Help - I think I just Fried My Amp

R

Ruben1

Audiophyte
I have a Phase Linear 400 Series I amp paired with Infinity RSIIIB speakers and the sound quality is great. Today I was listening to music at a moderate to high level when, during a passage with heavy drums, the amp went dead with the 2 VU needles pegged to the right side. One of the fuses blew and when I replaced it it blew again (the one furthest from the transformer). Exactly what do you believe happened to the amp? Could the speakers be damaged as well? Thanks.

F

footman

Junior Audioholic
Be methodical

It could be worst case scenario but do not panic be methodical. Disconnect electronics from power source and wait a few minutes. While waiting check interconnects and speaker wiring for any fraying or debris that could cause a short. Heavy bass can move things around as can repositioning equipment. Boot up and see what happens. Good luck.

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Audioholic Field Marshall
I would do what footman suggests and, if you have another amp, try the speakers on that amp. That will help you to find out whether the problem is in the amp, speakers or both. You might try the reverse if you're a risk-taker (PL amp and other speakers) but if fuses keep blowing, that isn't good and if the amp is shorted, it might hurt the other speakers. I would try replacing both fuses at the same time (the one not blown might be almost gone) and check to be sure that there are no single wire strands from the speaker wires that are shorting out. If everything looks good though and the amp still blows fuses without apparent cause, then it looks bad. I lost a wonderful vintage Carver 400 WPC amp last summer to a lightning strike and the symptoms were similar. The outcome wasn't good....fried. Fortunately, however, the Vandersteen speakers came out OK.

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
Those Phase Linear 400 amps are somewhat notorious for self destructing. You probably have some shorted output transistors. Have it checked by a tech. If you want to make sure it is infact the amp just unplug all your speaker wires and interconnects. It will still blow fuses. I had a 400B at one time and nealy half the output transistors were bad. And theres Alot of them.

R

Ruben1

Audiophyte
As a follow on let me ask this. If the literature for the speaker states that the recommended amp should be 200WPC into 8 ohms and the PL is rated as such why would the amp not be able to handle the load presented by the speakers regardless of volume level?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
As a follow on let me ask this. If the literature for the speaker states that the recommended amp should be 200WPC into 8 ohms and the PL is rated as such why would the amp not be able to handle the load presented by the speakers regardless of volume level?
It may not be the speaker's fault but the amp gave up prematurely.:eek:
You need to troubleshoot as mentioned above.

R

Ruben1

Audiophyte
GOD MUST LOVE INFINITY SPEAKERS!!!

I just hooked up my RSIIIB's to my second Phase Linear 400 Series I amp and with great trepidation I played something very familiar to me to see what the damage was from the amp failure. To my still amazement the speakers played PERFECTLY!!!! :)

I don't know what saved them but they made it. Now to see what the shop tells me about the amp failure.

Thank you everyone for all your replies.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis