Help: Making a Speaker System for a Large Room

D

davidv

Audiophyte
Hi,

My father is planing on getting a semi decent speaker set up for his new house, hopefully on about a $1300 budget for components and another $200 for cables/etc.

What we need is going to be a reciever, 5.1 speaker set up, and maybe a CD changer/upscaling dvd player. I'm thinking the setup will be about 60% music and 40% movies.

Now the interesting part, the living room is quite large and has a noticeable echo when listening over their current tv. Hardwood floors, and roughly 22x25x50 (length/width/height) feet. We need something that will give a nice strong sound but hopefully not be too much of an echo also.

Oh and if I'm not mistaken we need A/B switching, which allows two speaker systems to be hooked to the same reciever right? That way we can route the speakers that will eventually go out on the porch to the same reciever

Really looking forward to any suggestions, thanks guys.

Last edited:
B

billnchristy

Senior Audioholic
50 feet height? is this correct?

Personally if I had a 5 story living room I would budget a little more than a grand into speakers...most concert halls arent that high!!

rikmeister

rikmeister

Audioholic
i agree you will need more money. but you could look on audiogon for some good used

also what will you power these with.

D

davidv

Audiophyte
Well, now that I've talked to him again he isn't all too sure. Lets say about 35 ft'ish then? You see the way the house is built is a little funny also.

I'll try to explain it a bit. From walking in the front door, you have the common stairs leading to the second floor and such, but there isn't an actual 2nd floor separating the living room, which really extends to the kitchen/dining area so there is a LOT of room and some echo.

We don't need a set of speakers that are ridiculously powerful, neither he nor I would be hard pressed to hear the differences with grade A and grade C quality I can consciously say. We just need a decent set of loud speakers. Hope that helps, thanks.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis