Help connecting speakers to my Sansui 8000

My question is: Is this safe to do, or will I end up burning/blowing up something?

• Yes it's safe

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • - No, it isn't!

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters
J

Jose F. Clark

Enthusiast
Hi, I need help deciding whether or not the arrangement of speakers I'm trying to subject my Sansui 8000 receiver. My receiver has 2 speaker set outputs: A & B and below is an image of what I want to do. My question is: Is this safe to do, or will I end up burning/blowing up something?
Speaker conections.jpg

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Well, considering that the warning plainly written right above the terminals where you’d be plugging in the speakers says you can’t connect more than two pairs of 8-ohm speakers, I’m going with “burn/blow up.”

By the way, a little tip: You you can’t get surround sound from a stereo receiver.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Okay, just noticed that you have a series connection scheme, although I can’t figure out what that “sub + +” thing is. The thing with series connections is that each pair added it reduces power output by half. Assuming 8-ohm speakers, you will have a 16-ohm load on both the A and B terminals, which when run together will be paralleled to make an 8-ohm load.

That’s an easy load for the receiver, but the problem is that your 120-watt rating is divided down to each speaker. This means each speaker in your connection scheme will only be getting 15 watts. Which means you’ll probably end up running the receiver wide open all the time to get any decent volume out of it. Of course, running an amplifier near wide open all the time is not a good thing anymore than driving your car at 120 MPH all the time is. So I’m sticking with “burn/blow up,” although it will be a slow death.

Of course, this isn’t even considering whatever the sub thing is all about...

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I assume he intends to use sub with hi-level left/right inputs

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Hell, Walter (Duque) doesn't even push his amps that hard!

Definitely a formula for quick death (or, if you are lucky, proving out the protection circuitry)

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Just run the two pairs of main 8 ohm speakers in series and connect the powered sub in parallel to them. It'll probably sound like a$$ but it shouldn't blow the amp.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I would either save that receiver for true stereo setup or sell it and get surround receiver for your purposes.

J

Jose F. Clark

Enthusiast

Well, considering that the warning plainly written right above the terminals where you’d be plugging in the speakers says you can’t connect more than two pairs of 8-ohm speakers, I’m going with “burn/blow up.”

By the way, a little tip: You you can’t get surround sound from a stereo receiver.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Thank you for your reply but the warning plainly written right above the terminals only says that, if I connect 2 pairs of speakers, each should be 8 ohms or more. Also, I'm not after surround sound per say, what I'm after is sound immersion - the experience one only gets in the front pit of a rock concert.

J

Jose F. Clark

Enthusiast

Okay, just noticed that you have a series connection scheme, although I can’t figure out what that “sub + +” thing is. The thing with series connections is that each pair added it reduces power output by half. Assuming 8-ohm speakers, you will have a 16-ohm load on both the A and B terminals, which when run together will be paralleled to make an 8-ohm load.

That’s an easy load for the receiver, but the problem is that your 120-watt rating is divided down to each speaker. This means each speaker in your connection scheme will only be getting 15 watts. Which means you’ll probably end up running the receiver wide open all the time to get any decent volume out of it. Of course, running an amplifier near wide open all the time is not a good thing anymore than driving your car at 120 MPH all the time is. So I’m sticking with “burn/blow up,” although it will be a slow death.

Of course, this isn’t even considering whatever the sub thing is all about...

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Thanks again Wayne. I had hooked the same speaker combination before - cheaper speakers and different (100 watt) receiver - and found out I didn't need to go way up on the volume. Matter of fact, anything past a "4" setting (out of 10) was rattling enough as I sit on an easy chair in the middle of the speaker arrangement and each speaker is about 5 feet away from my ears. I didn't care waht happened to that cheap setup but for my Sansui 8000 I also have vintage Sansui 2700s which I DO NOT WANT DAMAGED!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Thank you for your reply but the warning plainly written right above the terminals only says that, if I connect 2 pairs of speakers, each should be 8 ohms or more. Also, I'm not after surround sound per say, what I'm after is sound immersion - the experience one only gets in the front pit of a rock concert.
The situation is: if you connect two 8ohm speakers, you have a 4 ohm load. Essentially the amp label is saying the amp will be damaged if the impedance goes lower than this.
If you add more speakers you are dropping the impedance further which is a problem.
Add to that the fact that many speakers rate their products at 8 ohms despite having dips into 4 ohms or below (impedance varies as the frequency of the signal varies), and you have a situation which will kill your amp.
I wouldn't hook up more than two pairs, and even then I would do my best to find impedance measurements for that speaker.

Case in point:

Although Harman rates the Infinity Primus P363 as 8-ohm speakers, what I measured tells a much different story. These are clearly 4-ohm speakers. They appear to be tuned just below 50Hz, but the saddle points are quite asymmetric. This indicates a system tuning too low for the available box size needed to produce a more optimal response. The 4 ohm dip between 100Hz to 200Hz is a bit concerning for those wanting to use these speakers with budget A/V receivers. Even if bass managed, these speakers can present a rather strenuous load if the amplifiers in the A/V receiver don’t take kindly to 4-ohm loads. I found that Infinity employed a 4-ohm tweeter as evident by the impedance dip above 10kHz. I believe they did this in attempt to increase speaker sensitivity.
Link to review:
http://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/primus-p363/primus-p363-measurements

PS I have a Sansui AU-717, about 35 years old now. I damaged it by playing two pairs of speakers without checking the impedance of the speakers. I had it rebuilt because I get attached to my favorite gear. It was an expensive fix, costing more than I paid for the unit (1980).
Take better care of yours!

Edit: I see I'm a day late and a dollar short. Wayne knows his stuff and I also missed that you were attaching in series.

Last edited:
rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Jose, have you given any thought to sound stage (the 3D aural canvas where instruments originate), imaging (accurate placement of instruments within the sound stage), time alignment of your speakers at your primary listening position, addressing room nodes (where reflected sound waves interact with the primary sound) for each speaker at your primary listening position, or indeed any aspect of the sound other than loud and from everywhere? I mean, you can sit in your car and get that.

If you've got great speakers that are properly time-aligned and you're sitting in the sweet spot, you can get the immersive sound and experience your audio nirvana with just two speakers.

I think you should take yourself and some of your favorite music, maybe a blu-ray or two, to a local brick and mortar audio shop -- not a chain like Best Buy, but a locally owned business selling PSB, Paradigm, GoldenEar, or some other higher end speakers. Plan to spend at least a couple of hours if you can. Let them demonstrate how a well-executed home audio system can sound. I think by pursuing your current goal, you'll be doing yourself a disservice. You simply don't know what you're missing, and that's not an insult. I just get the impression that you haven't experienced what the rest of us have yet. You don't know what it is that you don't know.

The situation is: if you connect two 8ohm speakers, you have a 4 ohm load. Essentially the amp label is saying the amp will be damaged if the impedance goes lower than this.
In series, two 8 ohm speakers would result in a 16-ohm load. Two pairs of 8 ohm speakers wired in series-parallel will present an 8 ohm load (8*2 in series = 16, two 16Ω pairs in parallel = 8Ω). But each will have 1/4 of the power. Wayne has it right in post #4.

Last edited:
J

Jose F. Clark

Enthusiast
Thank you Kurt - I'm the original owner of my Sansui 800 & 4 pairs of Sansui 2700 speakers. I bought them all at the Navy Exchage in Guam, back in 1973 for a lot less $$$ than they would have cost me back in the states. I do NOT want to harm any of those pieces - That's why I tried the setup first on a cheap arrangement.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Thanks very much for your service Jose!

I notice from on-line pictures that the Sansui 8000 has pre-out and main-in jacks. What you could do is use the pre-out jacks to connect an additional amplifier(s) for the three extra pairs of speakers. Everything would work fine then with no risk of damage to your valuable vintage gear.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

Thanks very much for your service Jose!

I notice from on-line pictures that the Sansui 8000 has pre-out and main-in jacks. What you could do is use the pre-out jacks to connect an additional amplifier(s) for the three extra pairs of speakers. Everything would work fine then with no risk of damage to your valuable vintage gear.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Does it do anything problematic to the pre-out signal to daisy-chain RCA Y-splitters?
Is that how you would do it?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Does it do anything problematic to the pre-out signal to daisy-chain RCA Y-splitters?
There's no need to daisy chain splitters here. To bring a sub into the picture, you would just need one M/M/F per channel: Jump the pre out and main in with the 2 males and run the female to the sub's line input. I've been doing that for years.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
There's no need to daisy chain splitters here. To bring a sub into the picture, you would just need one M/M/F per channel: Jump the pre out and main in with the 2 males and run the female to the sub's line input. I've been doing that for years.
Maybe I'm missing something, but in Wayne's response that I was replying to, I was envisioning at least two amps involved (one of which could be the Sansui). I agree with what you are saying if he just wants to tap into the pre-out for his sub.

Last edited:
J

Jose F. Clark

Enthusiast
Thank you again Kurt. I had always connected 2 pairs of speakers to my amp - channeled through a "room selector" box, to let me choose to listen to my music either in my bedroom, or in the living room. I've had to move all my equipment out to a single room, to accomodate family needs for more modern audio/video equipment. That's when I came up with the 8-speaker (10-speaker, if you count the 2 subwoofrs) idea. In the new room, I have used sound-absorbing materials (floor, walls, and ceiling) to turn it into a sound-studio like place. Now, I lost the amp's user manual a long time ago and through the years, I never had reason to use the Preamp - Power Amp options. I would like some info about those 2 connections: what's the differnce between the two - what's the max load and/or impedance they support?

J

Jose F. Clark

Enthusiast
Thank you Mark. As I told Kurt, I never had reason to use the Preamp - Power Amp options. I would like some info about those 2 connections: what's the differnce between the two - what's the max load and/or impedance they support? Also, I'm considering his option to bring an additional amp into the game. I recently had an opportunity to uy a vintage Sansui amp - not an 8000, but was told it could be found. If I did get another amp, how would I connect them together?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis