Help Identifying Circuit Board

N

new2thisstuff

Audiophyte
I have purchased a home with preexisting home theater wiring that is attached to a circuit board and need help identifying exactly what this is. There are 10 speakers throughout the home with 4 in the den. I'm assuming I can used this for 5.1 surround sound and would like to make use of the others as well to be able to have audio from sporting events or maybe something completely different than what is going on in the den. I have a picture of the circuit board but could not figure out how to attach it to this post. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
upload it to imgur: the simple image sharer and post a link. it wont allow you to post links ether, but if you break a bit , it I am sure we could figure it out

But chances of identifying circuit board are very slim in any case

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I'm guessing it isn't a circuit board, but a speaker distribution plate. Most likely something that may look like this:
cv-c1001_1_150r.jpg
Or it could be a bunch of 5-way binding posts like this:
S-550-050.jpg
It may be something completely different, but those are the most common interfaces seen for speaker distribution in a home.

N

new2thisstuff

Audiophyte
Thanks for your response. I'm showing my lack of knowledge here, but what do I do with that? Do I need it on order to connect speakers to a receiver?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N

new2thisstuff

Audiophyte
Thanks for your response. I'm really showing my lack of knowledge here but what do I do with it? Do I need to keep it in tact? There are wall volume controls in various rooms that I failed to mention so I don't know if it relates to those at all. Do I need to leave this in tact in order to hook up a receiver? I don't even know what kind of receiver to get. Sorry for all the beginner questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N

new2thisstuff

Audiophyte
Thanks for your response. I'm really showing my lack of knowledge here but what do I do with it? Do I need to keep it in tact? There are wall volume controls in various rooms that I failed to mention so I don't know if it relates to those at all. Do I need to leave this in tact in order to hook up a receiver? I don't even know what kind of receiver to get. Sorry for all the beginner questions.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Your picture doesn't show up, at least for me.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
That is part of a Russound system, and it is the speaker distribution board.

Russound are one of the market leaders in distributed home audio.

I have no idea what system was in there, but it looks like an older system. It sounds as if you have at least impedance matching volume controls in the rooms, and may be something more complex.

It looks like it is a stereo system, with 4 sets of right and left speakers. I suspect the input impedance at the input of that board is 8 or 4 ohms, but I can not be certain of that.

I think you should contact Russound, or a Russound installer to tell you exactly what you have in your house. That way you won't blow up a new receiver and void the warranty.

Do not make any changes until you understand what you have. I suspect this was a complete Russound system, and is now missing the distribution amp.

This is definitely a two channel system and not a 5.1 stereo system. This was a background music system and NOT a home theater system, nor will you be able to adapt it as such.

If it is home theater you want, then forget that system, and build a 5.1 system in the room or rooms you want. Forget ceiling speakers for home theater.

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
That is a standard Russound connecting block similar to this:

x543EZB1SC-F.jpeg

It is not impedance matching, and merely takes the output from an amplifier, or from zone 2 of an A/V receiver (powered) and distributes it out to up to four speaker pairs. It is similar to a speaker selector, but is cheaper, and doesn't allow you to turn the speakers on/off. If it is sitting out in the open, you have issues with it potentially shorting out or bringing the system down. I would prefer not to use it in favor of a in-wall mounted unit.

SpkrDistPlate.jpg
Wireless Speakers | Wall Volume Control | Speaker Switcher | Ceiling Speakers | Inwall Speakers | Speaker Wire

Still, what you have will take in an audio signal and send that audio out to four pairs of speakers. If they aren't identified, you should identify which speaker wire runs to which speaker and label the cables. Your surround system in the local room should have their own cables which also should be labeled and can be connected to an A/V receiver.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
That is a standard Russound connecting block similar to this:

View attachment 12953

It is not impedance matching, and merely takes the output from an amplifier, or from zone 2 of an A/V receiver (powered) and distributes it out to up to four speaker pairs. It is similar to a speaker selector, but is cheaper, and doesn't allow you to turn the speakers on/off. If it is sitting out in the open, you have issues with it potentially shorting out or bringing the system down. I would prefer not to use it in favor of a in-wall mounted unit.

View attachment 12954
Wireless Speakers | Wall Volume Control | Speaker Switcher | Ceiling Speakers | Inwall Speakers | Speaker Wire

Still, what you have will take in an audio signal and send that audio out to four pairs of speakers. If they aren't identified, you should identify which speaker wire runs to which speaker and label the cables. Your surround system in the local room should have their own cables which also should be labeled and can be connected to an A/V receiver.
The Op does have in wall units, which are almost certainly impedance matching controls. There are too many speakers reported by the OP to work with this board and the number of speakers he accounted for.

The other issue is, he wants a 5.1 system, this will not happen with this set up.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis