[Help] Low volume on surround/rear speakers

jdomi

jdomi

Audiophyte
Hi all,

First post here and would like some help. My setup is as follow (not sure if I can create a signature with all of this): 7.1 Dolby Atmos Setup = Samsung UN60D8000 TV, Yamaha RX-V781 AVR, Klipsch RP-450C Reference Premiere Center Channel Speaker, 2 Klipsch Klipsch RP-280F Reference Premiere Floorstanding Speakers, 4 Klipsch CDT-5800-C II 8" In-Ceiling Pivoting Speakers, 1 Polk Audio PSW505 Subwoofer, Samsung BD-J7500 Blu-Ray Player.

I am experiencing very low volume on my 4 ceiling speakers (2 surrounds and 2 surrounds back). I have changed their calibration many times, changed from small to large speakers. It's a brand new installation and all wiring is good, using banana plugs, longer wire is less than 20ft.

Currently, they are setup at 80Hz, -10db, YPAO is flat.

Newbie here, so please go easy and explain for me.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Raise the speaker level for those speakers as I assume they are now -10db (based on your post), try getting them closer to zero or to positive if needed.

Also with what content they are low volume? Everything? As some content is with lesser volume for surrounds to start with.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
@tyhjaarpa,

I am trying your suggestion and I think I am getting somewhere. I will post results later.
You might want to buy a sound pressure level meter and manually level match all your channels with the receiver's built in test tones.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How do you orient the mic for the in-ceiling speakers? 90 degrees to the speakers as is done with free standing speakers?

jdomi

jdomi

Audiophyte
@lovinthehd,

I am not sure I understand your question. I can pivot the in-ceilings towards the seating area and that's how I have them now.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
When using a setup mic you point it 90 degrees from free standing speakers (at least as how usually placed), i.e. the mic pointing up at the ceiling. I'm wondering if for in-ceiling speakers you should orient the mic similarly, i.e. point it 90 degrees in relation to the ceiling.

ps I have never setup in-ceiling speakers nor am I likely to....

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I am experiencing very low volume on my 4 ceiling speakers (2 surrounds and 2 surrounds back).
When listening to what? As tyhjaarpa said, some (most) stuff has a low volume in the surrounds compared to the fronts.

Have you tried some music in "All Channel Stereo" mode? That sends the same signal/volume to each speaker. Since the surrounds usually only have effects, (like doors opening, car doors, squeaking floor, etc.), they will always seem low compared to the fronts in TV/Movies, even in music if you're in one of the surround modes.

How about during the manual YPAO speaker volume setup where the receiver plays a tone. You can select individual speakers. Is their volume low then too?

If you want, you can increase the volume of each speaker individually to your liking. This is also in the YPAO manual volume setup menu. But first I'd try the All Channel Stereo just to be sure it's an AVR setting, (or your expectations), not some mechanical issue.

jdomi

jdomi

Audiophyte
@herbu,

Thank you, yes I have done the YPAO calibration and the tone sounds fine but in the All Channel Stereo is sounds low as well as in movies, you almost can't hear it. I have also manually increased the volume of those channels individually and still low.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
What gauge wire was run to them and how far? Also check the phasing.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
It makes little sense that the ceiling speakers are low in volume..
This points to a wiring and/or install problem. To validate the wiring to the ceiling speakers and the speakers themselves, I would suggest that U temporarily connect 1 pair of the celing speakers to ur L/R front speaker outputs from the AVR...
What happens..
a. If the ceiling speakers now play loud then the wiring and speakers are OK
b. If the ceiling speakers still play low then U have a wiring or install problem

Post back the results.

Just my $0.02... ;)

jdomi

jdomi

Audiophyte
Thanks for all the responses. I got it all working now. It was a combination of factors that I never got all right at the same time as I was being extra careful by changing one setting at a time. I now got a flat YPAO, +5 db and 80Hz in all 4 in-ceiling speakers, surround mode, dialog enhancer on.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis