Help hooking up DVD & VCR to older TV with no cable TV

G

Greenbay

Audiophyte
Hi,

I am trying to figure out how to hook up a DVD player and VCR (currently hooked up to the TV) to my older TV that only has the antenna space in the back and that other connector thing. I have another newer TV that I would like to hook up a DVD player to and that TV has a VCR hooked up to it also. That TV has yellow and white plug in areas on the back and the antenna space. I do not have cable TV.

Does my question make sense?

Can anyone provide me with suggestions on what I need to purchase to connect all of these things and where the item(s) may be purchased?

Thank you

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Greenbay said:
Hi,

I am trying to figure out how to hook up a DVD player and VCR (currently hooked up to the TV) to my older TV that only has the antenna space in the back and that other connector thing. I have another newer TV that I would like to hook up a DVD player to and that TV has a VCR hooked up to it also. That TV has yellow and white plug in areas on the back and the antenna space. I do not have cable TV.

Does my question make sense?

Can anyone provide me with suggestions on what I need to purchase to connect all of these things and where the item(s) may be purchased?

Thank you

On the newer TV, you should be able to hook up your DVD player with a video cable going to the yellow input on the TV, from the DVD's yellow video output. This should be in the owner's manual for the DVD as well.
Also, for the sound, it seems that the newer TV is a monophonic sound only with only a white input. Just plug in the white from the DVD player, however, it will be only one side of the stereo. Not sure if the DVD can be set for mono output. That is so ancient.:rolleyes:

Your old TV most likely will not accept the output from the DVD player as you need an RF type of video signal, somewhat different from the DVD video output.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
mtrycrafts said:
Your old TV most likely will not accept the output from the DVD player as you need an RF type of video signal, somewhat different from the DVD video output.
A device called a "RF modulator" can accomplish this. From your source you plug in the yellow video and the red/white audio outputs and it comes out as a 75 ohm RF signal. They are about $30 or so and are available almost everywhere including Radio Shack.

It's the lowest quality way to watch a video source, but when your options are limited by the TV, there's not much you can do.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis