. Can you put the amp somewhere so the noise isn't an issue?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis