help in choosing CD player

D

dgvoyles

Enthusiast
I have finally retired and decided to put together a good stereo system. Here is what I'm leaning towards now: NHT Classic 3 bookshelf speakers (with or without 10" sub). Emotiva XPA 200 Amp and Emotiva USP 1 preamp. I would like some help in choosing a New CD player. I am trying to stay under $3000. total so about $500. for the CD player. I will be listening to demonstration quality classical orchestral and chamber music; 1950's cool jazz; jazz vocalists (mostly female) and folk rock. I want a CD player with as good a quality and sound as the other components (if this is possible. Thanks for any help you can give me.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The 105 is definitely not going to be had for $500 :) You might be able to find a used 95 for around that. If you don't need video at all, maybe the Emotiva ERC-2? It is $399.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
The 105 is definitely not going to be had for $500 :) You might be able to find a used 95 for around that. If you don't need video at all, maybe the Emotiva ERC-2? It is $399.
whoops, I guess I was looking at the realistic
I am trying to stay under $3000.
dollar figure

Last edited by a moderator:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
If you don't need video at all, maybe the Emotiva ERC-2? It is $399.
I had an ERC-2, and it's a mixed bag. As far as the audio stage goes I think it has unparalleled quality for that price, including balanced outputs for connection to the preamp. On the other hand it uses a clunky, slot-load CDROM drive that can be quite annoying. The front panel controls and those on the remote are a step below the quality of the controls on any $50 DVD player. If you can put up with the ergo challenges the ERC-2 is a great choice for best audio quality, and it will match the rest of your components.

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
Why not set up a computer based playback system and ditch the CD player? That's what I did with my 2 channel rig (see my sig line). You'll never have to hunt for that darn CD again and you can easily set up a system that sounds as good as a very high quality CD player. For $500, you could do something as easy as buying an inexpensive laptop and adding an external dac (say the HRT music streamer II or the emotiva dac). This might pop you a bit over $500 but you will also be able to play music via the internet with your set up. MOG, Spotify, and Pandora are great ways to experience new music. Plus if you have been buying CDs from Amazon, much of your music will not be available from the icloud player via amazon's new autorip feature: Buy a CD from Amazon after 1998? Check Amazon Cloud Player for MP3 tracks | Ars Technica. That's what I'm listening to right now in my office using an HRT music streamer II and audioengine A5 plus speakers.

D

dgvoyles

Enthusiast
I had an ERC-2, and it's a mixed bag. As far as the audio stage goes I think it has unparalleled quality for that price, including balanced outputs for connection to the preamp. On the other hand it uses a clunky, slot-load CDROM drive that can be quite annoying. The front panel controls and those on the remote are a step below the quality of the controls on any $50 DVD player. If you can put up with the ergo challenges the ERC-2 is a great choice for best audio quality, and it will match the rest of your components.

Thanks. I have been considering the ERC-2 but a review I read about the super slow slot loading transport has given me second thoughts. Even though sound is most important I am not the most patient person. Thanks for your input.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Why not set up a computer based playback system and ditch the CD player? That's what I did with my 2 channel rig (see my sig line). You'll never have to hunt for that darn CD again and you can easily set up a system that sounds as good as a very high quality CD player. For $500, you could do something as easy as buying an inexpensive laptop and adding an external dac (say the HRT music streamer II or the emotiva dac). This might pop you a bit over $500 but you will also be able to play music via the internet with your set up. MOG, Spotify, and Pandora are great ways to experience new music. Plus if you have been buying CDs from Amazon, much of your music will not be available from the icloud player via amazon's new autorip feature: Buy a CD from Amazon after 1998? Check Amazon Cloud Player for MP3 tracks | Ars Technica. That's what I'm listening to right now in my office using an HRT music streamer II and audioengine A5 plus speakers.
I tried the notebook computer-based route, and it was completely unacceptable. Notebooks and desktops make noise, especially notebooks, and then there's the issue of needing a keyboard handy. And notebooks also get hot. The best solution I found was an iPad or some other tablet, wireless NAS (there are many choices, like the 2TB Western Digital), and a wireless DAC (like an NAD DAC1). I recommended this set-up to a friend who already has an iPad and he loves it. The problem for me was just the overall cost ($500 + $200 + $200 = $900) for anyone starting from scratch on everything versus my perception of the benefit, so I'm still spinning CDs. I could see where someone else would like the cool factor and go with a tablet.

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
I don't want to hijack the OP's thread but I do think that a computer based playback system is a credible alternative to a CD player. I have both wired and wireless systems throughout the house. I don't find that the laptop noise is an audible problem once you've added an external dac; others may disagree. I use computers as a source throughout the house and office. I know that having used and tested various computer based playback systems in the last few years, I would never go back to a CD player for music.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
I was considering killing two birds with one stone by going with the Oppo 103, high quality BD player and CD, but know I'm having second thoughts, I know the 103 would be an excellent (both video and audio) BD player, but I'm not so convinced about the CD player part. Is there a significant difference (SQ) wise using HDMI vrs. analog for CD playback?
Cheers Jeff

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I tried the notebook computer-based route, and it was completely unacceptable. Notebooks and desktops make noise, especially notebooks, and then there's the issue of needing a keyboard handy. And notebooks also get hot. The best solution I found was an iPad or some other tablet, wireless NAS (there are many choices, like the 2TB Western Digital), and a wireless DAC (like an NAD DAC1). I recommended this set-up to a friend who already has an iPad and he loves it. The problem for me was just the overall cost ($500 + $200 + $200 = $900) for anyone starting from scratch on everything versus my perception of the benefit, so I'm still spinning CDs. I could see where someone else would like the cool factor and go with a tablet.
A couple of corrections to my post. I exchanged some email with my friend who I mentioned, and he said he went with a NuForce Air DAC and he uses a free app called WDPlayer to access the music files on his NAS.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Depends on the laptop - my last one was loud and had average audio, but had HDMI out. Current one does not have HDMI, but I use a USB DAC and sound is acceptable and it is quiet, but still gets hot. More often than not, I don't like to use it for music though.

I was considering killing two birds with one stone by going with the Oppo 103, high quality BD player and CD, but know I'm having second thoughts, I know the 103 would be an excellent (both video and audio) BD player, but I'm not so convinced about the CD player part. Is there a significant difference (SQ) wise using HDMI vrs. analog for CD playback?
Cheers Jeff
It does matter. DACs do play a role, so if the player's analog section is better than your receiver, the player via analog will sound better. How much better is hard to say. I had the 83 and it had good analog performance. When I upgraded it to the 83SE, the analog performance jumped quite a bit and is still actually better than the UMC-200. The 103 may be perfectly fine sound wise, but I'm going to have to expect the 105 to be a step up from it. So it sort of depends on what you're after. I feel my Panny BD-65 has a decent analog section and have no complaints about it. It isn't nearly as good as my 83SE, but I don't feel short changed when I listen to the Panny because it is good enough. So it is a matter of what you are OK with.

I had my Denon 2900 for years because it was a great universal player. When I got the 83 upgraded to SE, I sold the Denon.

Last edited:
cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Depends on the laptop - my last one was loud and had average audio, but had HDMI out. Current one does not have HDMI, but I use a USB DAC and sound is acceptable and it is quiet, but still gets hot. More often than not, I don't like to use it for music though.

It does matter. DACs do play a role, so if the player's analog section is better than your receiver, the player via analog will sound better. How much better is hard to say. I had the 83 and it had good analog performance. When I upgraded it to the 83SE, the analog performance jumped quite a bit and is still actually better than the UMC-200. The 103 may be perfectly fine sound wise, but I'm going to have to expect the 105 to be a step up from it. So it sort of depends on what you're after. I feel my Panny BD-65 has a decent analog section and have no complaints about it. It isn't nearly as good as my 83SE, but I don't feel short changed when I listen to the Panny because it is good enough. So it is a matter of what you are OK with.

I had my Denon 2900 for years because it was a great universal player. When I got the 83 upgraded to SE, I sold the Denon.
I do know from owning both a OPPO 93 and a OPPO 95 that the 95 seems to me and to my ears to have a better audio section.

D

dgvoyles

Enthusiast
The problem I have with the computer based systems and also BLu-Rays like OPPO is the technical aspects. I'm 65 and not very technically sophisticated. When I read about the computer systems (lossless ...., flac....) I get confused and I think the Oppos would just confuse me with all the options. I am comfortable with push in the CD and listen. I know it's sad, I feel the pain. Thanks for the suggestion though.

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
The problem I have with the computer based systems and also BLu-Rays like OPPO is the technical aspects. I'm 65 and not very technically sophisticated. When I read about the computer systems (lossless ...., flac....) I get confused and I think the Oppos would just confuse me with all the options. I am comfortable with push in the CD and listen. I know it's sad, I feel the pain. Thanks for the suggestion though.
I hear you. A computer based playback system need not be that complicated but there is so much info out there. The cool thing is that you can set up your CD based music system and you can explore a computer based system if you feel like it. CDs are pretty easy to rip on a computer and all you need is a device that does a good job of converting the digital information to analog. If you want to future proof your system, you might want an integrated amp with digital inputs like this from NAD, NAD C 356DAC Stereo integrated amplifier with add-on DAC module at Crutchfield.com, or this from Onkyo, Onkyo A-9070 Stereo integrated amplifier with built-in DAC at Crutchfield.com.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I got into "computer audio" a few years ago. I used the CD burner in my laptop to get CD's to iTunes. At that time I did not have a enough hard drive space to accommodate my entire CD collection when copied lossless. Nevertheless, when I connected my laptop via USB to S/PDIF optical to my pre/pro's internal dac, MP3 files from my iTunes library sounded almost as good as CD direct. Today, I have a new laptop with more space so I'm ripping my CD's now to lossless files on my laptop. So far, it is proving out to be very convenient and it sounds great. I don't see me buying a stand alone CD player for any reason, maybe, an SACD player, but not a CD player simply because it appears the CD player would fill no need. I do like CD's however as a "real music library" does have many advantages. The only thing I do not like about my current computer audio arrangement is the USB cable from laptop to Sound Blaster HD and S/PDIF cable from Sound Blaster to pre/pro. My wife complains she's always tripping over the cables. Maybe there's a solution, I don't know.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I got into "computer audio" a few years ago. I used the CD burner in my laptop to get CD's to iTunes. At that time I did not have a enough hard drive space to accommodate my entire CD collection when copied lossless. Nevertheless, when I connected my laptop via USB to S/PDIF optical to my pre/pro's internal dac, MP3 files from my iTunes library sounded almost as good as CD direct. Today, I have a new laptop with more space so I'm ripping my CD's now to lossless files on my laptop. So far, it is proving out to be very convenient and it sounds great. I don't see me buying a stand alone CD player for any reason, maybe, an SACD player, but not a CD player simply because it appears the CD player would fill no need. I do like CD's however as a "real music library" does have many advantages. The only thing I do not like about my current computer audio arrangement is the USB cable from laptop to Sound Blaster HD and S/PDIF cable from Sound Blaster to pre/pro. My wife complains she's always tripping over the cables. Maybe there's a solution, I don't know.
A great way go. MY wife likes the idea of a simple access of a song on file and hitting play. Computer audio is getting more interesting each day and not that expensive .

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
You can always go wireless.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Call me old-fashioned, but I like to use CDs when I play audio, but 500 dollars for a CD player seems a bit extreme to me. You could get a nice sub for that much.

If you wanted to go the media route it would be a lot more work. I don't really like ripping my collection and then playing it when I can simply pop the CD in and listen. A simple 2 channel HK receiver with a one disc player sounds like the perfect solution. You could also use a real power amp if you like to crank it. If you only want to play CDs I personally like the no frills approach an Amp and a CD player, but I understand that some folks want a receiver.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Call me old-fashioned, but I like to use CDs when I play audio, but 500 dollars for a CD player seems a bit extreme to me. You could get a nice sub for that much.

If you wanted to go the media route it would be a lot more work. I don't really like ripping my collection and then playing it when I can simply pop the CD in and listen. A simple 2 channel HK receiver with a one disc player sounds like the perfect solution. You could also use a real power amp if you like to crank it. If you only want to play CDs I personally like the no frills approach an Amp and a CD player, but I understand that some folks want a receiver.
Alot more work not sure about that, ok, you download some files from iTunes, Amazon or HDtracks to your PC's hard drive, copy to your USB drive. Plug USB drive into a AVR or a player (ex; oppo ) that can accommodate a USB drive, access the file and bingo your now into media or copy files to a external harddrive and access that drive via a wired or wireless connection from the AVR or a player select the file and play. Not that difficult. But, I also kinda like to take that CD and set into the Rega's top and watch it read and play, kinda timeless and cool.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis